San Marino v Englahd

andykeenan

Everyone knows that San Marino aren't very good, so why does the commentator feel the need to remind us of that fact every 5mins? 

(Insert name) is 22yr old student, his opposition tonight..... (Dramatic pause) Alex Oxlade Chamberlain. It's so patronising and could be argued bloody unprofessional.

This is dreadful football. I don't really understand the point. Of course they're going to defend with 11 men behind the ball. So why are we just passing the ball around 30 yards out from goal? These guys are so crap that a bit of directness would help enormously. 

but but but but 'it's like a training exercise, it is so hard to break down 10 men, the pitch is shit and San Marino make it difficult'

Don't know what is more laughable. The performance or Hoddle's praise and excuses.

• Like 2

This is dreadful football. I don't really understand the point. Of course they're going to defend with 11 men behind the ball. So why are we just passing the ball around 30 yards out from goal? These guys are so crap that a bit of directness would help enormously. 

but but but but 'it's like a training exercise, it is so hard to break down 10 men, the pitch is shit and San Marino make it difficult'

Don't know what is more laughable. The performance or Hoddle's praise and excuses.

These guys are paid north of £100,000 a week, most of them, and they can't dribble the ball post a bunch of postmen. 

I honestly cannot be bothered with England. We are boring and I don't like many of the players we pick, there are also plenty who get called up who I feel aren't good enough, or haven't done enough.

I don't often agree with him, but Rodders has been pretty spot on in this thread.

• Like 2

I don't know what people expect from games like this exactly. You get your routine win and that's it. Performance isn't really something you can look at. I wonder if the Germans were all whinging and saying they arent going to watch anymore when they beat Gibraltar 4-0, at home.

• Like 1

I hope this isn't too off-topic, but could someone remind me why racism directed towards black people results in bans, fines and outrage whereas anti-Asian racism is rewarded with the privilege of an England start?  I'm not an idiot, I understand the power differentials involved, especially considering my mother's home country is Asian, but surely the principle is vital here?  And against San **** Marino.  I haven't been watching the match, but has this even been remarked upon?  I find this troubling.

These things should clearly be auditions for bigger roles for more junior squad members, incidentally.

Worth watching for all the moaners to get pissed off for Rooney at least equaling the England record - in the same amount of games as Charlton too.

Charlton wasn't a striker though and Greaves achieved 44 goals in almost half the games Rooney has played.

Worth watching for all the moaners to get pissed off for Rooney at least equaling the England record - in the same amount of games as Charlton too.

Charlton wasn't a striker though and Greaves achieved 44 goals in almost half the games Rooney has played.

So . . . ?

Has San Marino ever scored an international goal?

Famously, they scored one of the fastest goals in European Championship Qualifying history in 1993, against England. Davide Gualtieri was the player (and it was a good finish too). They went on to lose 7-1 mind you. 

Has San Marino ever scored an international goal?

Famously, they scored one of the fastest goals in European Championship Qualifying history in 1993, against England. Davide Gualtieri was the player (and it was a good finish too). They went on to lose 7-1 mind you. 

Fascinating. I am glad for them. I find the England matches with San Marino mildly disturbing for some reason. There's just something off-putting about it -- you know the outcome in advance, you hear the same excuses for why San Marino is there year after year, and it's simply not a competition but a kind of masochistic spectacle. 

They've scored 20 goals in their history. 10 players have 1, 1 player has 2 and 1 player has 8. The guy that scored 8s career high point was playing in Serie C1 with Verona and Sassuolo. And that's the guy who's head and shoulders their best player ever. It's almost sad.

• Like 1

Â