Have you ever moved to a different city/town in UK?

MCU

Just interested to see if anybody's ever relocated to somewhere else in the UK and for what reason? I don't particularly like where I live at the moment and always said I'd want to move away at some point. I've been to some lovely places in England both north and south. I don't particularly have any other reason to move away though. Other than work/family/uni do people even take the plunge?

Moved to Liverpool when my OH got a job here, never a city I had envisaged living in and didn't have a job for the first couple of months but things have fallen into place pretty nicely. I lived in a shared house at first which was a good way to make friends in a new city, obviously depends who you move in with! Was worth taking the plunge though.

For work purposes I have lived in London and Brighton, now back in Birmingham. I miss being in Brighton, there is something about living by the sea that makes you instantly feel better.

• Like 2

I've lived in Manchester, Blackburn, Stratford-upon-Avon, St Albans, Bramhall, Manchester again and also Nuremberg, Amsterdam and Vancouver.  I need a rest...

Man, you've been some places! Top 3 places you've lived including abroad?

For work purposes I have lived in London and Brighton, now back in Birmingham. I miss being in Brighton, there is something about living by the sea that makes you instantly feel better.

Brighton sounds a great place... but expensive!?

I've lived in Manchester, Blackburn, Stratford-upon-Avon, St Albans, Bramhall, Manchester again and also Nuremberg, Amsterdam and Vancouver.  I need a rest...

Brighton sounds a great place... but expensive!?

Brighton wasn't as expensive as you think. I am going back 14 years though and I lived on Clifton Street in Seven Dials which is just up the hill from the train station. It is certainly more expensive than Birmingham but not as bad as some places in London. Everything is relative though and I was on a London wage living in Brighton so it didn't seem too bad to me. I have been back a few times and I don't find it over expensive. It's like anywhere you go though, you can spend a lot of money there if you want to but you don't have to as is the case in all big cities. I think my 1 bedroom ground floor flat was about £240,000 back then, sounds expensive but it was a big flat and had a garden too. Worth paying a bit more to be able to walk down to the sea in 20 minutes :D

Blackburn surely has to be number 1 !!!

• Like 2

I've lived in Manchester, London, Birmingham, Bangkok, Cape Town, Oslo, Sydney, Prague, Buenos Aires, Barcelona, Mallorca and Ibiza. Never in each place longer than a year tho other than Birmingham and Barcelona. Being back in Brum now reminds me of why I've moved around so much. There's just not enough happening here. I suspect I'll be off again in a year or so. 

I've lived in Manchester, London, Birmingham, Bangkok, Cape Town, Oslo, Sydney, Prague, Buenos Aires, Barcelona, Mallorca and Ibiza. Never in each place longer than a year tho other than Birmingham and Barcelona. Being back in Brum now reminds me of why I've moved around so much. There's just not enough happening here. I suspect I'll be off again in a year or so. 

sounds like Interpol keep finding you  ....

• Like 2

Similarly nomadic existence for me.

Western Isles (of Scotland), London (on four occasions), Birmingham, Paris, Cardiff, Newport, East Kilbride and Glasgow. 

Despite saying I'd only come back down to London for a year, I've now been here 16 years. Not many places in the UK that I think I'd want to live now, if I had to move. Brighton would be on the list (I came close to getting a job there earlier this year and compared to London, it wasn't too expensive. From what I've seen of the rest of the country, I think Cardiff, Bristol or Manchester would be places I'd consider moving to. Ideally I'd be in Edinburgh but I don't think I could cope with the weather. 

I moved down to Portsmouth from Brum 7 years ago after starting a new job.  Previous to that, I was a bit of a bum travelling around the States (with summer work at the camps). I've also lived in West London for 4 years as part of a secondment deal.  I do miss friends and family in Brum but living in Portsmouth is pretty funky and I'm glad I took the plunge.   

• 1 month later...

Moved from Redditch to Oswestry (just on the welsh border past shrewsbury). Mrs works not too far away and I was offered a decent job in Cheshire. Still miss home, and my friends, but go back every 2 weeks if passing by.

Man how on earth did you live in Oslo, place is damn expensive!

• 3 months later...

Moved to Devon from kingstanding nearly 20 years ago. Then moved back to Brum for 6 months before moving to Leeds. Been here now for 15 years. Really like it as there is a great contrast between city and countryside. Don't really miss Brum, just friends, old haunts etc.  

Would like to live by the sea again soon. 

Â