• Poor
    • Very Poor
  2. 2. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

Talk Sports Man u supporting Goldstein and Chelsea Kundy wound me up saying we were worse than poor I thought we did ok and will only get better

• Like 1

As the heading says Ratings and Reactions.

This game for me was only ever going to end with one result....It was too soon for us, with all their money spending power/Quality..... we needed a full team, fully gelled and fully fit.....it was yet again a bridge too far.

For years we have failed against this lot, but we are trying to claw our way back, where as before we just made futile attempts to compete and it was all too inevitable.

This time for different reasons ( 10 new players in) we just wasn't ready for them, but it was in the cold light of day a 1-0 reversal with a fortuitous deflection and us having a stonewall penalty denied.

......but you can only say what you have seen, despite the mitigation, its an observation more than a criticism.

Let me just add my uncle who knows nothing about football at all even said that number 17 is finished and needs to be taken off. I'm surprised Sherwood took so long.

I said exactly the same, his legs had gone.....just glad TS seen it when he did, because we were about to concede again.

These players ain't ready yet, particularly to play against that kind of ball controlling opposition....like i say we were outpointed.

Edited by TRO

Overall. We have an obvious lack of quality in midfield, and massive problems in the final third. Ayew looks like a striker being played out of position. Gabby looked totally out of his depth. Veretout and Gana dont look match fit. Veretout looks like he might need a while to adjust to the pace of it all. Amavi on the other hand looks like a real gem.

You honestly think its the midfield that's lacking quality?

The only missing link for me was someone to link the midfield and the strikers, for me that will come from grealish when he is match fit again. We pretty much contained Man U today and that's only their second game playing together. Amavi looks like he will bomb down the left all day, if him and Gestede can develop an understanding that's going to be a constant goal threat.

What worries me is Gabby playing every game as a striker when we know hes a 5-10 goal a season player and Ayew who at the moment looks out of his depth.

Talk Sports Man u supporting Goldstein and Chelsea Kundy wound me up saying we were worse than poor I thought we did ok and will only get better

Heard them two muppets as well.

We didn't play well, but didn't deserve the stick those two were dishing out.

Was a poor game which I think a draw would've been fair.

Amavi looks a cracking player. Can't remember the last time we had a LB who drove forward and can deliver some decent crosses.

Rest of the new signings will need time to bed in, so not going to pass judgement just yet.

Thought Westwood had a good game as well. Great range of passing and put in a nice late tackle on Rooney towards the end of the game as well!

Overall. We have an obvious lack of quality in midfield, and massive problems in the final third. Ayew looks like a striker being played out of position. Gabby looked totally out of his depth. Veretout and Gana dont look match fit. Veretout looks like he might need a while to adjust to the pace of it all. Amavi on the other hand looks like a real gem.

The only missing link for me was someone to link the midfield and the strikers, for me that will come from grealish when he is match fit again. We pretty much contained Man U today and that's only their second game playing together. Amavi looks like he will bomb down the left all day, if him and Gestede can develop an understanding that's going to be a constant goal threat.

What worries me is Gabby playing every game as a striker when we know hes a 5-10 goal a season player and Ayew who at the moment looks out of his depth.

Dan I'm wrestling with the same fear but surely Richards being given the armband means that Gabby isn't going to be an automatic choice every week....surely....

Wasn't too impressed myself. I know we fought harder than usual. But Man U were poor by their standards and if they were on it then I'm confident we'd have lost by 2 or 3. Gueye's passing was awful at times, Veretout looked completely knackered after half an hour and Ayew looked lost. Considering we are supposed to be building a new side with flair around a team of talented players, I was a bit disappointed watching Lambertesque long balls over and over again. I can't recollect one time in the whole game where somebody tried to play a through ball in the final third or a one-two around the last defender. I really don't want to sound doom and gloom and I really hope that it's down to the players needing time to settle, which is a reasonable way to think. But the whole game screamed of last seasons long ball football, just with a bit more fight, fingers crossed it was just a one off.

I'm going to sum the game up in a nutshell. They were average, we were average. Both teams can play a lot better but I saw enough in our new team to believe that we have massively improved from the past 3 seasons. It's going to be a good season guys. Relax.

I think you're right, I think it's just that I'm worried as we're in yet another "transitional" stage. This team could go one way or the other, the heights of mid table or the final push over the edge to relegation. I'm just worried I guess, same as everyone else.

Yeah I honestly believe the midfield lacks quality. Veretout looks like he'll need a while to adjust to the pace of the league. Sanchez could step up this year or could be just as inconsistent. Gardner and Richardson aren't going to make a difference. Mason/Calder completely unknown. Aside from Westwood and a promising start from Gana I think we look really weak.

This rant may be ridiculed and referred to as sour grapes. However let me start off by saying that neither team deserved to win the match tonight. Both were distinctly average and a 0-0 would of been a fair result. Or even maybe 1-1. Once again detrimental officiating in the favor of a '(being kind) top 4' team has cost us a penalty. Not only that when did the rules allow a player to kick the ball away without being booked? It was a common occurrence that was not once punished. Further more, when I sit in the VILLA end I do not want a group of 6 opposition fans in front of me. This seems to be a problem only with one club. They are arrogant, smug and do not deserve the privilege. Of course, when you mention that they are inferior to Man City said supporters unashamedly arrogantly laugh it off.... which frankly is a conversation that should not be had in the home end. Same old story.

Two points

1. This bunch of lads resembles a proper football team that didnt just have moments of decency; they played on par with Europes elite

2. There is a massive Benteke shaped gap up front

Man Utd were poor, Sherwood set us up badly and the first half was almost exactly the same as the Bournemouth game. Tactics certainly weren't good, as a small number of people have voted. 

That said, we've got basically half a new team trying to settle in and there some encouraging performances from certain players - Amavi, Gana, Westwood and surprisingly (for me) Bacuna.

Â