England squad for San Marino & Switzerland Euro 2016 Qualifier

andykeenan

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Jack Butland (Stoke City), Tom Heaton (Burnley).

Defenders: Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones, Phil Jagielka (Both Everton).

Midfielders: Michael Carrick (Manchester United), James Milner (Liverpool), Ross Barkley (Everton), Jonjo Shelvey (Swansea), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling, Fabian Delph (Both Manchester City), Ryan Mason (Tottenham).

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Theo Walcott (Arsenal).

Regardless of approximately 20 minutes in the prem and practically no pre season, delph gets picked.

Have no problem with players being selected but they have to earn that honour by playing well.

Pretty shocking squad to be fair, which goes to show how poor the current crop of England players are.

very poor crop of players

Yes but its been that was since 'the golden generation' of terry, cole, Ferdinand, lampard, Gerrard and rooney.

I dont think the majority of the squad is that bad, but our choice of strikers is absolutely horrible. At least 10 years ago we had the choice of James Beattie and Andy Johnson who would regularly score 10/15 a season in the league to supplement Rooney, owen, Defoe, crouch ,to picking players who run around a lot like vardy.

Edited by Jimzk5

On current form Shelvey should be starting in central midfield for England and IF used correctly could actually be an exciting player to watch for them.

I don't give a stuff if he's ex Liverpool. 

He should certainly be starting ahead of Delph, and I say that not just because Delph is a honking great rocket polisher. 

To be fair to him I think Roy's got us looking half decent so far in the qualifiers (same old England) the penny seems to have dropped that it should be about picking the best team rather than the biggest 11 names

But him only naming 22 players for a 23 man squad pisses me off, get Westwood in there, get Austin back in there, dyer, shawcross, Bertrand, not sure if they are fit or not but why isn't he filling the allocation and just having a look at some of them, especially seeing as it's San Marino

I'm pretty sure he does it quite often

Hart

Clyne                    Smalling           Stones                   Shaw

Milner      Shelvey 

Ox

Sterling                    Kane                  Walcott

Would quite like to see this line up for next two games but Rooney's a certainity to start two goals off the record. 

Â