Adama Traore

mwj

Traore probably just said the stuff about going back to Barcelona out of kindness and respect to his old club. I'm sure if Grealish were to join Barca in a few years he'd might say something similar about returning to Villa one day.

• Like 1

Traore probably just said the stuff about going back to Barcelona out of kindness and respect to his old club. I'm sure if Grealish were to join Barca in a few years he'd might say something similar about returning to Villa one day.

I doubt it.

He was born there, grew up there. He's been with Barcelona since he was a child. They're one of the biggest clubs in the world in one of the best cities in the world.

Of course he wants to go back.

This is what Lambert wanted to do but he didn't have the budget.

Buy them young and highly rated, develop them and then sell them on. The hope is these players move us up the table and eventually make is challengers in our own right.

In my opinion, it's the only way to go. The only way we will ever be anything other than boring mid table bores.

Good luck to you Adama and I admire your ambition.

Lambert couldn't Develop a "Polaroid" picture.
Delph, Benteke, Westwood

Three examples of players who improved and whose value increased during his tenure. I'm not saying he's the messiah but it's clear that that there 's a discrepancy between what he wanted to do and what he was able or capable of doing.

It's a strong blueprint, which the club have somewhat unsuccessfully been trying half heartedly for a few years.

Adama is a pedigree above what we've signed before.

The fact that Adama and Gueye both openly admit that they're hoping to move on to bigger things would suggest that Sherwood has discussed that with them IMHO.

Exactly.

That was my point above.

No way has Sherwood discussed it with them. He wouldn't need to, it's not as if they wouldn't know it already. Whoever they sign for, if they do well they're going to earn a move to a club better placed to challenge for trophies and pay more money. I think this whole idea that we're selling ourselves to players as a stepping stone is just myth that people seem to be taking as gospel.

I doubt it.

He was born there, grew up there. He's been with Barcelona since he was a child. They're one of the biggest clubs in the world in one of the best cities in the world.

Of course he wants to go back.

Don't talk bollocks,

Everyone has the dream of playing football in Birmingham.

The barca stuff bloke on Twitter (who's pretty good tbf, shame there isn't a villa one) said yesterday it was the fee + the wages + 2m

So basically we'd be 2m up on him if they activated it, not sure if it was £ or €

Still maintain that he's going to have to be very good for us to suffer from this clause and it would only be financially anyway, if he's that good that Man city want him in 2 years time then IMO our ability to keep him would be the same, if barca did the dirty on us with the clause it would just mean that the cash ends up in their pocket rather than ours, still not overly fussed by that, I'd rather pocket the 2 years of a player dragging us up the table than the cash

I'm enjoying watching him play, so all the contract stuff is not going to worry me too much. Having said that I was wondering does the deal mean we can't sell him to anyone else for three years? Apologies if asked and answered before.

In the mean time I just hope he's on course to destroy sunderland, I hope no news is good news regarding his knock.

No way has Sherwood discussed it with them. He wouldn't need to, it's not as if they wouldn't know it already. Whoever they sign for, if they do well they're going to earn a move to a club better placed to challenge for trophies and pay more money. I think this whole idea that we're selling ourselves to players as a stepping stone is just myth that people seem to be taking as gospel.

Nobody is taking it as gospel.

Some have just suggested that MAYBE we're using it as leverage to attract some better players.

As two of our players have openly discussed the desire to move to bigger clubs in the future I don't think it's so crazy to think it might have been something that was discussed.

People lamenting the broken state of football in this regard have a point, but only up to a point.

It was always a matter of degree - if you had someone good enough someone would come in for them. It was just that with smaller squads, less sub's, and less international travel there were more decent players shared between more teams.

But Liverpool, Leeds etc didn't win more because they were inherently and intrinsically " better" than anyone else, but because they had money, good Managers, and good talent spotters.

It is still possible to have the second and third, and in the first, in the Internationalist sense we are sort of top 20 out of 200 odd clubs whereas for your a while ( only briefly mind) we were in a more intra- national sense top 6 out of say 20.

So not really as different as all that, and with all the right stuff in place we can hope to be up around as good as we've ever ( since the war) been, namely top 6 ish, decent cup bet, some chances of Euro glory, and a once every fifteen to twenty year exceptional season.

Which I would say is still an awful lot more than about 85 other League Clubs now, just like it was back in the seventies and eighties.

According to him he turned down Bayern Munich for us

But that makes total sense. He's moved for first team football. If he wanted to play for the reserves at a club who won the treble recently then he'd have just stayed at Barcelona.

Â