• Poor
    • Very Poor
  2. 2. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

Your ratings and reactions please. Keep it respectful even if you know everyone else is wrong.

Man of the match voting in the other thread.

This thread will lock about three days after the match so that the polls are fixed. Please start another to continue discussion of the game.

I thought overall we played good for a team who haven't gelled yet. A few good signs near the end of the 2nd half of things to come.

Unfortunately, I find myself furious with the referee as always when we play the top 4. They just seem scared to give decisions against them. Should have been a penalty. Should have been a different game.

A draw would have been a fair result.

• Like 2

Started both halves well. Lacked attacking impetus. Soft goal to concede.

Amavi was good. Gana started really well but faded. Ayew should've been taken off as all our moves seemed to break down with him later in the game. Westwood had a good game.

Dwight Yorke is pissing me off with all this "we" talk on sky.

Hopefully Gestede will be ready to start next week because the front three we started with weren't good enough.

One last word on the ref, thought he was weak... we definitely should've had a pen.

• Like 1

I think it's a game that can be put down to the players not really knowing each other very well. Individually not bad at all, but as a collective looked like they need a few more games together in order to be a team that could get a result against a top 4 team.

Can't be too disappointed...though I do think it should have definitely been a draw, neither side deserved to win that. It will take time, but as these players get more experience with each other, the performances will certainly improve. 

There is also a clear disconnect between midfield and forwards at the moment, but I think once Gestede is fully fit as well as Grealish/Gil/Traore, the team will have a lot more attacking intent about it.

tired of losing to manure.

pretty dull game 0-0 would have been a fair result gabby ayew and sinclair at the same time does not work the sooner gil, grealish and traore are up to speed the better.

getting tired of seeing gabby in this team he offers nothing.

ayew looks like he is gonna need a lot of time to settle in.

veretout still didnt look match fit.

gana and amavi look a step above.

sanchez did pretty well when he came on too.

The result was as expected.

Our defense looks good, especially Amavi who was our best player, followed by Richards. Sanchez was quite good aswell, as was Guzan.

Gabby, Veretout were invisible.

Our worst player, especially on the second half, was Gana. He lost the ball every time, lost every battle. Ayew wasn't good either.

Again, we seem to have trouble going forward. Hopefully Adama solves this.

Without casting any judgements on any particular player's ability to do well for us in the future, and ignoring external factors: Ayew and Veretout were very poor. We carried the pair of them, something which we couldn't afford to do, particularly in the face of a 20 year victory drought.

I actually thought we played very well.

Was unlucky not to get something out of the game.

Guzan: 7 - Reallydidnt have much to do.

Bacuna: 6 - Played ok, probably our weakest link in defence.

Richards: 8 - Solid

Clark: 8 - Solid

Amavi: 8 - shakey start but looks a gem of a signing.

Vertout: 7 - Some lovely passing but nowhere near match fit.

Gana: 8 - looks fantastic too, shame he faded towards the end of both halves.

Westwood: 8 - Nice passing.

Sinclair: 6 - seemed somewhat anonymous.

Ayew: 7 - loved his tracking back, holding up, passing but nothing final.

Gabby: 4 - the weakest link I'm afraid. I love the kid but totally anonymous.

Once we have Grealish and Gil back plus Traore we will look much better up front. Still think we are a striker short.

• Like 1

I thought man Utd were very poor by their standards and I cant work out whether it was because we matched them on the pitch or they're just shite this season...

Certainly we nullified their attack (Rooney and depay were awful) and thought our midfield controlled our possession well but we missed either a Gil, Grealish or a even a Cole to make that final ball count.

We lacked ingenuity in attack although I thought both ayew and Sinclair showed some good play at times.

Considering this team is new as a collective, there were more positive signs than negative.

Their goal was well made but slightly fortuitous in the way it deflected off Clark, evading both guzan and Amavi on the line.

Plus, on another day we could've had a penalty for Richards being throttled in the box.

Normally I'd be a bit more disappointed but looking at the greater scheme of things, this performance bodes well.

Motm Richards (not a cb

Edited by theboyangel

Our defense looks good, especially Amavi who was our best player, followed by Richards. Sanchez was quite good aswell, as was Guzan.

