• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

Sherwood out.

Lerner out.

Aston Villa out.

Weve become a vile, nothingness of a club. I hope to god when we get relegated this season we dont do a Leeds or Pompey and disappear into obscurity.

But WHEN we go do, i fear for the future of the club...

aslong as the fans stand by the club thats all that matters, leeds and pompey still have the fans behind them and thats what makes a club.

I could stand by the club if i felt that any one of them were not completely inept.

Losing to Leicester or even getting relegated i can live with, however today the players showed they dont give a crap and theyve been that way for a while now. That attidude doesnt just sprout out of the ether, its coming from someone or something within the club. Its been apparent under multiple managers over the last few years and until that changes, im done. The club i support doesnt give up at the first sign of things not going its way, and as soon as leicester scored the players heads all dropped.

I know people will say its endemic of the modern game, and that players are only in it for the money these days. To that i call bull shut! Take one look at the opposition today to see what passion can do - we dont have that within the club and that sickens me to my core.

• Like 1

The ref did seem to be giving everything to them and nothing to us. I do wonder how much that affects what the players feel they can get away with.

Perhaps we wouldn't have been quite as shit without a bent ref.

Absolute bullshit. On another day we'd easily have had a penalty given against us late in the second half. Not an exceptional ref, but he did fine, the blame for today's defeat rests with this club, not the officials.

The ref did seem to be giving everything to them and nothing to us. I do wonder how much that affects what the players feel they can get away with.

Perhaps we wouldn't have been quite as shit without a bent ref.

Absolute bullshit. On another day we'd easily have had a penalty given against us late in the second half. Not an exceptional ref, but he did fine, the blame for today's defeat rests with this club, not the officials.

so you say that what I've said is absolute bullshit and then disagree with something I haven't actually said?

Please either try and find some manners or don't bother interacting with me, because it won't be seen.

Today was yet more proof that Sherwood can set a team up but struggles with reacting to the developing match. It's something that might improve with time, but you wonder what the supposedly more experienced Wilkins is telling him. The two goals were great, really nice strikes, but the substitutions were baffling and the way the players collapsed was shameful. Unless we get things together sharpish we're going to be in trouble again this season.

• Like 1

So we have Gana out, he seems to do the most work in midfield and his replacement is? We now have 2 men doing three people's work. Deceptive because they did quite well in the first half. 2 Leicester subs later we lost midfield completely. I'd like to think this was Tim being out-thought by a more experienced manager, but all of us could see it quite easily.

We just don't know to control games. 2-0 up, Leicester completely flat, good teams know how to build on that position. Do we have anyone who can tell the players to calm down, relax, keep the ball? The manager? The captain?  I was shouting it at the screen. We were panicking, being sloppy and giving the ball away cheaply, all of which encouraged Leicester to win the 50:50s and take back control.

This happens season after season after season. It is getting beyond a joke.

My internet was down after the game,  but 7 hours later, I'm still disgusted by that. After they tied it,  you just knew we'd totally collapse and lose. Dread is such a consistent feature of watching Villa. Total dread. Its soul destroying. We hadvthe game on the shelf, and the manager decides to tinker. Thd whole game turned when Gil came off. Pointless substitution, and one that had ghe immediate effdct of us no longer being on the front foot. Then another pointless sub. Sherwood bottled it, end of. Two beautiful goals chucked away by inept in game management. The players bear some burden for this debacle, but they should never have been in the situation to begin with. Too often Sherwood waits too long to make changes, today he did when he dint have to. He threw a wrench into good team chemistry, and reaped the rewards.  

Pathetic.

But we go again, eh?

• Like 1

Well what an awful day. I was on row 4 and even the Leicester stewards were practically celebrating in our faces when the goals went in. I turned to my brother as the clock hit 80 minutes and said: "well, this is when we always concede". Less than 10 minutes later we've conceded another two goals and famously **** up another match from an almost certain winnable position.

In my mind we lost for two main reasons:

1. Sherwood was out-thought tactically for the second away game in a row. In many ways, this match mirrored the Palace defeat as we were pretty dominant and comfortable in the first-half. Ranieri and Pardew saw things weren't working and changed things to great affect whilst Sherwood couldn't match them in the tactics department. I've never been a big fan of 'Fat Sam' but I was quite pleased to see him highlight Sherwood's tactical failings on MOTD as that will now surely get back to Tim and Wilkins and give them both food for thought. They need to learn from these mistakes and quick. I still think Sherwood has bought well this summer and I still think he can become a good manager but he HAS to take these mistakes onboard as they are pretty clear for all to see. For what it's worth, I'd have taken Gil off and put Clark in a defensive midfield position to track Mahrez who by the midway point of the second-half was running rampant through our whole team. I think that'd shored up things and got us the result.

2. We have almost a whole new team and yet this 'losing mentality' seems to still hang over the Club. Sherwood even acknowledged that this was a problem after the FA Cup Final in May and yet it seems like nothing has changed even after having completed a massive overhaul of the squad this summer. We're so, so fragile even when 2-0 up and even with leaders like Richards and Lescott on the pitch we still lost our heads and completely lost our shape, concentration and fell apart. From the stands it was just so painfully inevitable but I'm really not sure what can be done to halt this cloud hanging over the club. It has gone on for years, even before Lerner came here.

