Line Up - Weaknesses/Strengths - Hopes

VillanousOne

Our biggest problem is a lack of creativity and has been for a long time. Thankfully, Traore has been brought in to help with this but even so - we have 3 players with very little experience of the league between them, two of them teenagers, to create the goals. I'm not even counting N'Zogbia here as he just needs to leave immediately. We really need them to perform and there's a lot of pressure on their shoulders as a result. 

There are lots of ways to "create" it doesn't have to be a through ball. I think Veretout will in time be a creative influence for us and Gueye will chip in.

Also Rudy will create chances with his physical presence and Gabby, Ayew, Sinclair will stretch teams and create chances. So it's not all down to Jack and Gil.

I'd agree though that the three pronged pace attack isn't working and needs a better balance.

Until this team has had some games under their belts we aren't going to know if they are good enough, which scares the crap out of me but there's nothing that can be done other than to watch and hope.

Personally I'd like to see Austin come in, a goalscorer who knows where the net is. He (or a player like him) would really help to take some of the pressure off the new lads.

We also desperately need Gil and/or Grealish in the team ASAP.

There are lots of ways to "create" it doesn't have to be a through ball. I think Veretout will in time be a creative influence for us and Gueye will chip in.

Also Rudy will create chances with his physical presence and Gabby, Ayew, Sinclair will stretch teams and create chances. So it's not all down to Jack and Gil.

I'd agree though that the three pronged pace attack isn't working and needs a better balance.

Creativity is a bit more complicated than 'a through ball' - sort of cheapens your argument. 

Until this team has had some games under their belts we aren't going to know if they are good enough, which scares the crap out of me

Funny, I find it quite exciting and have more hope for the team than I have for a few seasons.

With the old squad we knew they weren't good enough and each season would be a struggle to avoid going down. With this one there is at least a chance we have bought in some genuine skill and creativity and, once they settle in, we could have a decent run. That might be wrong and we might struggle but that's no different from the past three seasons at least, so what's to be scared of?

It's not like we've shed a load of award-winning stars from the squad.

Creativity is a bit more complicated than 'a through ball' - sort of cheapens your argument. 

Yes that is exactly my point but thanks for underlining.

Lots of ways to create chances you dont have to be small tricky player to do it, just need the right complement of weapons. Hopefully we are on the same page now.

Gabby, Ayew and Sinclair all create chances in exactly the same way though - that's the problem, you need an attack that can create lots of different types of chances so that you keep your opponents guessing. If you've got those three in front of you as a defender, you know that you need to go deep and that you don't really have to worry about anything else they can bring to the table.

We lacked the dimension of an incisive passer or someone who can comfortably beat a man with skill for a long time, which is one of the reasons we scored so few goals under Lambert.

Until this team has had some games under their belts we aren't going to know if they are good enough, which scares the crap out of me

Funny, I find it quite exciting and have more hope for the team than I have for a few seasons.

With the old squad we knew they weren't good enough and each season would be a struggle to avoid going down. With this one there is at least a chance we have bought in some genuine skill and creativity and, once they settle in, we could have a decent run. That might be wrong and we might struggle but that's no different from the past three seasons at least, so what's to be scared of?

It's not like we've shed a load of award-winning stars from the squad.

Simple, we go down.

Maybe it's because of how the last 4/5 seasons have gone that I'm concerned. I'm excited as well because I think we will be fine but it's going to take time for the squad to settle.

Gabby, Ayew and Sinclair all create chances in exactly the same way though - that's the problem, you need an attack that can create lots of different types of chances so that you keep your opponents guessing. If you've got those three in front of you as a defender, you know that you need to go deep and that you don't really have to worry about anything else they can bring to the table.

We lacked the dimension of an incisive passer or someone who can comfortably beat a man with skill for a long time, which is one of the reasons we scored so few goals under Lambert.

Yes, again that was exactly the point I agreed with when I first answered your post.

Even ignoring that we've played only two games, I wouldn't judge the strikers yet. As VillanousOne said, we desperately lacked the link between midfield and attack that Grealish or Gil would provide.

That said, my biggest concerns are Ayew and Veretout. We desperately need 8-9 goals from Ayew. But we need to play him centrally and out wide. As for Veretout, he looked about as bad as he could've looked yesterday. He needs time, obviously. But we--especially Gestede--need his creativity and service.

The 'link' between defence and attack has been non-existent because of the formation and personnel we have played.

Playing 4-3-3, with 3 predominately defensive minded midfielders, means your chances of that midfield actually creating a chance to score for a forward, are about the same as Gabby scoring a double hat-trick, against Real Madrid in the Champions League Final, in 2017.

Playing a forward three consisting of two left-wingers and a player who has been played on the left-wing for the last two and a half years, doesn't exactly spell balance does it.

Playing a player at centre-forward, who, to put it bluntly, would have great difficulty hitting water if he fell out of a boat, isn't the brightest idea either. 

I'm a tad worried we might struggle for goals again this season...

Maybe from open play. But Grealish, Gil, and Traore will draw a lot of fouls. Now if only someone could put in a good cross, then Rudy and Micah will do the job ;) 

Yeah, I'm sure 1-in-29.5-over-the-course-of-his-career Micah Richards will be banging them in for us from corners and free kicks.

It'll defo happen now!

Every time you slag him off he proves you to be completely wrong!

Keep up with the slagging!

Yeah, I'm sure 1-in-29.5-over-the-course-of-his-career Micah Richards will be banging them in for us from corners and free kicks.

It'll defo happen now!

Every time you slag him off he proves you to be completely wrong!

Keep up with the slagging!

Just for the record, this is not to slag him off - I think it's an unreasonable expectation because it's not something that's ever been a part of his game, so it shouldn't be expected.

I don't think Richards has proven me wrong about anything yet but I hope he does.

i think it'll take to Christmas for individual players to settle, for them to get to know each other on the pitch, and for the whole team to gel.

So we'll probably be around 15th going into Christmas, but i think the second half of season will be better and we'll end up finishing 10/11th.