Pre-Match Thread

maqroll

Rooney will get his customary goal or 2 against us, and given our penchant for letting players break there ducks, id fancy depay or schweinsteiger to grab one too., all broadcast in glorious HD to a world watching us get fingered by Manchester united again.

Edited by Jimzk5

Curse you Man City for just knocking us out of the Champions League places, boo : (

So maybe we won´t be in next season´s final against Barcelona afterall ! Drat.

Half-time: WBA 0 Man City 2

So come on West Brom, two goals in the 2nd half and don´t concede again, please, so we can have our rightful 4th place back and cling onto it with all our might for the rest of the season.

Edited by robby b

P.S. Hate´s a strong word but as well as suddenly hating Arsenal I basically hate Manchester United too these days, as in the club as a whole rather than on any personal, individual level, because whilst generally trying to get through life and keep my head up, this stupid yearly fixture of doom really doesn´t help. I hate the way it just sits there arrogantly on my calendar for weeks in advance, gradually creeping closer, curse you Man United! : ( I really, really, hate this ******* fixture, even more than I hate the Villa v Arsenal fixture. 

Aaaarrrggh !!!! If only I could swap my addiction to football for gardening instead. Damn.

Can anyone tell me a few beginners tips for planting azaleas? Please !

Watching the Man City stroll at the Baggies has made me a bit worried. When the top teams want to play they just blow everyone else away. I hope we at least give it a good go on Friday because if we don't it could be a very tough evening.

Man. United will be happy winning 0-1 I think unless our defence has a poor night.

People worrying about Schweinstiger, the bloke is nowhere near fit for prem football. On Saturday he came on, Nacer Chadli breezed past him and he had to resort to kicking him and getting a yellow. Don't see him starting at all.

We need to bide our time, defend properly and hit on the counter attack as Damian and Luke Shaw will bomb forward so there will be space to attack.

Make sure the crosses and set pieces are good quality aswell, our best chance of scoring probably as the keeper is nowhere near as good as De Gea.

I'd imagine we'll line up how we did against Bournemouth, but with Gestede starting. 

Guzan

Amavi

Richards

Clark

Bacuna

Veretout

Gueye

Westwood

Sinclair

Gestede

Gabby

Probably that, although maybe Sherwood will want to go 442 to pack the midfield out a little more. It'd be nice to have Gil and Grealish on the bench if they're fit enough. Anything from this will be a bonus, so hopefully we will just go for it and put a decent performance in for the first home game.

Edited by JoshVilla

Neither Gil or Grealish played for the u21s so not sure if that means they will be fit.

Manure were awful vs Spurs but even when they are at their worst we'll always find a way of gifting them a easy win and balding ape face man a goal or three

I´m 41 now and just trying to eat a bit healthier, do a bit of exercise, cut down a bit on the old beers and wine, and then, who knows, I might just make it into my 80s or 90s to live to see us finally break this ridiculous and centuries-old, horrific hoodoo with a flukey deflected goal 1-0 home win in the league against a nine-man Man United (sent off in the 4th minute for fighting each other). If I´m lucky.

Actually it´s twenty years now, just the twenty : (

"I can´t stand it. I just can´t stand it"

Charlie Brown

It is ridiculous when you think about, 20 years in the same league as another team and we just can't beat them in a home game, indeed for half of those seasons we've had good teams that have finished in the top 6 and we still couldn't do it in any of those seasons.

I do actually think when we finally beat them at home we'll then get a few others afterwards...Everton were similar in they also went years without getting a win at Goodison v Man. United and think they've won their last three now.

I don't think the record at VP matters a jot at this point, both teams are wholly different to a few years ago let alone United's real heydey.

What might matter is that they have better players. I think we'll Gove them a game, but they'll nick it. Actually not dreading this fixture for once though.

The trouble is, the longer the run goes on the harder it gets to break it because the players are conscious of it, it´s in the back of their minds. Having said that, maybe it won´t prey on the new players´ minds as much.

How many times have we changed the team though, we must've had completely different 11s several times in this period and still we can't manage a win.

I think it means more for United, knowing even when they go 2-0 down here they still expect to get a result, I'm sure in the build up a few of their long serves like Carrick and Rooney mention previous results to the new players.

In fairness I didn't go last year but I did watch the full game on the highlights and think Sir Brian Little on commentary said the players were determined to put the jinx to bed. We could've folded after the Gabby red but fought hard for the point and could've end nicked it with a few chances at the end so maybe it's finally changing I don't know.

The better players argument dosen't hold much balance for me as we've beat Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man. City all in the previous two seasons, all of whom have finished at least one season ahead of Man. United in the table. It's all in the heads.

I happen to be visiting friends in manchester this weekend so I will get the joy of watching villa get bummed by utd in a busy pub full of smug Mancs. Fate is cruel  :rolleyes:

Yikes, that´s harsh    :bang:

Yes that is cruel fate, you´ve just got to hope that the landlord prefers Coronation Street to football or that there´s a quiz or karaoke on instead, which can serve as a decent distraction. Unless of course we do somehow pull off a win then wow what a place to witness it  :)

Edited by robby b

I don't think the record at VP matters a jot at this point, both teams are wholly different to a few years ago let alone United's real heydey.

What might matter is that they have better players. I think we'll Gove them a game, but they'll nick it. Actually not dreading this fixture for once though.

You´re right, the fact they have better players matters, a big factor against us. There have been some games where we´ve seemed scared of them though, just too meek and mild. The players have to have some agression against Man U, some fight ! Having said that, we actually went close last season, didn´t we. Falcao, if only you´d headed wide, you terrible man.

Edited by robby b

I'm concerned this one could be worryingly difficult, I don't want a five or sixer on national TV.

We edged what is a poor Bournemouth side, albeit with the huge boost of their first game in the division, and we looked poor for large parts of the game in doing that. Veretout isn't ready, I'd drop him out of this one, Ayew too. We need to find a way to control them, then look to catch them out with the big fella up top.