You have to look at the positives and for 65 minutes I thought we were the better team. Our fans were superb and completely out sung Leicester who could only muster a chant with the help of an annoying drum. Lescott was very assured in the first-half and I think he'll be a good signing. We scored two excellent goals and Gil and Grealish look like they play well together which is a big positive.

Sherwood prides himself on being able to make big decisions so here what I think he needs to do:

- Drop Guzan and give Bunn a run in the side. Guzan was calamitous for that third goal and his distribution is beyond woeful - I think we need to see what Bunn can do.
- Drop Gabby and stick Sinclair up front alongside a target man (I'd prefer Kozak over Gestede) 
- Explain to the players just how much he and the players have let the fans down today and make sure we come out fighting for the two derby matches. Two wins has to be the objective now and anything other than that will be very disappointing given today.

I've been really positive about our season up until now but today has really knocked the stuffing out of me. We should be discussing an important win, not a loss.

• Like 4

Well what an awful day. I was on row 4 and even the Leicester stewards were practically celebrating in our faces when the goals went in. I turned to my brother as the clock hit 80 minutes and said: "well, this is when we always concede". Less than 10 minutes later we've conceded another two goals and famously **** up another match from an almost certain winnable position.

In my mind we lost for two main reasons:

1. Sherwood was out-thought tactically for the second away game in a row. In many ways, this match mirrored the Palace defeat as we were pretty dominant and comfortable in the first-half. Ranieri and Pardew saw things weren't working and changed things to great affect whilst Sherwood couldn't match them in the tactics department. I've never been a big fan of 'Fat Sam' but I was quite pleased to see him highlight Sherwood's tactical failings on MOTD as that will now surely get back to Tim and Wilkins and give them both food for thought. They need to learn from these mistakes and quick. I still think Sherwood has bought well this summer and I still think he can become a good manager but he HAS to take these mistakes onboard as they are pretty clear for all to see. For what it's worth, I'd have taken Gil off and put Clark in a defensive midfield position to track Mahrez who by the midway point of the second-half was running rampant through our whole team. I think that'd shored up things and got us the result.

2. We have almost a whole new team and yet this 'losing mentality' seems to still hang over the Club. Sherwood even acknowledged that this was a problem after the FA Cup Final in May and yet it seems like nothing has changed even after having completed a massive overhaul of the squad this summer. We're so, so fragile even when 2-0 up and even with leaders like Richards and Lescott on the pitch we still lost our heads and completely lost our shape, concentration and fell apart. From the stands it was just so painfully inevitable but I'm really not sure what can be done to halt this cloud hanging over the club. It has gone on for years, even before Lerner came here.

You have to look at the positives and for 65 minutes I thought we were the better team. Our fans were superb and completely out sung Leicester who could only muster a chant with the help of an annoying drum. Lescott was very assured in the first-half and I think he'll be a good signing. We scored two excellent goals and Gil and Grealish look like they play well together which is a big positive.

Sherwood prides himself on being able to make big decisions so here what I think he needs to do:

- Drop Guzan and give Bunn a run in the side. Guzan was calamitous for that third goal and his distribution is beyond woeful - I think we need to see what Bunn can do.
- Drop Gabby and stick Sinclair up front alongside a target man (I'd prefer Kozak over Gestede) 
- Explain to the players just how much he and the players have let the fans down today and make sure we come out fighting for the two derby matches. Two wins has to be the objective now and anything other than that will be very disappointing given today.

I've been really positive about our season up until now but today has really knocked the stuffing out of me. We should be discussing an important win, not a loss.

Really good post, I think I agree with everything you have said. As I stated earlier on in this thread the tactical ineptness really worries me. TS has to learn and fast, surely that is what Wilkins is supposed to bring to the party but I see no evidence of any effect.

We do seem to have cornered the market in managers who just don't know how to change games or react in games. It started with MON and everyone since, except Houllier, has been the same. OT for this thread so I will shut up now.

It seemed pretty damn obvious that with Mahrez ( sorry if thats spelt wrong ) being moved to a more central role he would be the one expected to create things and have more influence in the game so why didn't we stick someone on him and show some composure for once , i'm so sick of us being so  damn sloppy with the ball at our feet , first half we controlled it we dictated play . Second half other than scoring an excellent finished goal we did quite simply bugger all 

• Like 1

People have lost their heads. Leicester is a superb team who can legitimately chase the title. I never thought we would win this one, but steady, muckers ...

you are right, they are a good side.....but they can all be good if you let them be.

We all talk about scoring goals, but 2 goals is ample to win a match....We have a massive work improvement to learn how to close a game down, embrace the business of being  pressed and learn how to come out on top.......The midfield and forwards need to learn how to embrace the necessary defensive qualities to win a game.  We need to learn how to  deal with players running at you.....We made Mahrez look like Messi.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Rather curiously, Mike Dean has now refereed nearly half of our league games this season (40%) and we've lost them.  I'm not saying he's the reason for either defeat.  It's just a fact that we have.  No more Mike please :)

• Like 1

Oh and we've already got 4 new scorers this season and it's only September (Gestede, Traore, Bennett & Grealish).  We had 7 new scorers all of last season (Cole, Hutton, Gil, Okore, Sinclair, Cleverley & Sanchez).