• Poor
    • Very Poor
  2. 2. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

1 win in 40 games against any team is absolutely dog shit.

I wonder if we will beat them again in my life time.

When you make 10 signings some are bound to hit and some will miss.

Sure enough after 2 games some are hitting and some are missing.

Unfortunately one player in our team has been missing for years and needs to be dropped.

• Like 1

Just got back from a full, for once, VP. I thought both Amavi and Gana were very impressive, the former particularly but overall we lacked creativity from start to finish. Ayew is way off the PL at the moment but there were glimpses of what he is capable of. Gabby was...well Gabby....flatters to deceive with no end product. I just hope he is used as an impact sub as the team gels. Gestade is now seen as our saviour which is bizarre, yes he will score goals but he is actually a very limited striker as he lacks mobility. Hopefully he will improve. The defence was very solid and despite the usual media wankfest over ManU, their goal was lucky and was a product of a lapse back to the comedy defending of last season. But for the deflection off Clark's thigh Guzan had the shot covered. Overall I was disappointed but far from disheartened.

A couple of thoughts:

- The referee exhibited the usual top four bias, apparently its fine to persistently foul Amavi when he gets past you and for Smalling to shove Gestede in the back for every header.

- If Rooney is going to be ManU's principal striker they are in big trouble as are England because he is shite.

I think we did well enough get a draw but we need much much more creativity, try telling that the media.

• Like 1

Thought we would compete tonight , training game for man u ayew needed subbing at 70mins , veretout unfit, clark hoofball and the manager admired the manx paying them too much respect. Average man u side made to look in total control by a poor showing by av

Very interesting game. Trying not to be pissed off that we lost to Man U softly _again_. We look like we could cause some real damage this season *if* we get a good centre forward.

My thoughts

Guzan - 6 - Did nothing wrong, didn't have to do a lot though really.

Bacuna - 6 - Did the defensive part OK, wasn't great going forward.

Richards - 7 - Calm and experienced. Great partner for Clark to learn from.

Clark - 7 - Nothing wrong. Nothing of note.

Amavi - 8 - Looking the real deal. Salivating over him and Grealish on the left.

Gueye - 6 - Lots of energy at the start but burnt himself out in the 2nd half. Looks no better or worse than Sanchez.

Veretout - 5 - On this showing no better than Gardner. Waiting to see the magic. Hopefully with a bit more fitness. Should have been replaced with Sanchez about 20 mins earlier.

Westwood - 8 - Oozes class and competes far better than his size would suggest.

Ayew - 5 - Just like Gabby tonight. Decent option but not a starter at the moment.

Gabby - 4 - Gabby hasn't been good enough for us for a few seasons. Now it's even more obvious.

Sinclair - 7 - Our most effective front player but didn't have the support to do any real damage.

Based on that I really hope Traore, Gil and Grealish are all available for the next match. I'd sacrifice Veretout, Ayew and Gabby and then I can't see a weak link.

Thought we would compete tonight , training game for man u ayew needed subbing at 70mins , veretout unfit, clark hoofball and the manager admired the manx paying them too much respect. Average man u side made to look in total control by a poor showing by av

I understand your frustration but we are a team that finished 17th last season. We aren't going to turn over a team that cost over 200M to assemble overnight.

The opinions on Gabby make me think his score has been set before kick off. Same with Westwood.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Disappointing but not a disaster by any stretch. Fought well and worked hard just didn't create in final third and got punished for one bit of sloppiness in defence.

Gueye and Amavi impressed, along with Bacuna (who's looking better defensively) and Westwood. 

Veretout was anonymous 2nd half and should've been subbed earlier. Ayew frustrated and hopefully will learn a lesson from the yellow. Gabby didn't impress and Sinclair got subbed just when he seemed to be getting into it.

Need Gil or Grealish added to the mix to hopefully add a bit more spark. Also obviously some players need to get up to speed with the league (and I suspect we'll be saying similar about Traore in a week or two)

Could've got a draw if the ref wasn't a coward as Man Utd were not particularly impressive in attack, only Mata really made the difference. The fact they had Schweinsteiger and Herrera to bring on to help see out the game is a rather luxurious state of affairs which demonstrates the gulf in resources.
  • Like 2

Not great. No threat whatsoever. Still think we need a striker who can play, not convinced Ayew has the quality to be the main man and I'm not sure Gestede has the all round game. Traore should help give us a bit of an edge. Maybe more important will be getting Gil/Grealish back as we need a link between midfield and strikers - 433 with this lot is like Lambert all over again. Ayew is a real mixed bag. Gestede and Gana look decent, Amavi and Richards impressive again. 

