Great Villa defeats

Zatman

My first Villa match -- and only one in person, at the Hawthorns on Dec. 21, 1974. Was with my English cousins and uncles. Changed my life ...
Starting lineup:

Goalkeeper - Jim Cumbes

Defender - Ian Ross

Defender/Centre back - Chris Nicholl

Defender/Midfielder - Leighton Phillips

Full back - John Robson

Left back - Charlie Aitken

Midfielder - Chico Hamilton

Forward - Bobby Campbell

Forward - Brian Little

Winger - Ray Graydon

Winger - Frank Carrodus

I loved that team.

• Like 1

My first Villa match -- and only one in person, at the Hawthorns on Dec. 21, 1974. Was with my English cousins and uncles. Changed my life ...
Starting lineup:

Goalkeeper - Jim Cumbes

Defender - Ian Ross

Full back - John Robson

Forward - Bobby Campbell

Forward - Brian Little

Winger - Ray Graydon

Winger - Frank Carrodus

I loved that team.

You weren't the only one lol ...

0,,10265~5893115,00.jpg

You understand, that's Chico Hamilton, right? And all those women? He was a heart-throb, apparently, right?

Edited by Plastic Man

Whilst I agree that there is no "great Villa defeat" because they all are tough to take I agree that the Arsenal defeat was nicely cushioned by taking the league title that afternoon thanks to Boro's victory over Ipswich.

Other than that the nearest I can get to a "great Villa defeat" was in the 1971 LCF when we did so very well as a then Division 3 team to all but turn over Spurs (who had ended the season 3rd in Division 1) at Wembley. But that defeat was such a bitter pill to swallow and I still cannot believe that Perryman got back to clear Andy Lochhead's goal bound effort that would have put us a goal ahead.  

Starting lineup:
Goalkeeper - Jim Cumbes
Defender - Ian Ross
Full back - John Robson
Forward - Bobby Campbell
Forward - Brian Little
Winger - Ray Graydon
Winger - Frank Carrodus

A bit before my time but even I know there's some great players in there. Little and Graydon in the same lineup - magic. My old man was furious when that squad was broken up. But then look what happened.

• Like 1

Starting lineup:
Goalkeeper - Jim Cumbes
Defender - Ian Ross
Full back - John Robson
Forward - Bobby Campbell
Forward - Brian Little
Winger - Ray Graydon
Winger - Frank Carrodus

A bit before my time but even I know there's some great players in there. Little and Graydon in the same lineup - magic. My old man was furious when that squad was broken up. But then look what happened.

Is Ray Graydon still available this January??? :D

I remember when I was younger, probably around 2001-2002 time we played man u at home and had about 25 shots and millered them all game. Think United had 3 shots, 1 on target and bloody won 1-0. Think it was something wierd as well like a Beckham header winner 

Wasn't there a similar match around that time when we were 2-0 up and lost 3-2? Think it was in the cup?

I remember going to watch Villa play Arsenal at Highbury in December 2001, so very shortly before Johnny Gregory resigned as manager, although obviously we didn't know that was on the cards. Villa had made a good start to the season but Arsenal were hot tips to win the league - they had a superb squad (and indeed they did win the league).

Gregory played Merson and Dublin up front and I remember Dublin being particularly good that afternoon, as well as Lee Hendrie and Steve Staunton. Villa completely outplayed Arsenal in the first half and went in 2-0 up. Dublin and Merson combined beautifully for the first goal and Steve Stone got the second, I think.

Unfortunately, Wenger had a lot of strength on the bench and he made some substitutions that helped Arsenal play a lot better and they got 2 back, Henry got their second. We left the ground at 89 minutes as it seemed to be petering out into a draw but heard a loud cheer as we reached the tube station - Henry had got the winner.

Sickening really - we did enough in the game to win and at least earn a draw.

Oh man, that Atletico game!  Still get chills.  We'd had a tough draw to get that far as well.  So much joy, so much fist pumping, and so much disappointment.  A vital life lesson for my younger self.  Obviously I was completely hooked.  That Collymore goal was like a shining Rocky jab to the abs of Ivan Drago.  I truly hope we get to hurt someone like that in the not too distant future...

Maybe not a 'great defeat', and it gets overshadowed by the 3-2 'Macheda comeback', but going 0-2 ahead at Old Trafford fielding a ridiculously inexperienced, and pretty poor, side and ending up drawing 2-2 was pretty galling.  We were absolute warriors that day, to a man.  Jonathan Hogg included.  I know it only lasted five minutes, but when Albrighton put in the second, wow, the roar was ripped right out of my stomach.  Where had it been hiding all this time? 

Jonathan Hogg, man, Jonathan Hogg.

Oh man, that Atletico game!  Still get chills.  We'd had a tough draw to get that far as well.  So much joy, so much fist pumping, and so much disappointment.  A vital life lesson for my younger self.  Obviously I was completely hooked.  That Collymore goal was like a shining Rocky jab to the abs of Ivan Drago.  I truly hope we get to hurt someone like that in the not too distant future...

Maybe not a 'great defeat', and it gets overshadowed by the 3-2 'Macheda comeback', but going 0-2 ahead at Old Trafford fielding a ridiculously inexperienced, and pretty poor, side and ending up drawing 2-2 was pretty galling.  We were absolute warriors that day, to a man.  Jonathan Hogg included.  I know it only lasted five minutes, but when Albrighton put in the second, wow, the roar was ripped right out of my stomach.  Where had it been hiding all this time? 

that was at villa park wasn't it? 

that was at villa park wasn't it? 

It was, but Macheda also scored a winner against us at Old Trafford, too.

Atletico for me. Cocede early, out of it. And then with 20 minutes to Taylor and Collymore in 2 minutes, bang bang and we're back in it. Then Hendrie has that great chance saved. So close. When the UEFA Cup mattered as well...

I often thought if we won that game we'd have gone on to win the Uefa cup that season...but then I looked at who played in the final and it was Inter Milan with Ronaldo at his peak upfront so perhaps not!

In recent times difficult to come up with a game as we've had so many dismal defeats. I'll probably go for Villa 1-2 Chelsea in May 2013, we were playing really well at the time and would've gone on to win that if Benteke hadn't have been sent off. Maybe the 3-2 to City last season falls into that category aswell.

I remember when I was younger, probably around 2001-2002 time we played man u at home and had about 25 shots and millered them all game. Think United had 3 shots, 1 on target and bloody won 1-0. Think it was something wierd as well like a Beckham header winner 

Wasn't there a similar match around that time when we were 2-0 up and lost 3-2? Think it was in the cup?

I was there, 3rd round of the cup I think.

this is it, there were some very big names on that pitch at the end. Veron was wasted by Ferguson, criminal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyIejoEroSY

Commentator, paraphrasing: "Off the pace it would appear in the Premiership, maybe the FA Cup is Aston Villa's only route to a trophy this season"

-_-

Yeah, it also wasn't mental to be mentioning us and trophies in the same sentence, we'd won 2 in the 8 or 9 years previous...

Â