Pre-Match thread

roonst83

Going to lose this I'm afraid, 2-1 loss.

03/04- Pompey 2-1 Villa

05/06- West Ham 4-0 Villa

08/09- Stoke 3 Villa 2

10/11- Newcastle 6 Villa 0

12/13- West Ham 1 Villa 0

Our record against newly promoted teams in the opening weeks is abysmal.

Opening games against newly promoted sides are always difficult, especially when they're at home. I think a combination of an energised Bournemouth side, a (bound to be) packed stadium full of raucous fans, and having too many new faces in the team will mean a Villa loss. We've made a lot of changes over the last few weeks and I can see it being a month or so before we start to gel and hit decent form.

Should win this fairly comfortably.

Why should we?

Bournemouth have the winning mentality from last year and the gap from top half of championship to bottom half premier league isnt't that big imo.

They'll be pumped up for this big time aswell as they haven't lost games at premier league level yet, it would be better to go there in October or November when reality has set in.

I'm not expecting much from the first two games tbh. To me our season starts with a point at Palace, beating Sunderland at home and then getting at least 4 points from Leicester and West Brom after the international break.

Because even as it stands we have better players than them. There's a fair chance we'll get more in to improve the team in the meantime too.

After all factors have been reconciled it just comes down to 11 v 11 and the team with the best 11 is more likely to win. We now have a very solid team that's better than Bournemouth all over the pitch.

• Like 1

I asssume you thought that when we went to Stoke in early 2008, there was a far bigger gulf back then and Stoke turned us over.

Too simplistic for me, Calum Wilson breaks through in the opening few minutes and slots them ahead and it's a major uphill struggle for us to get anything.

I don't remember what I thought about the game against Stoke 7 years ago. Not really sure how 2 completely different sets of players has any influence on this match?

Anyway, we'll see. Generally the teams with better players win more games and finish higher up the table. If we think we're likely to finish higher than Bournemouth this season then we should beat them. Not overly simplistic, just the way it all boils down in the end.

• Like 1

I don't remember what I thought about the game against Stoke 7 years ago. Not really sure how 2 completely different sets of players has any influence on this match?

Anyway, we'll see. Generally the teams with better players win more games and finish higher up the table. If we think we're likely to finish higher than Bournemouth this season then we should beat them. Not overly simplistic, just the way it all boils down in the end.

It's a club trait for us to lose away to newly promoted teams just like the 400 players we've signed in the last 20 years and 10 + managers and we still can't stumble upon a formula to beat Man. United at home.

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised in the first two games but far too much optimism around the place, we usually go on a losing run when that happens.

A draw would be an excellent result for us 

Really?

Yes given that we have a lot of new players who haven't had much time to bed in and the defensive issues as well as the fact Bournemouth were the best team in the championship last year, small tight ground and their first game they will be really up for it. 

I don't think I could ever think like that with a team that's just been promoted, it would be an understandable and acceptable result under those circumstances, but excellent? Excellent would be beating them convincingly with a clean sheet.

It's a club trait for us to lose away to newly promoted teams just like the 400 players we've signed in the last 20 years and 10 + managers and we still can't stumble upon a formula to beat Man. United at home.

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised in the first two games but far too much optimism around the place, we usually go on a losing run when that happens.

Yeah, what we need at the club is some good old fashioned Villa pessimism!

Yes I think we will finish higher than them but with all the signings we have made it will take a while for the team to blend.

Perfectly reasonable thinking. Conversely, I think all of our new players will be playing for a place and looking to impress. And because they're all new, all of the old negativity will be gone, which will counteract any advantage they have from being a settled side.

Going to be tough this one. As others have said, newly promoted team away, first game of the season is not ideal.

Small ground, with all their fans bang up for it whilst we're still trying to gel. I can only see a draw at best.

Playing them at any other time of the season I would back us, but not first game