Where you stand

lexicon

On the Richards comment which I think is pretty naive personally. It isn't too late for him to learn or enhance skills in a new position as he is still only 27. If anything his awareness and positioning will only get better over the next couple of years. Imo up to now he has been pretty solid at CB since the season started so your comments on him appear baseless as you aren't backing it up with any facts or reasoning for your opinion. I would also like to ask you what you think his personality is like and why you don't think he isn't mentally capable of captaining our team but I'll save that one for the individual thread.

Not trying to be a smart arse either but if you are going to continue this thread you may as well close everything else down. Surely you can come up with a more individual topic than asking everyone to just lay their cards on the table about everything Aston Villa. Commenting on players/staff/issues... isn't that why there are individual threads? You can still get your views across and they will be better reference points for everyone than a generic open ended thread.  

I think your just attention seeking because you feel misunderstood.  ;)

As I said, the whole purpose is that it's a reference point. If you explain where you stand from the beginning, you aren't going to get accused of anything and we don't have to deal with childish accusations.

On the Richards comment which I think is pretty naive personally. It isn't too late for him to learn or enhance skills in a new position as he is still only 27. If anything his awareness and positioning will only get better over the next couple of years. Imo up to now he has been pretty solid at CB since the season started so your comments on him appear baseless as you aren't backing it up with any facts or reasoning for your opinion. I would also like to ask you what you think his personality is like and why you don't think he isn't mentally capable of captaining our team but I'll save that one for the individual thread.

Not trying to be a smart arse either but if you are going to continue this thread you may as well close everything else down. Surely you can come up with a more individual topic than asking everyone to just lay their cards on the table about everything Aston Villa. Commenting on players/staff/issues... isn't that why there are individual threads? You can still get your views across and they will be better reference points for everyone than a generic open ended thread.  

I think your just attention seeking because you feel misunderstood.  ;)

As I said, the whole purpose is that it's a reference point. If you explain where you stand from the beginning, you aren't going to get accused of anything and we don't have to deal with childish accusations.

The beginning of what though? My opinions towards things will as with everyone else change at times, especially with Villa. As your own will, and rightly so. Say for instance Richards has a superb season at CB I would assume you would be intelligent enough to possibly change your opinion on his ability to play the role.   

trap.png

I'll bite, though.

Sherwood: I like what I see so far. I expressed a few concerns at the end of last season about his game management and squad rotation (later learned that injury probably had a lot to do with rotation, particularly in regards to our back line), so I'll be watching closely to see if he allays those fears as the season goes on. Keeping us up last season and getting us to the FA Cup final (even though we collapsed pathetically at that final) were two very big achievements and he's earned some good will from that.

Agbonlahor: I'm really ambivalent on Gabby. I think the "one-club man" is a rarity these days, it's just a bummer that our one-club man is largely an average player. I'm happy enough with him staying around, particularly if his role is reduced to that of impact sub. He does seem to get himself up for the big occasions and is always good for a goal vs. Norwich and WBA. But really, that just makes it all the more frustrating that he can't perform like that on a more consistent basis. So to sum up, I'm fine with him staying and I'd probably be equally fine with him leaving.

Westwood: I like him. He's one of the few thinking players we have in the team, like a good chess player he is always thinking two or three moves ahead. A proactive player rather than a reactive player. As the new team starts to gel and get used to one another, I think we'll see him starting off some productive attacking moves. But of course those attacking moves require forwards who make intelligent runs, which we haven't seen enough of in the last few years. Defensively he has come a long way since his first year. His set pieces are still average to poor.

Richards: Jury's out. I liked the look of him at City where he played RB. At CB for us (and captain), I've only had two games to judge him, so it's too early for me.

I would post my opinion, but I know it will only be used for point scoring in the future if my opinion happens to change. I appreciate the idea though. 

It's perfectly fine for you to update/change your mind about things - that's normal. 

I don't really get this idea about sticking to your guns no matter what, things change, opinions change - that's life. 

Mr Sherwood.

He hasn't been here long enough to form a solid opinion yet.

However there are two or three things that will cause me a great deal of concern if they aren't addressed sooner rather than later.
Impressed with the immediate impacts of some of his signings. 

Willing to give the others time to settle before saying yes, or no.

Agbonlahor.

My opinions on Agbonlahor are well documented, especially on Villa Talk.

To sum it all up, I don't think Gabby would get a game, as a striker, for my local schools under 6 girls team.

As a striker Gabby couldn't hit water, if he fell out of a boat in the middle of the Atlantic.

Westwood.

For a defensive midfielder, he can't tackle, shepherd a player into dead-ends, successfully pass the ball further than 15 yards.

When receiving the ball, his first instinctive move is to pass to his defenders, his centre-backs first, then sideways to the nearest fullback.

He has an inability to get a corner kick over the head of the first defender. Except in Bournemouth.

Richards.

I have always thought he would end up as a cracking good centre-back, even when he was getting rave reviews as a 17 yr old right-back.

Give him a couple of years and he'll be playing international football again.

I think he can be developed into a great team captain, taught which players to shout at and which need a hug. 

Edited by 1958Villan