Adama Traore

mwj

i don't care if he doesn't pass to anyone else on our team, as long as the one pass he does make is a cross for a goal or he scores himself. Just set us up so there is cover on the side he is attacking so we don't leave huge gaps.

one of many issues we have going forward, is our attacks take so long and go nowhere, everyone gets marked easily and no spaces are left to be exploited. Adama will draw at least two defenders too him most times he attacks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

i don't care if he doesn't pass to anyone else on our team, as long as the one pass he does make is a cross for a goal or he scores himself. Just set us up so there is cover on the side he is attacking so we don't leave huge gaps.

one of many issues we have going forward, is our attacks take so long and go nowhere, everyone gets marked easily and no spaces are left to be exploited. Adama will draw at least two defenders too him most times he attacks.

The thing is, if he did pass he'd be ten times as dangerous.

You're right, he draws defenders to him. But then he mostly runs into them at the moment.

Imagine, if he he drew those defenders, laid the ball off to Veretout and then made a run in behind the defenders he's just drawn in. 

It's all well and good drawing the defenders. But if you don't beat them or apss to somebody else then you're not making any ground.

• Like 1

I think he would be better starting in away games at the moment when he would have more space to run into though he has played less than 100 minutes this season so not sure we should be pinning so much on him

My biggest gripe with Garde so far is that he was totally unimpressed with Traore when he came on against Watford. Yes he was greedy but he looked 10 times more dangerous than everyone else on the pitch. How you cannot think he'd offer more than the likes of Rudy, Gabby, Bacuna in an advanced role or Sinclair is beyond me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

My biggest gripe with Garde so far is that he was totally unimpressed with Traore when he came on against Watford. Yes he was greedy but he looked 10 times more dangerous than everyone else on the pitch. How you cannot think he'd offer more than the likes of Rudy, Gabby, Bacuna in an advanced role or Sinclair is beyond me.

I don't agree with that at all.

He had one run as soon as he came on. After that Capoue just stuck to him every time he got the ball and he offered nothing.

I agree I'd like to see him play more, but I don't think he's done much to impress the new manager yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Couldn't disagree more. Garde is making this kid realise he isn't Maradona. At one point against Watford he was just walking around on the left side of the pitch with the ball. Literally strolling.

The kid has pace and power in abundance, but his overall team game is borderline school boy. He needs to earn the right to start regardless of our position.

Think Garde is spot on at the mo.

• Like 2

phew, thought i was only one who didnt understand wanting to play him at front. Isnt it all on-ball pace from what weve seen from him? Swear ive read a lot of people just saying he stands around not doing anything when he hasnt got the ball. + the very high risk playstyle which leads to insane amount of turnovers + never played at front. It seems truly awful to play him upfront wrt to the team as a whole

whilst it may look good for a a few minutes when hes on. Hes bad/damaging for the team from what we seen from him so far.

Hes being managed fine so far iyam. Late in games where were chasing

its like saying play Ox at front for arsenal. would look a disaster (some guy said wenger could get traore playing at front or something)

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think he could work as an option up front.

But I agree it won't be as simple as stick him up front and he'll immediately be amazing.  It'll take a lot of time.

I think therein lies the problem doesn't it. We don’t have any more time. We have seen almost half the season pass us by waiting for players to settle in and many of them are still finding their feet.

Traore clearly has talent but we are yet to see much of an end product from him due in the main of course to the fact he has had limited match time. I think he may well be a cracking player one day but given our predicament I think the 8 mill could have been better spent elsewhere on a player more likely to hit the ground running rather than one for the future.

Having said all of the above we have nothing to lose now do we. Maybe we should throw him in from the start of games and hope he can make something happen and wreaks havoc. We have to win games and this lad has the potential to be a match winner and you can’t say that about many of our other players, if any in fact.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

I don't mind him being played in games, even from the start. The sooner he adjusts the better.

But I don't see him having much of an impact for a while, especially against a team like Arsenal. 

I'd happily see him start on the right against them though... just in case :)

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said: My biggest gripe with Garde so far is that he was totally unimpressed with Traore when he came on against Watford. Yes he was greedy but he looked 10 times more dangerous than everyone else on the pitch. How you cannot think he'd offer more than the likes of Rudy, Gabby, Bacuna in an advanced role or Sinclair is beyond me.

