If you could go back in time, when and where would you go?

Marka Ragnos

I'd go back in time to when I originally created this same thread on Villatalk and then copy my answer as I can't remember what it was....

But I'd guess I said ancient Eqypt as that's an era I've always found fascinating ....

One thing I've often wondered , say you could go back to that time and give them something like flight , where would we be now in regards to that technology .... Or would humans evolve technology too fast in a time when they weren't civilised enough and have Wiped ourselves off the planet

I think that is what has already happened.
  • Like 1

I'd go back 3 hours to when I started sorting out my CD's.

Wives are odd creatures, absolutely no idea of how to categorise and file stuff.

1.0 Super Furry Animals

2.0 Reggae / Dub compilations

3.0 Reggae Dub single artist / band / producer

4.0 60's general single artist

5.0 60's compilations

7.0 mod / northern soul compilations

8.0 Small Faces

9.0 The Jam

10.0 Worldy type music generally / asian / UK asian dub 

11.0 Welsh but not SFA

12.0 everything else

13.0 Alabama 3

14.0 stuff specifically singled out that would otherwise be in 12.0

How is that so difficult to understand?

Stopped for pizza, we go again tomorrow.

• Like 1

We were only having this discussion in the car the other day.

At the moment (and it changes all the time) I'd quite like to go back and spend some time in Ethiopia around the late 1960's very early 1970's. A real melting pot of ideas, ruled by an emperor many thought was a god, students trying to bring in something a bit more modern and democratic. Critically, a couple of years before it all turned really bad.

I'd like to spend six months or a year, possibly all of 1970, just hanging around Addis Ababa hotel lounges with the slow ceiling fan pushing hot air. A cold drink in my hand, leaning against a wall listening to some half arsed hotel band play ethiopian pop whilst chatting up a tall slim Ethiopian beauty.

Yeah, that's me.

The missus said I was weird when I gave that as my answer.

I like this answer.

You'd have to wear a hat though. Perhaps a panama hat? Like the man from Del Monte there to inspect some ripe Ethiopian melons. 

• Like 2

Assuming that I could interact with people, I would be tempted -- as abhorrent as it would feel -- to take the life of this baby in 1890 or so, when the photograph was done. The idea of saving millions of lives for one life would be hard to pass up. But would another Hitler have been born? Do you believe in the "great men" theory of history? I don't know if I do. Germany was so thoroughly antisemitic that the Holocaust almost seems inevitable. But surely Hitler pulled the trigger? But I don't think I could hurt a baby -- so that's the thing. This child is innocent. Perhaps I could just kidnap Baby Hitler and deposit him safely in, say, London. Then no Fuhrer, right?

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-1989-0322-506%2C_A

Edited by Plastic Man

Does it alter your timeline, though (the 'butterfly effect ')?

There was a woman in January 1976 that I blew it with, and with what I know now I'd fancy another try. But I quite like where I am now, so I wouldn't want to risk buggering that up.

The thing that's mind-bending is that this painful episode, one might surmise, probably shapes you fundamentally, and indeed, makes you THINK that you sort-of-but-sort-of regret "blowing it," right, but you might not actually regret it at all!

Assuming that I could interact with people, I would be tempted -- as abhorrent as it would feel -- to take the life of this baby in 1890 or so, when the photograph was done. The idea of saving millions of lives for one life would be hard to pass up. But would another Hitler have been born? Do you believe in the "great men" theory of history? I don't know if I do. Germany was so thoroughly antisemitic that the Holocaust almost seems inevitable. But surely Hitler pulled the trigger? But I don't think I could hurt a baby -- so that's the thing. This child is innocent. Perhaps I could just kidnap Baby Hitler and deposit him safely in, say, London. Then no Fuhrer, right?

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-1989-0322-506%2C_A

Kill Hitler and maybe we'd all be speaking Russian now ?

I've seen it argued that Stalin had no designs to invade Europe at that time but he was mad bad and dangerous and he'd almost certainly have invaded at some point .... Thankfully 2 mad men kinda kept each other busy until such time as the U.S. showed Stalin they could flatten cities on demand

Edited by tonyh29

Some good answers here, Paris in the 1920's and Adis Ababa in 1970 for example. 

I'm being led my desire to have a good time so my choices would be something like Shanghai in the 1920's, hanging out with the cool cats in opium dens or maybe somewhere like Bangkok or Hong Kong in the 1970's. Heard many a wild tale from ex servicemen that were stationed out there at that time. Nothing too deep from me, I just want to drink, have fun and get laid!

from a slightly random history point of view I would liked to have seen whether Julian the Apostate if he'd ruled a longer would have made much more headway into beating back that silly old Christendom.

on a similar theme, I'd have taken one for the world and given Herod the heads up about stables for absolute thoroughness.

• Like 1

from a slightly random history point of view I would liked to have seen whether Julian the Apostate if he'd ruled a longer would have made much more headway into beating back that silly old Christendom.

on a similar theme, I'd have taken one for the world and given Herod the heads up about stables for absolute thoroughness.

Could you have a word with Mohammed (pbuh), while you're at it?
  • Like 1

Â