Weekends football 28/30 August

andykeenan

So, are the rest of the league nearer to the big four or are we just seeing early season hiccups?

It's still August, everything will go back to normal by October or so with a couple of overachievers who will eventually fade.

Always the same.

I don't think Swansea are 'overachieving' here. They are well established now, play good football, have a very in-form striker, a cracking midfield and seem to have bought a good 'un in Ayew.

Hopefully, this is now Man United's new 'normal' though.

If Swansea win this they'll be 4th. They might stay up there for a month or 2 but they won't stay up there, absolutely no chance.

They might do what Southampton did last year but that's it. So as it stands right now, they are overachieving.

So, are the rest of the league nearer to the big four or are we just seeing early season hiccups?

It's still August, everything will go back to normal by October or so with a couple of overachievers who will eventually fade.

Always the same.

I don't think Swansea are 'overachieving' here. They are well established now, play good football, have a very in-form striker, a cracking midfield and seem to have bought a good 'un in Ayew.

Hopefully, this is now Man United's new 'normal' though.

If Swansea win this they'll be 4th. They might stay up there for a month or 2 but they won't stay up there, absolutely no chance.

They might do what Southampton did last year but that's it. So as it stands right now, they are overachieving.

I'm not talking about overachieving in the table, as a single point can make you jump about 5 places.

I'm saying they're not necessarily overachieving by beating this Man United team. Not only because Swansea are a good outfit, but also Man United are pretty average under LvG. They've got every right to expect the win at home as their team is very good.

I wish we were like Swansea :(

Such a well balanced team.

Solid no frills back line with good full backs and a vocal point upfront in Gomis. They won today without Montero aswell.

Said it before but the best thing about them is how balanced their midfield is....proper DMs in Cork and Ki, a box to box player in Shelvey and a number 10 in Sigurdsson.

We're getting there slowly but still a fair bit off putting out an 11 as balanced as that.

I think there's a little bit of a change in the balance of the league based around the TV deal. TV money is now 70% of most clubs income and I think there's a  change from three or four years ago when every club got £30m and the Champions league clubs got an extra £30m. Now that every club gets around £100m and the Champions League clubs get an extra £30m the difference isn't so pronounced.

The richest clubs will make their way to the top over the course of a season, but I think it's trickier than it was - whereas before, the top 100 players would be at the top ten clubs in Europe and the rest would be scattered across the continent. Now the top 100 players are at the top ten clubs in Europe and the rest are scattered across the Premier league. 

If you want to finish sixth in the Premier league, you've got to be one of the top dozen clubs in the world. I think it makes it tricker for the top four clubs and I'm hopeful it might make things a little more interesting.

• Like 1

How good is Ki? They looked a lot more balanced when he came on, and he showed some wonderful touches, great composure on the ball. Our attempt to get him last summer should be filed in amongst the other 'great misses' like Falcao and whatever. 

Swansea have beaten man Utd 3 times in 18 months

We've beat em once in 26 years.

we have beat them 3 times in 21 years ;)

I was thinking of the home record but you get the gist.

Gomis was very average last season, shows that players cant just thrive after arriving straight from France

You know what. I think this should go in (most) threads in Villatalk about our new players. Perfect example.  :thumb:

How good is Ki? They looked a lot more balanced when he came on, and he showed some wonderful touches, great composure on the ball. Our attempt to get him last summer should be filed in amongst the other 'great misses' like Falcao and whatever.

Yeah, it's a real shame we didn't get him imo.

I think there's a little bit of a change in the balance of the league based around the TV deal. TV money is now 70% of most clubs income and I think there's a change from three or four years ago when every club got £30m and the Champions league clubs got an extra £30m. Now that every club gets around £100m and the Champions League clubs get an extra £30m the difference isn't so pronounced.

The richest clubs will make their way to the top over the course of a season, but I think it's trickier than it was - whereas before, the top 100 players would be at the top ten clubs in Europe and the rest would be scattered across the continent. Now the top 100 players are at the top ten clubs in Europe and the rest are scattered across the Premier league.

If you want to finish sixth in the Premier league, you've got to be one of the top dozen clubs in the world. I think it makes it tricker for the top four clubs and I'm hopeful it might make things a little more interesting.

Good post. The PL looks more and more competitive which is both great and slightly scary. I really hope our beloved Villa cements itself in the new more competitive environment.

There's still poor teams in this league....Sunderland, West Brom, I'm not convinced Norwich are up to much beyond huff and puff, Watford haven't won a game yet, Newcastle still don't have prolific striker imo beyond Cisse as Mitrovic is a total headcase.

Concern for us is if the quality raises I think that means you'll be very lucky to stay up on 36 points, it should be 40 points to stay up this year so we need to get our act together and not go half seasons barely winning a game as we might not get away with it this season.

Â