Where are we finishing

I'm surprisingly not too worried about goals.  We only scored 31 last season but shipped 57.  We've managed 4 in 4, which while not record-breakingly good, is not record-breakingly bad against a fairly representative set of clubs so far.  

We've barely played our most creative players, haven't played our strongest line-up and are in the earliest stages of playing together as a squad.  Add in a vastly improved defence and we'll be picking up more wins along the way.  10th-12th should be achievable, but not dropping below 14th would be great thanks.

(I would like the sky 4 to stop losing to teams that we're likely be in competition with though).

• Like 1

I seroulsy think we'll be challenging Swansea and possibly Southampton and West Ham as being one of the 'best of the rest' teams. If Totthenham have a bad year might we even finish sneak above them. Not sure about Everton and I think Palace are overrated.

I seroulsy think we'll be challenging Swansea and possibly Southampton and West Ham as being one of the 'best of the rest' teams. If Totthenham have a bad year might we even finish sneak above them. Not sure about Everton and I think Palace are overrated.

No chance whatsoever. We're miles away from all of those teams in quality, absolutely miles. We'll finish nearly ten points behind even the closest of those. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

No chance whatsoever. We're miles away from all of those teams in quality, absolutely miles. We'll finish nearly ten points behind even the closest of those. 

I think we are miles away from Swansea. Watching them against United showed how wide the gulf is between them and us, but hopefully we will improve. Mid table finish would be good.

If I compare Swansea and us, with respect to our first XI strengths, I can only see one player we have who is superior to their option (Amavi > Taylor). Even Grealish, who I rate hugely, wouldn't be in a team ahead of Montero, Sigurdsson or Ayew. 

If I compare Swansea and us, with respect to our first XI strengths, I can only see one player we have who is superior to their option (Amavi > Taylor). Even Grealish, who I rate hugely, wouldn't be in a team ahead of Montero, Sigurdsson or Ayew. 

I think they'd bite your hand off for Grealish.  Also Amavi and Traore.

But your point still stands that they are ahead of us for now, not by much I don't think though.

No relegation battle and an enjoyable style of play is all I really want this season. We won't be in the top half of the table though. This season is just setting the table. The feast begins next year.

I tend to agree, but I still think we have it in us to get 9 - 12 th. Watch the players develop and then hopefully next summer we have the money to get 2 or 3 top notch players to push on. I like the way we are going though, signed up our own younger players while getting top young talent. It will almost pay for itself down the line.

I'd say 9th-13th. The team and squad is better overall and I think that'll shine through. Another striker would have been ideal, but we've improved the midfield to a point that there will be more goals from there.

Plus the fact that Bacuna is known to chip in with a few and we will have Lescott and Richards who have both notched a decent amount over the years, and Amavi who likes to get forward.

Defensively we look solid now, midfield is a match for anybody IMO and strikers we have options.

All this equates to us having goals throughout the team rather than solely reliant on Benteke, we will be comfortable IMO.

I stuck my overly optimistic balls on the line before and got them chopped off when things went south.

This time I think I've got justification for being optimistic. So I think 7th-9th for the following reasons:

1. I don't think we'll miss Benteke and Delph as much as people think. It's not revisionism on my part, but Benteke was always hit and miss. He'd score the odd wonder goal, and when the team played well, so did he. But for vast amounts of time he'd be marked out of the game by defenders who had learned how to bully him. The times when he took Chris Smalling out and defenders just bounced off him were at the early parts of his time here, before he seemingly got a little bit found out and then was in and out injured. Delph was a little more integral to our midfield but we've replaced him and then some.

2. Everywhere I look in our team, I see goals. The 2 guys at the back in Richards and now Lescott have scored loads from set pieces so we should finally be dangerous there. The midfield has some serious talent in Gueye, Veretout, Grealish, Traore who all have the technique, if not yet the confidence to bang goals in.

3. I'm now not convinced that we did need another proven goalscorer in the transfer window. When you produce lots of chances by getting the ball into the box like Grealish and Traore can do, you don't need someone to do it all on their own, you just need someone to get in the right places. At the moment, that's Sinclair, but it can and will be others. And when a team has to over compensate to stop a certain threat, they leave gaps elsewhere. If you spread the threat, you'll find space.

I just hope to see some improvement soon from an understandably slow start.

• Like 2

I admit we needed another proven goal scorer, but I am pretty glad we dodged signing Adebeyor - never doubted his talent, just his state of mind and the circumstances of him not joining us seem pretty out there.

Bebatov is a classy player, but he's not the sort of forward we need, and he's looking for one last big pay day. Glad we aren't the cash cow he's milking.

It's not revisionism on my part, but Benteke was always hit and miss. He'd score the odd wonder goal, and when the team played well, so did he. But for vast amounts of time he'd be marked out of the game by defenders who had learned how to bully him. The times when he took Chris Smalling out and defenders just bounced off him were at the early parts of his time here, before he seemingly got a little bit found out and then was in and out injured. Delph was a little more integral to our midfield but we've replaced him and then some.

The Benteke cycle as I saw it was this, 1 in 3 games he would do nothing all game but somehow still score a brilliant or important goal. He would sometimes hit a run of unstoppable form that would be sustained for 5-8 games. A few dips in between, but he could always change games. Then he would get injured, after a long time out he would then take about 10+ games to actually get his fitness and sharpness back, in those games he would be offside every run and a virtual statue for the rest of the time who couldn't control the ball. Then the cycle would begin again.

I would like to see him play two seasons without injuries, he could be world class. As it stands if he had, played more and had less injuries he would have years ago.

Eighth means that apart from the guaranteed 6, we are only bested by one other team from Swansea, Southampton, Everton, West Ham and Palace.  Not a chance in hell IMHO.

That's a depressingly realistic way of looking at it.

But really we have 12 new first team players, so there is just no way of knowing how the season will go. I'd say we've got about a 1 in 15 chance of finishing anywhere from 6th to 20th.

Â