Go To 'Last Unread Post' ?

Rob182

Question

Is there an 'automatically go to last post unread' function?

Despite clearing cookies/cache and trying a different browser, my VT still automatically takes me to the very first post in every thread I go to. Even when I click 'mark all content read', and then go into a thread after someone new has posted in there, it still takes me to the first post everytime.

I know there is the bullet to click on, but surely, when signed in, you shouldn't need to click on the bullet to NOT be taken to the first post of the thread?

It used to be if you click a thread from the old sidebar or from any of the most recent posts on the home page for each section it would take you to the first unread post. It was really convenient. Now you have to go to each subforum and click the star/bullet which can be annoying on mobile (my phone is pretty old). Also on the old mobile version, if you click any thread title (there was no bullet/star feature) it would automatically take you to the first unread as well.

Edited by Keyblade

Isn't that the way it's always been?

If I ever click on the title of a thread it takes me to the first post in that thread.

If I click on the "bullet" or star, it takes me to the first unread post. 

I've only used the mobile versions for the past few years, and as Keyblade says, when you clicked on any thread title it would take you either to the first unread post you hadn't seen, or if you'd already read the whole thread, it would take you to the newest post.

I didn't realise the full 'old' site didn't do that. I can't think of any reason why you would want to always be sent to the first post of a thread, especially when you're signed in and the site knows you've already read the last 100 pages of said thread.

Edited by Rob182
'Reason for edit' ? Is this new? :D I put 'too' instead of 'to', and I can't let it stay that way.

I don't know if you'd prefer this in the 'suggestions' thread Limpid, but I really think it makes sense for you to automatically be sent to the newest unread post when you click on the thread name, or to go to the newest post.

I can't, for the life of me, think of why you would want to be taken to the original post in a thread. In the same way that, when clicking on VillaTalk, you don't get taken to the very first thread that was ever created in the VillaTalk section.

To me, it just seems a bit pointless.

Edited by Rob182
  • Like 1

But my suggestion is that you shouldn't need to click on the bullet/star, and that clicking on the name of the thread could do the same thing. As I've said, I can't think of why you would want to be taken to the original post of the thread as 'default'.

In the same way that clicking on 'VillaTalk' takes you to the newest page of threads, which makes sense. If clicking on VillaTalk took you back to the first thread ever made in this topic, it'd get pretty annoying.

I agree with Rob. 

You used to have a "Go to first unread" link when you clicked on a post and were taken to the first post in a thread. That option has disappeared now. For ease of use going to the first unread is much simpler.

And you can do this. It's what the bullet/star is for at the start of the title. Same as before.

I still don't see the logic in removing the ability to have both options (which I assume this would)

As it stands you click the thread title to go to the start of the thread, or you click the bullet to go to the first unread post. You can do both.
If it was changed to be the title that also took you to the first unread post, then you'd have removed one of those functions.

I still don't see the logic in removing the ability to have both options (which I assume this would)

As it stands you click the thread title to go to the start of the thread, or you click the bullet to go to the first unread post. You can do both.
If it was changed to be the title that also took you to the first unread post, then you'd have removed one of those functions.

Not just this, but also which post do you go to if there are no unread posts?

Maybe it's a suggestion for a mobile skin then, because all I know, is that I only go on VT on my phone, and it's extremely fiddly to NEED to press the tiny bullet/star every time I go into a new thread.

I can't be the only person who only goes on VT on their phone, so I imagine it's something that many users are finding a bit of a pain.

I agree with Rob. 

You used to have a "Go to first unread" link when you clicked on a post and were taken to the first post in a thread. That option has disappeared now. For ease of use going to the first unread is much simpler.

And you can do this. It's what the bullet/star is for at the start of the title. Same as before.

Ok, i'm going to try to explain this again.

I know the star thing. It's fiddly and unwieldy when using a mobile phone.

Previously, when you clicked on a topic. It took you to the first post of that thread. 

At the top of that thread there was a link called "go to first unread post" which was a lot easier to click and find.

I know it's a first world problem and all that, but, I click on new posts, and then click the 20 or so threads I want to read in new tabs.

If I don't remember to click the star instead of the title, then it takes me to the first page of each thread, and from there, there is no way to get to the first unread post from the first page of that post, except for finding that thread in the forum list again and clicking the star.

So as per the attachment, how do I get to first unread from the first post, is my point. There used to be a link at the head of the page saying go to first unread. That is no longer there.

Untitled.jpg

Â