Our worst player, especially on the second half, was Gana. He lost the ball every time, lost every battle. Ayew wasn't good either.

I strongly disagree with your assessment of Gana. It amuses me how people can read the game so differently, and I guess that's part of the beauty of the game. But for me, Gana was head and shoulders our best player.

Now, I broach this subject delicately, but are you sure you weren't mistaking Gana for Ayew?

• Like 4

Another hugely frustrating game against them. Really makes you want to bang your head against the wall, particularly as that's probably as bad as Man. Utd will ever play at Villa Park. The team worked hard enough, the desire was there but we just have to show more as an attacking threat at home, it was so impotent, it's difficult to take. I'm hoping it improves with Gil/Grealish/Traore, it really needs to. 

Defence looked pretty shaky on set pieces, although Richards won most stuff in the air. Amavi and Gueye were alright. As each game passes I struggle to understand the point of Gabby. The team needs time on the training ground and I think we'll be alright. 

Edited by nobler

We gave the ball away very cheaply. Sherwood is no miracle worker, it's going to take a while for this team to gel.

Man U were quite poor too. Frustrating to watch.

Veretout not fit enough, Gana good in parts. Westwood was excellent, as was Amavi.

Ayew was poor, Gabby ineffective.

Richards and Clark look quite solid.

Really lacking in creativity in the final third (a very familiar problem). Need to get Grealish / Gil / a new number 10 in the side as soon as possible. Defensively OK again, Gueye at fault for the goal, not tracking his man. Veretout was fairly anonymous again, and looks a off the pace for the Premier League at the moment (I think it will come though). If Gabby keeps being an aoutomatic starter, I'm going to lose my shit at some point, and Bacuna is no right back. On a more positive note, Amavi MOTM, a real find that lad.  

Edited by dAVe80

I thought we did alright, we looked a little bit more joined up than against Bournemouth but still pretty blunt up top, I'm hoping that's the last bit that comes as they get used to each other.

Guzan - 7 - Quick off his line in the first half, one flappy punch but otherwise pretty solid.

Bacuna - 8 - Very good, he looked a lot better defensively than I thought he was capable of.

Richards - 7 - Won a lot in the air, looked solid and kept Rooney so quiet that he resorted to fouling him

Clark - 7 - Composed and aggressive when he needed to be 

Amavi - 8 - I've seen two games and two games are more than enough, this boy will be a superstar - defensively sound, good going forward, quick, bright, energetic. I heart Amavi.

Westwood - 7 - neat and tidy, it's clear that the new boys like playing with him, you know where he's going to be and he's not going to do anything daft.

Gana - 7 - lots of energy, got into them, used it well generally but made a couple of sloppy passes

Veretout - 6 - Occasionally looked neat and tidy, but hasn't gotten into positions where he's going to hurt anyone.

Sinclair - 7 - lively at times, good with the ball, I'd like to have seen him take a risk and get forward more

Ayew - 5 - not ready for this jelly. He's not committed to his runs, he  turns out and plays the ball back too quickly and he's not up to the pace yet. I think he might benefit from watching a game or two.

Gabby - 7 - worked the defence, won balls and held them up, but didn't look like scoring. Plus ca change...

subs

Gestede - 5 - won everything in the air in the championship apparently - lot six out of six against Smalling - I thought he was too deep at times

Sanchez - 6 - Sanchez'd about.

I thought in the second half there was a little period where we got a cross in, won a corner, looked like we might be building pressure and got the place rocking - United then took the sting out of everything, slow free kicks, slow throw ins, slow substitutions, playing for little fouls - it was outstanding game management and other than the tits on Luke Shaw, it was the most impressive thing about them.

I thought we might have deserved a point, but no complaints, we need to figure out how to get goals out of this lot - no pressure Adama.

Oh and finally, if Mike Dean is a good referee then he's bent. Tonight's performance was shocking. 

• Like 1

I strongly disagree with your assessment of Gana. It amuses me how people can read the game so differently, and I guess that's part of the beauty of the game. But for me, Gana was head and shoulders our best player.

Now, I broach this subject delicately, but are you sure you weren't mistaking Gana for Ayew?

I was thinking the same thing the guy was getting in good positions and making some good link up play definitely one of our best players today.

• Like 1

Â