Sign in to follow this  
MikeMcKenna

Jordan Veretout

goes without saying. still believe we need to look at more edge on top though since that's where the majority of goals come from. I do think we'll see more goals coming from midfield next season though. about time Grealish starts bagging a few.

Just for accuracy's sake.  Benteke scored 13 league goals last season and Weimann and Cleverely scored 3 apiece.  So 19 of our 31 goals have left (61.3%).

Benteke's were :

1 @ Palace

1 v United

1 v WBA

2 @ Sunderland

1 @ United

1 @ Spurs

3 v QPR

2 v Everton

1 @ Southampton

Back on topic ... eh, hopefully Veretout can help with that ... yeah that'll do.

Benteke scored 11 league goals last season.

I'm not suggesting he wasn't very important to us, but I think this is often forgotten. We must improve as a team, with goals coming from all over as well as the subs. We simply must not become so reliant on one player again.

Wasn't it 13?

Just for accuracy's sake.  Benteke scored 13 league goals last season and Weimann and Cleverely scored 3 apiece.  So 19 of our 31 goals have left (61.3%).

Benteke's were :

1 @ Palace

1 v United

1 v WBA

2 @ Sunderland

1 @ United

1 @ Spurs

3 v QPR

2 v Everton

1 @ Southampton

Back on topic ... eh, hopefully Veretout can help with that ... yeah that'll do.

And he actually only scored in 9 games! Regardless, he's gone now and we are very much going into a new era. Onwards and upwards!

Our squad is going to look so much stronger by the time the window shuts.

I wasn't a fan of the Sherwood appointment but has to be said he is doing a great job so far.

IF we replace Delph and more importantly Benteke i agree

We don't need to replace Benteke in the capacity he was playing

Yet we desperately need to replace his goals as they're the only reason we're still in the PL. At the moment our current strikers (by that i mean Gabby, Kozak and Robinson) would be lucky to score 10-15 between them and then we have Ayew who it's hard to predict, even if he hits the ground running i'd say 12-15 would be a surprise, and we have no idea how many our midfield will chip in either

Gil might get a handful if played, Grealish never looked like scoring last season, Westwood one or two, Bacuna maybe similar to Gil but i doubt he'll play much

Gueye, who knows ?

You can't underestimate how badly we need GOALS in the side

There's the point, the midfield should be expected to score more...if they're not all set on lumping a ball to a big man.  Just look at the end of our season where we tried to change that up a bit, and Cleverly started scoring important goals.

Benteke scored 13 goals, including 1 penalty, in the premier league 2014-2015...the team as a whole scored 31 goals.  There seems to be some kind of belief that only strikers are allowed to score?  An improved midfield and left/right backs should be expected to pick up the slack from more than 13 premier league goals in one season without the instruction being lump it up to the bag man...an improved team less a big target man should be expected by default to score more than 31 premier league goals.

This idea that only a big man at the front is the way forward, which by saying we "have" to replace benteke like for like is the only way we can survive is just stupid.

• Like 1

Doesn't make DDID's point any less valid though. We've a great chance now to build a stronger team where his goals are replaced all around the pitch, not just from one player.

we don't need benteke v2.0 per se and hopefully we're shifting strategy from dependency upon one sole striker, but I still believe we need quality up front as that's were most goals come from.

right now we have:

Gabby who isn't exactly consistent and can't be relied upon to produce enough during the length of a season these days.

Robinson who is inexperienced and unproven at the top level but has potential.

Ayew who might turn out to be a solid signing, but hasn't had the most amazing stats in a league of less quality than the Premier League. bit of a wild card imo.

Kozak who has been out for 1½ years but seems to show some promise in the pre-season friendlies.

Adebayor (potentially) who undoubtedly is proven but also known to not put in a massive shift if things don't go his way. 

I'd feel more confident if we snuck in another striker, possibly one that can play wide, as yet another option up front. at the same time I fully expect Gil, Grealish and our other midfielders to start producing more goals. we should be aiming at a much higher goal tally than the thin 31 we pulled off last season anyhow.

• Like 1

Doesn't make DDID's point any less valid though. We've a great chance now to build a stronger team where his goals are replaced all around the pitch, not just from one player.

Yes, I certain believe so...I think we can improve without worrying about not having a like for like Benteke replacement.  Whether we have or not with these signings is another thing, however an improved team with more goals scored and a higher league position than relegation fodder is well within the realms of possibility.

I know onthing about this guy Veretout, but presumably with all the excitement across two clubs who's fans really want him - hopefully we are going in the right direction.

DDID's point is completely valid and Tim's signings would suggest he agrees with him.  Hopefully Benteke can be our Rooney where we come out the other side of the sale with a much stronger team, including this bloke.

I don't think it's fair to count anybodies goal return until Lambert left. We were totally devoid of any goal threat, it was completely and utterly broken. A whole season under sherwood (or anyone else) would have seen Benteke score a lot more.

10 from defence, 15 from midfield and 30+ from strikers would be ideal.

• Like 1

10 from defence, 15 from midfield and 30+ from strikers would be ideal.

What about Guzan?

Sign in to follow this  

Â