Pre match thread

roonst83

First game of the season for me (and first post on the site!) I'm hoping to see a few of the new boys, if I was Tim I'd go for

Bunn

Hutton, Richards, Clarke, Amavi

Gueye, Sanchez

Traore, Grealish, Sinclair

Ayew

Veretout and Gil (if fit) getting some minutes off the bench

Ayew, Kozak

Grealish, Veretout Gardner, Traore

Amavi, Baker, Crespo, Hutton

Bunn 

Maybe Gil for Grealish if fit. 

Exactly this but definitely Gil for Grealish if fit. Save Grealish for Saturday.

Could do with a big win here, lots of goals to boost our attacking confidence.

See part of me wants to play the complete first time for this for that reason. Sometime it takes a lesser opponent to help the squad gel together and get some confidence. I definitely want Ayew starting though. He needs a goal. 

The Football League have announced that there will be a minute's silence before all League Cup fixtures this week in memory of the victims of the Shoreham airplane disaster.

Matthew Grimstone and Jacob Schilt, two young footballers who played for Worthing United FC, were among those who prished in the tragedy.

Shaun Harvey, Chief Executive of The Football League, said: "This minute's silence will give football fans across the country the opportunity to pay their respects to Matthew, Jacob and all those who lost their lives in this terrible accident."

off the BBC rolling news thingy

Quite looking forward to this. A proper cup tie with bags of history. As long as we win and Birmingham isn't a car park I will be happy. I don't think its going to be a 4-0 or 5-0, more like 2-0 or 3-1. The last time we won a cup game by 3 clear goals was 2 years ago V Rotherham. And that includes playing 3 teams from the lower divisions- and losing to one of them last year. A positive performance is needed.

First trip to Villa Park of the season for me, really looking forward to it. Will be interesting to see how busy the trains are with all the local football on.

Ideally would love a comfortable win by three goals, but happy as long as we win with no injuries.

Looking forward to seeing one of, if not all three of Traore, Gil and Grealish feature at some point. Would love Ayew to get a goal or two as well.

Bunn

Hutton-Richards-Clark-Amavi

Veretout-Westwood

Traore-Cole-Sinclair
Ayew

worth keeping bit of stability (e.g. most of the same defence) as they are still new to each other. But also a good chance to give people like Veretout & Ayew gametime and try out some different attacking options. Kozak should at least be on bench too, if he's to have any chance of featuring this season.

Ayew, Kozak

Bunn 

Exactly this but definitely Gil for Grealish if fit. Save Grealish for Saturday.

Leaving Bunn as a loan striker?  ;)

• Like 1

Ayew, Kozak

Bunn

Leaving Bunn as a loan striker? ;)

Why not? We'd have two keeping goal!

• Like 1

Bunn

Hutton Richards Clark Bennett

Adama Veretout Gueye Gil

Ayew Rudy

Rest Jack as it was his first 90 in a while let Ayew show Gabby how it's done and get some game time into Adama and Gil. Also I think Veretout and Gueye will be our best 2 eventually so see how they go. Both FB's need games to keep fit but the 2 CB need to learn to play together so keep playing them.

Bunn

Hutton Richards Baker Amavi

Adama Veretout Sanchez Grealish

Ayew Sinclair

I know I originally wanted Kozák to play in this, but in light of recent performances I think it's more important that the main cast get some experience. So I'd like Ayew to get another opportunity. I'd like to see Veretout as the string puller and Sanchez to keep it all under control. Baker in to remind Clark he's not automatic. Hutton to get some fitness in case Bacuna wants to repeat his Palace horror show. Adama to completely take the piss and Grealish playing against his old pals.

______________________Bunn_____________________
___Bacuna____Richards________Clark_______Amavi___
__________Vertout______________Westwood__________
_______________________Gil______________________

______Adama________________________Grealish______
______________________Ayew______________________