Pre-Match Thread

ismail-villa

Will be interesting to see how serious Tim takes the League cup. 

Might be worth having the likes of Veretout and Ayew sit this game out and then have them start in midweek in the LC.

Will be interesting to see how serious Tim takes the League cup. 

Might be worth having the likes of Veretout and Ayew sit this game out and then have them start in midweek in the LC.

I'm wondering if the relative rough & tumble of a League 2 side mightn't suit the likes of Veretout & Ayew.  I'd nearly be more inclined to go with more physical options against Notts County.  I wouldn't be surprised to see big Libor sent in to knock 3 shades out of them midweek and Sanchez playing spoiler at the back :thumb:

I fear for our defence against Bolasie, Zaha and Puncheon, a lot of our new players will need time to adjust to the BPL and Palace have looked very nippy, I'd take a point and aim for all three against a shocking Sunderland at VP. Seven points from Bournemouth, Palace and Sunderland would be a very good return IMO.

Bolassie will have to deal with Amavi.

• Like 1

I'd probably go for:

------------------- Guzan -------------------

Bacuna -- Richards -- Clark -- Amavi

--------- Westwood -- Gana ----------

Adama ---------- Gil -------- Grealish

------------- Gestede -------------

I still think we need another striker though.

• Like 3

Wouldn't be surprised if Hutton starts at Palace. If we have one (or more) creative attacking players to come in, we can afford to sacrifice Bacuna's more attacking style of fullback play for the more defensive solidity we would get from Hutton. No bad thing either given that Palace have some decent players going forward.

Bolassie looks like he'll miss out or make the bench at best and Zaha has been pretty shaky thus far. I think Clark and Micah should be able to deal with Wickham.

The good thing here is that all the expectation and pressure is on palace, and we've looked pretty well structured and tight thus far (modulo whatever it is that Micah is doing). First goal is crucial...

and FFS Tim drop Gabby

Hoping Traore starts. Although my prime concern is if when Traore gets to some decent crossing/supplying positions do we have a striker who will be on hand to poach? Gabby is awful at this and i'm still unconvinced about Ayew. We saw against United when Amavi did some fantastic work on the left and crossed the ball across the face of the goal but noone had made the move or shown the desire to get on the receiving end. I worry that we do not have  a striker with the pure hunger and desire to get into those dangerous positions to take advantage when those opportunities arise.

Back to the game and Palace will be favourites and fancy themselves for sure. Keep Bolas, Zaha and luncheon quiet (easier said than done) and we have a better chance of getting something here. Be great to see Gil, Grealish and Traore feature in this.

Edited by roonst83

One thing Sherwood has done is make my weeks much longer.  Now I can't wait for each game to come around as soon as the last one has finished.  The working week seems interminably long.  Jesus Saturday come on already.

• Like 4

--------------------Guzan----------------------

Bacuna-----Richards----Clark--------Amavi

--------------Gana------Westwood----------

Traore------------Grealish--------Agbonlahor

-------------------Gestede--------------------

Subs: Bunn, Hutton, Veretout, Sinclair, Lozak, Sanchez, Baker 

That bench is quite difficult to get onto.

Traore------------Grealish--------Sinclair

Subs: Bunn, Hutton, Veretout, Gabby, Lozak, Sanchez, Baker 

Minor swap there for me.

• Like 2

Palace played well in short spells against Arsenal, but at times overcommitted players forward and nearly got done on the break.  If Wenger had played the Ox and/or Walcott I think Arsenal would have won much more easily.

I would go 4-1-4-1

----------------------- Guzan ------------------------

Hutton -- Richards ------ Clark --  --- Amavi

--------------------- Sanchez ------------------------

Adama --- Westwood --- Gueye --- Sinclair

--------------------- Gestede -----------------------

Sanchez as extra protection against that impressive attacking midfield, plus if he drops back deeper it allows Richards to focus a bit more on that right hand side if they're getting through Hutton.  And if Bolasie plays (and plays well), he'll destroy whichever one of our right backs we play.

On the counter we then have pace on the wings and a big man to hold the ball up if we need to.  It also allows us a plan B of bringing Gil and/or Grealish on and quickly going with our Chritsmas tree formation.

Minor swap there for me.

no ayew?

Minor swap there for me.

no ayew?

For me Gabby and Sinclair have been much of a muchness, Traore will need a try and Ayew has been a ways off the pace - I think he's best served by taking a couple of weeks out and coming back as a player that's up to speed. Of course, that doesn't mean the manager will see it the same way.