Joleon Lescott

dont_do_it_doug.

Glad he's going. I suspect the 'altercation' at Worcester was the final straw for both parties. Just a couple of crossed words but it showed a section of the support wouldn't forgive and forget. Certainly had the truth been told about the car tweet - rather than making up some thing about a multi-millionaire footballer not having a phone that locks - then it might have been retrievable.

I thought it'd be a good signing, especially alongside his mate in defence. I thought he'd make us dangerous from set pieces and it was good to have 'one of us' in there. Completely wrong with that one.

Time for everyone to move on.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

Certainly had the truth been told about the car tweet - rather than making up some thing about a multi-millionaire footballer not having a phone that locks - then it might have been retrievable.

Yep. 100%. When judging a character I normally start with honesty and and work my way down from there. Cock piss Lescott can get ****. 

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

If only we'd spent a few million paying off his contract we could have got rid of him a couple of weeks ago. 

I don't know if that is a sincere comment, if it is, apologies in advance for my misunderstanding it.   But.... it  reads like a little dig at those  - and I was/am one  - who made a big thing about us needing to contemplate paying players off a few weeks ago.

Of course, if it is such it is misguided, as practically nobody, (and certainly not me), suggested doing that rather than selling them, just doing it if we couldn't sell them. As indeed we virtually appear to be trying to do in the case of Gabby if nobody wants him.

It certainly appears the Board and RDM are determined to get shot of them somehow, thank goodness.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I don't know if that is a sincere comment, if it is, apologies in advance for my misunderstanding it.   But.... it  reads like a little dig at those  - and I was/am one  - who made a big thing about us needing to contemplate paying players off a few weeks ago.

Of course, if it is such it is misguided, as practically nobody, (and certainly not me), suggested doing that rather than selling them, just doing it if we couldn't sell them. As indeed we virtually appear to be trying to do in the case of Gabby if nobody wants him.

It certainly appears the Board and RDM are determined to get shot of them somehow, thank goodness.

There were a number of people who quite seriously felt it would be good business to pay off a number of players to terminate contracts, an act which no doubt would have resulted in millions of pounds of loss.

Fast forward a few weeks and everything's falling into place pretty much, it's amazing what happens when you just allow for a bit of time instead of demanding instant action.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Pilchard said:

Glad he's going. I suspect the 'altercation' at Worcester was the final straw for both parties. Just a couple of crossed words but it showed a section of the support wouldn't forgive and forget. Certainly had the truth been told about the car tweet - rather than making up some thing about a multi-millionaire footballer not having a phone that locks - then it might have been retrievable.

I thought it'd be a good signing, especially alongside his mate in defence. I thought he'd make us dangerous from set pieces and it was good to have 'one of us' in there. Completely wrong with that one.

Time for everyone to move on.

What happened when we played Worcester?

20 minutes ago, av1 said:

If we could now possibly get rid of Gabby and Richards I'll be a very happy man. 

We should pay off their contracts.

giphy.gif

Edited by dounavilla
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

What happened when we played Worcester?

I believe when the players went in at the end and mingled with fans he was asked how his car was which he didn't appreciate.

And the (surprise!) the Mail made a bigger deal of it than it really needed

• Like 1

BBC reporting Medical too...:

Joleon Lescott: Aston Villa defender to have Rangers medical

Aston Villa defender Joleon Lescott will have a medical in Glasgow on Thursday after being offered a two-year contract by Rangers.

The 34-year-old has been told he can leave the English Championship club.

Asked about his chances of signing a player of Lescott's calibre, Rangers manager Mark Warburton said: "I'm optimistic because we have to keep raising the profile of Rangers.

"Hopefully we are very near a conclusion on one or two targets"

Preston North End say striker Joe Garner is free to join Rangers, with a fee of about £1.5m having been agreed for the 28-year-old.

North End manager Simon Grayson has revealed it is now up to the player whether he wishes to move.

The Ibrox club currently also have 31-year-old free agent and former Arsenal defender Philippe Senderos training with them after leaving Grasshoppers.

"Players know about the club, know about the history and stature of the club and hopefully we can keep pushing forward," said Warburton, who travelled south to meet Lescott on Tuesday.

"If we can do that and sign players of the right calibre then it's almost self-fulfilling."

There has been reported interest in Lescott from Sunderland, but Warburton believes Rangers can bridge the financial gap between the Scottish and English top flights by stressing the experience on offer at Ibrox.

"We can't compete with Premier League clubs, absolutely not," he said.

"The financial disparity is evident for all to see, but what we can do is look at what we can offer a player.

"We can offer a player an opportunity here that is maybe not on offer at that club - and maybe those clubs can sign more players to have bigger squads.

"If a player doesn't buy into that, no problem, we shake hands and move on."

Lescott won 26 England caps between 2007 and 2013 and has made more than 600 senior club appearances.

However, following Villa's relegation from the Premier League, the defender has not featured for Roberto Di Matteo's Championship side this season.

"We can't compete when it comes down to straight cash, but with players of experience and players of quality, it's not always about a straight cash deal," said Warburton.

"It's very much about the quality of opportunity. If we can get that right then we have a chance."

Garner, who netted six goals for the Championship side last season after hitting 27 in their promotion campaign the previous term, has told Preston he is keen on a move to Rangers.

"A player like that adds experience, adds an edge in terms of how he plays the game, in terms of his enjoyment of the game, a variety of goals, comfortable inside and outside the box, movement and a threat," added Warburton. "He's a constant threat."

It's happening! :D

In regards to paying him off I would imagine we are still paying him a large part of his current salary for the next 10 months..but we have still saved a cool £500k-£1m by getting Rangers to give the stupid word removed a half decent contract.

I will take that.

I really couldn't see us shifting this tosser. Probably haven't been this pleased with a transfer since we signed Bent - That is how much I despise you Joleon. Don't set foot in Birmingham you piss bucket.

• Like 1

Â