Couldn't disagree more. Garde is making this kid realise he isn't Maradona. At one point against Watford he was just walking around on the left side of the pitch with the ball. Literally strolling.

The kid has pace and power in abundance, but his overall team game is borderline school boy. He needs to earn the right to start regardless of our position.

Think Garde is spot on at the mo.

I don't think he should be starting every game and be the focal point of attack but Garde's comments make it seem like he's he's gone to the back of the queue.

Forgoing the obvious threat he provides because he can be greedy seems to be cutting your nose of to spite your face.

A bit different if we weren't in such a desperate position perhaps.

Guys , you are over-thinking it. Insane amount of turnovers? Isn't that what we spend our time doing anyway? Play him up front and let him do his stuff. Running into the box and causing havoc.

He's our best player and we ain't playing him FFS. Mark Hughes must be a mug offering him 70k a week eh, and Barca putting that buy-back clause in. 

Garde seems to be an insipid appointment, a by the book generic coaching manual manager.

• Like 2

What's the problem with him playing up front?  He cannot possibly be any worse than those already there!  Our attacks really do take an age to get anywhere and god forbid if Sanchez is given the as its always sideways and backwards (must have learnt that from Wilkins). 

It does seem there's more harsher standards being applied to judge Adama than say Sinclair, Gil, Rudy and all their woeful contributions game in game out atm.

To me he's the obvious player in our squad who could spark us off with a moment of inspiration in the game. I say give him a run of starts over xmas and see if he can do anything, we'll be playing some slow teams like Norwich, Sunderland and Newcastle so I'm hopeful.

If people are worried about his lack of defensive contributions I say this...play him just off the main striker and also bring in Bacuna to tuck into the midfield area so he can cover a bit or is that tactic too revolutionary?

Ayew

Traore

Veretout Gana Bacuna

Sanchez

47 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Has he even totalled an hour on the pitch in the premier league this season?

About 100 minutes.

I'm excited to see what he can do as he settles down and gets more game time.

But to claim he's our best player after what he's shown so far is ludicrous.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

It does seem there's more harsher standards being applied to judge Adama than say Sinclair, Gil, Rudy and all their woeful contributions game in game out atm.

To me he's the obvious player in our squad who could spark us off with a moment of inspiration in the game. I say give him a run of starts over xmas and see if he can do anything, we'll be playing some slow teams like Norwich, Sunderland and Newcastle so I'm hopeful.

If people are worried about his lack of defensive contributions I say this...play him just off the main striker and also bring in Bacuna to tuck into the midfield area so he can cover a bit or is that tactic too revolutionary?

Ayew

Traore

Veretout Gana Bacuna

Sanchez

No, no harsher standards. I just don't think he's very good right now. To be clear, I think he has more potential than anyone else in the squad by far. A much higher ceiling than everyone else, including Grealish. But right now, he's a dead end. He's way too raw to even be starting games in his natural position, let alone lumping him in a role he's never played before and telling him to save our season. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

people are saying hes our best player. Some other guy i met said hes going to be the best villa player to ever exist. You got people slagging (bit of a harsh word) garde off because hes not picking him. If people were saying the same about gil/sinclair/rudy (which i think are massively OTT comments) then ill be there pointing out all the criticisms of those players and "judging to harsher standards". but theyre not.

CP tried it with bolasie sticking him up at front and it didnt work (two similarish players, both raw as fk, both can dribble). I just dont see the obsession and i dont understand why you wouldnt choose Ayew ST with adama RW if you had to play him? Why we wanting to shove a guy whos never played ST, whos criticism is that he stands around without the ball and that he isnt the most intelligent when he has the ball (seems pretty anti-striker material and more of a winger)? And as pointed out before, the tactic of passing the ball to a player and hope he can dribble around 4 players isnt the greatest tactic in the world when youre over 16 years old

The "youre over thinking it and play him ST and hope he causes havoc" line of thinking is pretty st00pid iyam. As if garde/sherwood/coaches at the football ground couldnt think of this if it was a viable option and theyre just over-thinking idiots. (response to supernova comment)

Edited by gharperr

Â