• Poor
    • Very Poor
  2. 2. Referee's Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

People have lost their heads. Leicester is a superb team who can legitimately chase the title. I never thought we would win this one, but steady, muckers ...

What the ****

Just no.

People haven't lost their heads and Leicester can't 'legitimately chase the title'.

Well what an awful day. I was on row 4 and even the Leicester stewards were practically celebrating in our faces when the goals went in. I turned to my brother as the clock hit 80 minutes and said: "well, this is when we always concede". Less than 10 minutes later we've conceded another two goals and famously **** up another match from an almost certain winnable position.

In my mind we lost for two main reasons:

1. Sherwood was out-thought tactically for the second away game in a row. In many ways, this match mirrored the Palace defeat as we were pretty dominant and comfortable in the first-half. Ranieri and Pardew saw things weren't working and changed things to great affect whilst Sherwood couldn't match them in the tactics department. I've never been a big fan of 'Fat Sam' but I was quite pleased to see him highlight Sherwood's tactical failings on MOTD as that will now surely get back to Tim and Wilkins and give them both food for thought. They need to learn from these mistakes and quick. I still think Sherwood has bought well this summer and I still think he can become a good manager but he HAS to take these mistakes onboard as they are pretty clear for all to see. For what it's worth, I'd have taken Gil off and put Clark in a defensive midfield position to track Mahrez who by the midway point of the second-half was running rampant through our whole team. I think that'd shored up things and got us the result.

2. We have almost a whole new team and yet this 'losing mentality' seems to still hang over the Club. Sherwood even acknowledged that this was a problem after the FA Cup Final in May and yet it seems like nothing has changed even after having completed a massive overhaul of the squad this summer. We're so, so fragile even when 2-0 up and even with leaders like Richards and Lescott on the pitch we still lost our heads and completely lost our shape, concentration and fell apart. From the stands it was just so painfully inevitable but I'm really not sure what can be done to halt this cloud hanging over the club. It has gone on for years, even before Lerner came here.

You have to look at the positives and for 65 minutes I thought we were the better team. Our fans were superb and completely out sung Leicester who could only muster a chant with the help of an annoying drum. Lescott was very assured in the first-half and I think he'll be a good signing. We scored two excellent goals and Gil and Grealish look like they play well together which is a big positive.

Sherwood prides himself on being able to make big decisions so here what I think he needs to do:

- Drop Guzan and give Bunn a run in the side. Guzan was calamitous for that third goal and his distribution is beyond woeful - I think we need to see what Bunn can do.
- Drop Gabby and stick Sinclair up front alongside a target man (I'd prefer Kozak over Gestede) 
- Explain to the players just how much he and the players have let the fans down today and make sure we come out fighting for the two derby matches. Two wins has to be the objective now and anything other than that will be very disappointing given today.

I've been really positive about our season up until now but today has really knocked the stuffing out of me. We should be discussing an important win, not a loss.

Really good post, I think I agree with everything you have said. As I stated earlier on in this thread the tactical ineptness really worries me. TS has to learn and fast, surely that is what Wilkins is supposed to bring to the party but I see no evidence of any effect.

We do seem to have cornered the market in managers who just don't know how to change games or react in games. It started with MON and everyone since, except Houllier, has been the same. OT for this thread so I will shut up now.

Thanks and yes, Wilkins has vast experience in the game and you'd like to think he would be able to guide Sherwood better during a game than he currently is at present.

I might be completely wrong but does anyone think part of Sherwood's problem is he gets so emotionally involved during the game that it almost blurs his thinking? He almost acts as a fan would in the stand = on instinct - rather than with a cool, calm calculated reading of the game. After all, the team he started with yesterday was pretty much spot on and found themselves 2-0 up. It was the "in game" tactics which he got so horribly wrong. Does his persona on the touchline actually hinder him in this respect?

His in game tactics have been his biggest weakness so far in is tenure here.

His apparent inability to change our team or react to changes the other manager makes is costing us at times.

Definitely the thing he has to learn from most so far

People have lost their heads. Leicester is a superb team who can legitimately chase the title. I never thought we would win this one, but steady, muckers ...

What the ****

Just no.

People haven't lost their heads and Leicester can't 'legitimately chase the title'.

I think you need to tell Jamie Vardy to stop running so fast then?

If you think they could win the league then you can currently get 2,500/1 on that happening.

If you think 'legitimate title chase' means a top 4 finish then you can get 125/1 on that.

If you think they can win it excluding the big 4 then you can get 25/1 on that.

Hell you can even get 18/1 for a top 6 finish.

Basically, there's a reason the bookies have Leicester at such long odds.  It's because they will never keep up that pace.  History tells us that the cream eventually rises to the top and the rest fade away.

If you think they could win the league then you can currently get 2,500/1 on that happening.

If you think 'legitimate title chase' means a top 4 finish then you can get 125/1 on that.

Basically, there's a reason the bookies have Leicester at such long odds.  It's because they will never keep up that pace.  History tells us that the cream eventually rises to the top and the rest fade away.

Where do I claim Leicester are going to win the title? No. Do they look like a club chasing a comfy mid-table spot? No.

C-H-A-S-E: Collins:

1. to follow or run after (a person, animal, or goal) persistently or quickly

Where do I claim Leicester are going to win the title? No. Do they look like a club chasing a comfy mid-table spot? No.

Slow down.  I never said you said they would win it. I was merely giving you the odds for that scenario if you fancied a flutter.  I then gave you the odds for what is the more likely interpretation of 'legitimate title chase' i.e. a top 4 finish.  It's odd that you complain about one of the four scenarios I gave you.  That'll teach me to be thorough.

On a related note :
I-F: Collins:

• in case that, or on condition that

Slow down.  I never said you said they would win it. I was merely giving you the odds for that scenario if you fancied a flutter.  I then gave you the odds for what is the more likely interpretation of 'legitimate title chase' i.e. a top 4 finish.  It's odd that you complain about one of the four scenarios I gave you.  That'll teach me to be thorough.

On a related note :
I-F: Collins:

• in case that, or on condition that

I'm not complaining. I really am not. But I'm odd. :wacko: I'll grant that.

Sorry, not a betting man :) but I don't actually at all think Foxes will win. I mostly think they play an all-out sort of style (for now) and they happen to be in No. 2 spot, so I think they'll keep "going for it." My larger point is that they are very good team and we almost beat them (if not for strange tactics), but yes, it does seem to me people were losing it after the loss, "we're going down." 

• Like 1

Yep I think the thing is people on here rightly or wrongly (I would say rightly) have Leicester as fundamentally a bottom half side that are currently in a false position albeit with the wind in their sails. So you don't go into the game with the mindset and (lack of) aspirations that you would if they were a genuine top 4 team. They were there to be shot at and we proved that before Tim went mental. So the disappointment was not just that they were 'only' Leicester. It was that we had proven they were 'only' Leicester for 72 minutes and then made an absolute horlicks of it. Hard to take when it's essentially self-inflicted.

• Like 1

So the disappointment was not just that they were 'only' Leicester. It was that we had proven they were 'only' Leicester for 72 minutes and then made an absolute horlicks of it. Hard to take when it's essentially self-inflicted.

Brilliant observation and well put, gets at the subtleties of the thinking. I see what you mean now.