Pre-Match Thread

maqroll

Be interesting to see how we set up for this one.

I remember one of Sherwoods early games away at Utd last year we played very conservative and got battered anyway.

Wouldnt surprise me for Sherwood to do a full about turn and just throw the kitchen sink at them from the off.

No idea whether that will work any better.

For me with all the changes we've made its going to take about 10 games before I have any hope of predicting our results.

I felt the Bournemouth game was going to be a goal fest !

Looking forward to this even though I'm 99% sure we'll lose.

Man United's goalkeeping situation is hilariously strong at the moment.

Romero, De Gea, Valdes and Lindegaard :crylaugh:

good thing they can't play them all at the same time!

Interested to see how we line up for this and what approach we take i.e. will we sit tight and try to contain and hit them on the break, or will we try to take the game to them. Looking at it, they are not invincible by any stretch and I think we should just go for it. We have a young fast paced team full of athletes now, so I think we can go into this thinking we have a chance at least, unlike previous years when we have just rolled over.

Man Utd don't have the psychological edge in the way they did under Fergie, so I don't think we'll be afraid of this.

Saying that, I'm not optimistic. I reckon we will lose, but think we will give a decent account of ourselves. Wouldn't be shocked if win by the odd goal though!

Gil and Grealish hopefully fit for this one. Will be very interesting to see what Tim goes for. 

The same team that started against Bournemouth apart from Gestede will start in place of Ayew

• Like 2

Can't see anything other than a defeat. Death, taxes and not beating Manchester United at home are the three things I can be certain of in life.

• Like 3

A team of losers got used to losing against Utd.

We sold the losers so I fully expect us to play crap on Friday but find a way to win.

Sinclair scores against the run of play in the first half, they equalise just after half time (Young cross, Rooney finish) . However Veretout bursts into the box for the winner in the 78th minute.

Thus ends my random prediction generator for this week.

Can't see anything other than a defeat. Death, taxes and not beating Manchester United at home are the three things I can be certain of in life.

Indeed.

I will be celebrating another year closer to the grave. By totally ignoring this game.

Maybe.

The same pessimism that said we we're going to lose to Bournemouth. I believe that if we're all positive about it we'll get a result. Just like women's periods all sync up, men have something similar with football.

I dunno, if there's ever a time to play Man United it's early on before they get into their stride. 

I don't think we will win, but I have confidence we will give it a right good go, and you never know when you do that...

its the start of the season and we won our opening game against a team most people fancied to beat us for some reason, united are a much better team but we basically have a new team so lets call it a fresh start and be positive. id rather play them now rather than a few more games into the season, with a full house behind us and with the fans roaring us on we might just beat them because lets face it, its about time. lets be positive we won our opening game  :) also i think we have an half decent team if we can get it right.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

United were very ordinary away from home last season, so I imagine LVG will have them focussed on sorting that out this year.

Though, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were a tad complacent (Neville's mocking of the away trips to Villa over the summer was quite revealing) as we're normally quite reliable for donating a few points to the manc 'cause. Now fold in a bit of nutcase motivation from Timmy for the first home game and who knows. We are certainly due...

Surely won't be anything other than 4-3-3?

Gestede for Ayew is the obvious change, I imagine we can get at least an hour out of Rudy. Maybe Hutton for Bacuna but otherwise would imagine it will be the same other 9 players.

Would love Grealish fit enough for the bench, this is the sort of game where he'd get a lot more space in the final third and could do some damage coming on for last 20 minutes although obviously not fully fit, same for Gil.