Best moment as a Villa fan

StanBalaban

Best: Upper Holte for the last minute penalty (that was never a penalty) against Brum a few years back.

Most amusing: sitting in a PhD-level class on a different continent sneakily checking updates on the score on some League Cup match when I notice another Villa fan (the poster Fab, above) doing the same.

Pretty sure that was the third round game against Man City. N'Zogbia and Gabby scoring in extra time? 

Edit: In 2012

Edited by Fab

Can't remember the name of the opposition but we we were 2-0 down at home in uefa cup. Got it back to 2-1 then 18 year old Darius Vassell comes on and scores two goals in stoppage time.

Stromsgodset I think?

I believe it was. Didn't he also go back to school the following morning?

Ha! That does ring a very faint bell! Collymore got a hatrick in the return leg, I think.

Which reminds me, the home leg against athletico Madrid is one of those games which could have been included in this thread for me.

But it doesn't so it shouldn't.

the league cup wins against united and leeds are up there and also the inter milan game where phil king put the penalty away, the atmosphere at villa park that night was electric. but for me the tranmere game is probably the one that comes top for me in my lifetime.

Best moment? 5 years of relegation battles fearing the worst for my club, suffering embarrassment week in week out, ridiculed by all, only to have that superceded by this transfer window.

Oh, and Sir Tim, no dour, down beat pressers anymore

Edited by Tubby

JPA's first goal. It's the moment when we KNEW that Coventry were going down and as a Warwickshire based fan it didn't really get any better than that.

Did you notice me hug him?

That's in my top 5!

It was Ian Taylor's celebration which made it so great.  There aren't really any good videos of it on YouTube so this one will have to do. Keep your eye on Ian Taylor. He had run off the pitch about half a second before Pablo scored and he was standing immediately in front of where we are.  You can just about see him make a huge pointing to the floor gesture when the ball goes in and he mouthed "GOING DOWN!" to our corner of the Holte.  The atmosphere was electric after that goal and it was only two or three minutes later when Merson scored that screamer to seal their fate. 

Like I said, living in Warwickshire the game had extra meaning for me. Villa and Coventry were the two most supported clubs where I grew up and there was quite the rivalry, I had three or four mates in the Cov end and I got a few texts from them at half time.  This was also only a year after the cup final and my mate still had the huge Villa flag he took to Wembley with him in the boot of the car so that was flown out of the window as we drove back down the M6 towards junction 3.  The amount of evil looks we got from Cov fans heading the same way was priceless. :flag:

This was another great day.  We absolutely annihilated Wolves that day, I think we had about ten corners in the first half hour.   I've got a really gobby Wolves mate at work (He's always on WM phone ins and he does a Wolves podcast) and I gave him some shit on Monday morning.

"Did you go to the game?" was all he could say back.  I took the match ticket out of my pocket and gave it to him.  :) 

Edited by The_Rev

At about 6.25 in that video you see Angel come to a sudden stop as he's waving his arms in the air. That's me tripping in to him full pelt and hugging him whilst falling to my knees! 

I've told this a few times over the years but yeah, I was on the pitch for a good 20 seconds afterwards as I tried to evade the stewards. Lord knows where I thought I was going to go. Needless to say it was out the big corner gates between the Holte End and the Witton Lane stand. A policeman called me a "**** clearing in the woods" and I missed Merson's winner, but my lord did I hear the roar. 

I then got caught up in the skirmish on Witton Lane afterwards, dodging feltchers all the way back to the car park and the safety of my bemused father who told me "you just went mental son, I've never seen you out of control like that"!

Quite an eventful 15 minutes or so for me! Now I'm remembering it that is the same day John Hartson told me to **** off for calling him a silly fat word removed. I was a pretty lively 17 year old!

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

You absolute legend. Shared so I get to keep forever with any luck.

P.S. put a shirt on you sexy bastard.

It's a shirt of painted flowers ... :blush:

for all the criticism he receives, that pass from Gabby was brilliant

reason I love that game was because it was ultimate smash and grab, we were pretty poor from what I remember of the game

We had Sidwell's goal in first few minutes, after that they pretty much battered us till their first equaliser and were the team looking likely for the 2nd. Then jagielka made a mistake completely against the run of play which young took advantage of. They deserved their second equaliser, but it was very hard to take still. Young with a bit of magic though somehow made it 3-2 to us.  :wub:

• Like 1

Coca cola cup 1996 was a big deal for me personally. Cracking game etc etc.

However, if I had to pick a moment that sums up everything I love about Villa as a club, it would have to be Mellberg's leaving gesture at VP. A class act and a sign of what Villa can give to a player over six/seven years if they buy into it. I hope he knows how much that moment galvanised fans. Even if just for a second.

Players like Adebayor should take note.

I'm tearing up.

Brilliant! I'll never forget this game, was on holiday in Egypt with the Mrs, went quad biking and just rushed to the pub just in time for the 89th minute, saw nothing but Everton dominance, then the equaliser, thought well that was a waste of time - then that happened. Brilliant!

Those fans that saw us lifting the European Cup don't know how lucky they are. The pinnacle for me had been a 2nd place finish and 2 League cups!!

As a one game that 3-2 defeat against Everton was amazing. It was stoppage time!

We do you know. :) We had seen Villa relegated twice and spend years out of the top flight before we found our way back in the 70s. But I hope those that were too young to be at Rotterdam will get the opportunity soon to taste something like that before too much longer.   

• Like 1

Â