Where are we finishing

Stuart Pearce has us finishing 17th, the dumb shriveled up word removed

Where do you see us finishing?

Exactly. 

Say you're a pundit and you're commenting on a team that almost got relegated then lost its best players over the summer. Maybe some of those that came in will come good - speculative.

Failed to pull up any trees in pre-season and your captain is a right-back wannabe CB who couldn't get a game in Italy.

What do you think anyone sensible is going to say?

Tim is still an unproven manager. Hopefully we can really surprise a few, but I can't see anything higher than 15th.

• Like 1

FFS, we hardly even have to improve to get 13th or so. I can't believe how many are predicting more gloom.

We have, effectively, an entirely new team costing three times as much as the old team.

Yeah, we might be in relegation danger, but that's really at the extreme pessimism end of the scale.

My prediction is also based on my belief that more players are due to be signed. We underpreformed last year. We have better squad now. Our relegation worries are over.

I would love a top ten finish, but keeping my rational head on I think I'd be happy with 15th + ... if we can get higher than 15 then that's higher than any time since the Lambert era so I think that would be a good outcome.

Can we fix the grammar of the title?

As someone who is very poor at english, whats wrong with it? should it be "where will we finish?" what makes it incorrect?

Basically, the answer to the question asked in the thread title is '. . . at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday 15th May'. The present continuous tense is usually used for future plans that are already well-established (eg. 'I can't wash the car on Saturday afternoon because I'm watching the Villa'), which obviously doesn't apply to our final league position. Your alternative question is much better, as we generally use 'will' (or 'might') for predictions about the future. 

If you want to be really fussy about it, your alternative could still get the same, incorrect answer, so an exact question would be something like 'Which league position do you think we will finish in?'

• Like 2

Around 12-15th for me. We have enough "firepower" but that defence really worries me. I hope its just match fitness but Richards has been a huge liability at center back all pre season. Now he's captiain he guaranteed to start every game. Perhaps Sherwood will grow a pair and move him to RB.

Edited by pas5898

• 4 weeks later...

GK - the same

Defence - Much improved and with great depth.

Midfield - Improved. Grealish, Gil and Traore is plus if we cancel out Gana and Veretout with Delph and Cleverley. Need goals from midfield this season.

Forwards - Worse. Hard to replace Benteke with a Lerner budget. We are going to have a hard time to capitalise against some teams this season. Think there is enough creativity in midfield to help the strikers we have.

Think we will finish 12th.

EIghth isn't that improbable, I'd prefer to be champions, but being realistic for this season I think the best we can do is challenge amongst the Europa places. I think there are a lot of overated teams in the Prem, if our new players put it together and live up to their potential we could be one of the most exciting teams in Europe.

I think I said 12th at the start of the season and I'm sticking with it. That would be a decent first season for such a new and young side. But, with a year of experience under their belts, I would not be surprised to see a top 10 finish next season.

Â