Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

Highlights the need for another central/attacking mid like Praet. Needed to come off much earlier as he was out on his feet, but there was no good option to replace him. Sanchez is the last thing we need when a goal behind in the 80th minute.

• Like 1

I thought he did alright, considering he's not fit, and played out of position, basically as a right winger the first half.

Indeed, I think one thing we've learnt already is that it's a case of Westwood or Veretout. It's a shame for Veretout that he was the one moved out of position as he struggled quite badly at times. Still, plenty of time to come good.

Badly off the pace IMO, also it's clear that playing on the right isn't going to benefit him as (1) he lacks pace and (2) it's just not his position. He needs to be in the centre where he can look to dictate things more, but perhaps Sherwood doesn't trust him there yet due to his lack of fitness/sharpness at this stage.

So far he looks quite neat and tidy but I'm looking to see more forward passes from him. 

Bottom line is that he needs a lot more time to get going. 

He shouldn't be starting if he's not match fit yet. It's a bit of a surprise given that Sherwood is obviously holding off starting others for the same reason. Maybe the belief is that JV will benefit from the show of faith from the start but it's a bit of a risk, can be difficult to recover from a disappointing start at a new team in a new league.

Whenever I see a new player in a new league under performing I always think about Petrov.. He was shit when he first signed for us but he got used to the league eventually, he took a while as well if I recall correctly but by season two in the league he came good. Some players don't hit the ground running, some don't even hit the ground at a stroll. We have to be patient with a lot of our new signings as not all of them are going to start world class like Gana and Amavi and make adapting to the premier league look easy.

Whenever I see a new player in a new league under performing I always think about Petrov.. He was shit when he first signed for us but he got used to the league eventually, he took a while as well if I recall correctly but by season two in the league he came good. Some players don't hit the ground running, some don't even hit the ground at a stroll. We have to be patient with a lot of our new signings as not all of them are going to start world class like Gana and Amavi and make adapting to the premier league look easy.

This a millionty times over. Same was true of Bergkamp.

It took Petrov until his third season & eventually a complete change of playing style/role before he looked the part.

If it wasn't for the fact he was Mon's favourite many a manger would of moved him on by the end of the second season.

Edited by mightysasquatch

I wouldn't say anonymous Neil, not at all. Match unfit, definately which meant he faded in the second half.

I thought Veretout again showed some nice touches and it's still very early days for him at the club, let alone in the league.

If you want to discuss anonymity - let's talk about Rooney last night ;)

Â