Best moment as a Villa fan

StanBalaban

Too many - Travelling to all those grounds in Div 3 and selling out the games! Winning Division 1 and European Cup and Super Cup.

Also the revolution of 68 when we sat on the pitch and had that meeting at the civic hall and saving the club from near extinction (we were broke as a BetaMax) and seeing hundreds if not thousands turn up at Villa Park to help paint and clean it up..

Our re-surgence. (was at each and everyone of the above occasions).

Individually - Aresenal when we won the League (although we lost) and Rotterdam. Bournemouth Home - Ted McDougall and that record crowd! Notts County (again at a sell out Villa Park during our 'comeback' from the flames.

This, and the semi final win over Man United when they were the best in Europe and we were in Division 3, 62,500 at Villa park, 28,500 on the Holte, 23rd Dec 1970,

2-1 win over the likes of Stepney, Charlton, Styles, Best, Law and Kidd, will never be bettered, but here`s hoping.

Those fans that saw us lifting the European Cup don't know how lucky they are. The pinnacle for me had been a 2nd place finish and 2 League cups!!

As a one game that 3-2 defeat against Everton was amazing. It was stoppage time!

We do you know. :) We had seen Villa relegated twice and spend years out of the top flight before we found our way back in the 70s. But I hope those that were too young to be at Rotterdam will get the opportunity soon to taste something like that before too much longer.   

Yep. Been plenty of years of hurt before and since. We know how lucky we are.

Those fans that saw us lifting the European Cup don't know how lucky they are. The pinnacle for me had been a 2nd place finish and 2 League cups!!

As a one game that 3-2 defeat against Everton was amazing. It was stoppage time!

We do you know. :) We had seen Villa relegated twice and spend years out of the top flight before we found our way back in the 70s. But I hope those that were too young to be at Rotterdam will get the opportunity soon to taste something like that before too much longer.

I would take relegation and even league one mediocrity to experience the ultimate prize in my lifetime. We all know it's not going to happen.

Whilst we're waiting for our ITK's to come good, and to break-up to Ashley Westwood circle, I thought I'd start a thread about our finest moments as a Villa fan, expressed in a photo or video clip.

Mods, if there's already a thread like this, please feel free to merge.

I'll get the ball rolling...

For me, it would have to be Phil King's penalty against Inter Milan in the UEFA Cup over 20 years ago. I was at that game and that moment will stay with me for the rest of my days.

K-King-Villa-boast-the-past-King-namely-

Over to you.

Good shout, it's really difficult this to answer, one moment i'll never forget is Goodison away and Tony Morley's screamer. Happy days!!

• Like 1

Seeing Dennis Mortimer lift aloft the European Cup in Rotterdam with it flashing & glistening up high and tears of joy flowing from grown men all about! It was like being with 20,000 brothers who had all found the promised land rejoicing together...that can't be replicated and the memory will live with me forever!

• Like 2

We do you know. :) We had seen Villa relegated twice and spend years out of the top flight before we found our way back in the 70s. But I hope those that were too young to be at Rotterdam will get the opportunity soon to taste something like that before too much longer.   

From Division 3 to Champions of Europe in 10 years. Remarkable, when you think about it. We'll probably never seen anyone do that again, without a large injection of Arab / Russian money.  

• Like 1

I was too young to properly remember us winning the League and European Cup, although I do have memories of us listening on the radio and hearing us being knocked out of Europe by a Boniek inspired Juventus. Therefore my best moment would be the Coca Cola Cup final win over Man Utd in '94 to put a halt to their domestic treble that all their fans were telling us they wwre going to win. It was a great day out in the old Wembley. I couldn't go to the '96 final as I didn't have a season ticket that year unfortunately and for some reason my Dad couldn't get me one.

Beating Inter Milan twice at VP is pretty high up as well, the first one 2-0 with Nielson and Platt scoring was ruined by losing 3-0 at the San Siro a couple of weeks later, but the second time around when we beat them on penalties was pretty amazing.

But I suppose my happiest memory was being the Mascot for Villa v Chelsea on 26th April 1986, I got to run out with the team led by Allan Evans and have a kick about pre-match, look around the changing rooms, watch the match in the directors box, my dad met Gordon Banks before the match and got his autograph on my programme. To cap it off we won 3-1 to secure our place in division 1 for another season. (Unfortunately we all know what happened the following season :(  )

Looking back through the photos, and I have a picture of me with Allan Evans, Simon Stainrod , and a pic of me sitting on the bench with Graham Turner, Ron Wylie and whisper it quietly Steve Hodge.

• Like 1

1971 SF .v. Man U - what an atmosphere

1972 Bournemouth at home; Notts County away - 20k Villa fans there ?

1975 Blackpool away - Brian Little's volleyed goal

1976 Villa 5 Liverpool 1 - told a Blues fan the score later and watched his jaw drop as he realised it was Villa 5 ..

Edited by spineynorman

and there's more ..

1980 Everton away

1982 Anderlect away and Rotterdam

and many many more

also entering the Kop at St Andrews when Thomson scored

Derby away and the balloons

Bradford away under GT

Everton away - last GT match

Boro away when Andy Gray scored (the black lad not the ex - Sky fella)

Burnley away when Heskey equalised

Sunderland 6-1 at home

oh and Rangers at home when I took the British record for the fastest mile not on a running track

Â