Ratings:

Guzan - 6

Bacuna - 6

Richards - 7: Generally very good. maybe went to ground a bit easy for the goal but tough to blame him for that. 

Clark - 6

Amavi - 8: What a talent. Someone should have been on the end of that wicked ball across the box. 

Veretout - 4: needs to adapt, but first of all he needs to get fit. He's been our worst player over these two games IMO.

Westwood - 7

Gana - 6

Gabby - 4

Ayew - 5: Real mixed bag. Not a fan of the diving, and he needed to keep his cool when he had the chance early second half, and also almost cost us a goal. However it wasn't all bad by any means.  

Sinclair - 4

Edited by PatrickCousens

This game was too soon for us.

Not yet gelled, not yet fit.

We need a Januzaj..... a player with poise, ball control, composure, pace, intelligence, drive.....how they leave him out i will never know.

I thought overall we huffed and puffed, give everything in terms of effort.....but their work on the ball was much tidier.

In boxing terms we were outpointed.

• Like 1

Not surprisingingly, a lot of overreactions here. We had basically none of creative players on the pitch, which will make a difference in our attack, and the defense had man u. In control the whole game. One bit of fortune (after an admittedly slack piece of defending) and a missed pen leave them with 3 pts.

Edit: and let me add: amavi is really good. His anticipation is so far ahead of everyone else.

Edited by tyklip
  • Like 2

Amavi - best player for Villa. Will be at Chelsea in a couple of years

Gueye - verly lively, made some mistakes but got stuck in, looked for the ball all the time unlike some other players who shied away 

Guzan, Richards, Clark, Bacuna, Westwood - solid, nothing special

Veretout, Sinclair - anonymous

Ayew, Gabby - ran a lot, did little

Rudy - Smalling ate his lunch

Sanchez - still needs too much time on the ball to be able to pass to a teammate

Thought we showed more promise than I expected at this stage, a lot more. we are solid and hard working. Add in creativity and a goal scorer and I think by Christmas we will be a solid mid table side.

Positives: Amavi - great value, class; Richards - better than I thought he would be, early days; Bacuna - given a chance, taking it, not shy; Sinclair - some have polar view but I thought he was bright and tricky; Gana - solid; Westwood - steady, solid; Gil, Grealish, Adama yet to figure; new forward yet to be bought; midfield energy, can see a growing understanding; tight interplay; Gestede looks a threat. We didn't look too bad and there's a lot to come.

Negatives: lack of creativity; Gabby - it's over dude; back 4 unfamiliarity; Veretout - needs to find his groove, it I'll come; Ayew making poor decisions, needs to be more direct and decisive, it will come. We need a solid goal scorer.

I feel happy and content.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 3

Thought the after match coverage of Villa on sky was embarrassing broadcasting for the panel of pundits.

you wouldn't think we had been playing and particularly as we were at home, it was an insult....with all the new faces for us, you would think there was plenty to talk about.

• Like 1

Not surprisingingly, a lot of overreactions here. We had basically none of creative players on the pitch, which will make a difference in our attack, and the defense had man u. In control the whole game. One bit of fortune (after an admittedly slack piece of defending) and a missed pen leave them with 3 pts.

Edit: and let me add: amavi is really good. His anticipation is so far ahead of everyone else.

Completely agree with that post.

• Like 1

Thought we showed more promise than I expected at this stage, a lot more. we are solid and hard working. Add in creativity and a goal scorer and I think by Christmas we will be a solid mid table side.

Positives: Amavi - great value, class; Richards - better than I thought he would be, early days; Bacuna - given a chance, taking it, not shy; Sinclair - some have polar view but I thought he was bright and tricky; Gana - solid; Westwood - steady, solid; Gil, Grealish, Amavi yet to figure; new forward yet to be bought; midfield energy, can see a growing understanding; tight interplay; Gestede looks a threat. We didn't look too bad and there's a lot to come.

Negatives: lack of creativity; Gabby - it's over dude; back 4 unfamiliarity; Veretout - needs to find his groove, it I'll come; Ayew making poor decisions, needs to be more direct and decisive, it will come. We need a solid goal scorer.

I feel happy and content.

100% agree.

Thought the after match coverage of Villa on sky was embarrassing broadcasting for the panel of pundits.

you wouldn't think we had been playing and particularly as we were at home, it was an insult....with all the new faces for us, you would think there was plenty to talk about.

Welcome to the Top 4 wankfest that is Sky. Nice to see Dwight leading the line on that (not).

Â