Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

He wasn't suited to playing in an abysmal Aston Villa team so its hard to make assumptions either way really.

Sometimes a player just doesn't work at a club and even if they go on and improve its not always a bad decision on the clubs part to let them go.

Look at adama and gueye both good players, you may have  a point

The boards signings during Tim's tenure in hindsight is actually looking okay. Traore, Ayew, Veretout, Gueye, and sort of Amavi have all gone on to do well once they left our club. What is funny is these weren't the guys Tim wanted supposedly. 

Tim's signings were Lescott, richards, sinclair, and Gestede. None of them did anything for us. 

Then Tim sold Lowton that off season too. 

• Like 1

On 6 January 2018 at 10:08, Stevo985 said:

Firstly I think that’s bollocks.

all clubs operate a transfer committee these days. But because Sherwood claimed in one interview that some of the players weren’t his idea, he somehow gets absolved of blame by some fans over and over again.

He is as responsible for Jordan Veretout as Steve Bruce is for Birkir Bjarnasson. 

Plus the foreign players he was supposedly forced to use were better than the players he allegedly had all the input for (gestede, Richards, lescott)

The man is a clown. Possibly the worst manager we’ve ever had. 

The fact some fans still try to absolve him of blame boils my blood. 

Agreed he is the classic manager who can get a team going and deliver a one off performance but has no plan or strategy in the longer term. 

I was in Italy at the weekend and saw that Paulo Di Canio is now a TV host. In terms of management they remind me an awful lot of each other. 

In some ways I still think fondly of Tim because of that Liverpool game which was a hell of a day out and some of the Prem games that year were fun too. We were the worst we've ever been in his tenure the following year and that is all on him for me. I've kind of blocked that year from my memory though which is why I don't hate him as much as I should. 

• Like 1

Good luck to him, but he wouldn't have made it hear in the PL in any generation of our team.

He just didn't have the legs or the engine, and if you don't have them then you better be a hell of a player, and he wasn't. He was good, his set pieces especially.

6 hours ago, Czechlad said:

The boards signings during Tim's tenure in hindsight is actually looking okay. Traore, Ayew, Veretout, Gueye, and sort of Amavi have all gone on to do well once they left our club. What is funny is these weren't the guys Tim wanted supposedly. 

Tim's signings were Lescott, richards, sinclair, and Gestede. None of them did anything for us. 

Then Tim sold Lowton that off season too. 

Sinclair was signed by Lambert and we had buy him apparently from loan deal

• 6 months later...

French are shite anyway, when was the last time they won anything?

How this Aston Villa flop is on the verge of an incredible career turnaround

Former AVFC midfielder Jordan Veretout has transformed his career since leaving the Midlands

Former Aston Villa midfielder Jordan Veretout is on the verge of a France call-up following his recent impressive form.

The 25-year-old joined Fiorentina for £6.8million in 2017 after a successful loan spell at St Etienne in 2016/17.

Veretout was let go after the club were relegated from the Premier League. He failed to settle in Birmingham and was a bit-part player in that fatal campaign, however he has since shown his qualities in Serie A and is on the verge of an incredible career turnaround.

According to RMC Sport, the former Nantes man has received a pre-call from coach Didier Deschamps ahead of the games with the Netherlands and Uruguay.

The full squad for the World Cup winners will be announced on November 8 and it could be Veretout’s first call-up to the senior squad if he’s selected.

The midfielder has appeared in eight Serie A games this season, contributing two goals and one assist.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-aston-villa-flop-verge-15351199

In fairness I thought his style was a bit too lightweight for English football. You could see when he had time and space he was good on the ball (had a decent spell over December 2015) but also contastly out muscled off the ball.

Still Fiorentina was excellent move for him so his career is on the up again.

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

In fairness I thought his style was a bit too lightweight for English football. You could see when he had time and space he was good on the ball (had a decent spell over December 2015) but also contastly out muscled off the ball.

Still Fiorentina was excellent move for him so his career is on the up again.

I did too.

Its interesting how so many go on to better things.....We just don't seem to have time, we seem to need players that hit the ground running, due to our club status and position.

I guess Dwight Yorke may not have made it, with our current view.

I am encouraged that we are trying to change our style, but perhaps our culture and patience with new players needs addressing too.

I am pleased for the lad that he is about to be called up for the world Champions first Eleven, perhaps when he can secure his place he can remember fondly that he once played for us.

Some players just arent suited to league styles. Henry, Bergkamp for example struggled in Serie A and thrived in England, both couldnt handle tactical side of game

Then again like Veretout, Borja Valero struggled in England was relegated and shone in Spain and Italy. Would be a regular for most national teams except Spain had a scary generation in his position

5 hours ago, TRO said:

I did too.

Its interesting how so many go on to better things.....We just don't seem to have time, we seem to need players that hit the ground running, due to our club status and position.

I guess Dwight Yorke may not have made it, with our current view.

I am encouraged that we are trying to change our style, but perhaps our culture and patience with new players needs addressing too.

I am pleased for the lad that he is about to be called up for the world Champions first Eleven, perhaps when he can secure his place he can remember fondly that he once played for us.

People like Veretout, Gana and Ayew would've all been good signings if we still had Vlaar, Delph and Benteke all still at the club.

It's what clubs on the up do, keep as many of their best players as possible and add to it. Start off that season with likes of Delph and Benteke continuing their last 10 games of 14/15 form and it's then much easier to gradually introduce likes of Ayew and Veretout and they can get up to speed at their own pace.

To just expect guys from the French league to all come in and replace very experienced premier league players was naive at best, we really did learn nothing from summers 2012 or 13.

Also wasn't helped our domestic signings were abysmal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

People like Veretout, Gana and Ayew would've all been good signings if we still had Vlaar, Delph and Benteke all still at the club.

It's what clubs on the up do, keep as many of their best players as possible and add to it. Start off that season with likes of Delph and Benteke continuing their last 10 games of 14/15 form and it's then much easier to gradually introduce likes of Ayew and Veretout and they can get up to speed at their own pace.

To just expect guys from the French league to all come in and replace very experienced premier league players was naive at best, we really did learn nothing from summers 2012 or 13.

Also wasn't helped our domestic signings were abysmal.

Vlaar....never really replaced him.

I think borja valero said in interviews after he left baggies that his time in england gave him a physical edge to his game back in spain, helped him add to his game

Veretout for me was the same as gueye, you could see there was a good player in there but we were in the gutter and nobody at the club gave a ****, absolute professionals like gabby and micah richards in the dressing room, he didnt rise above it but no one did and i doubt many could, agree with villachris at a different time he would have been a good signing for us 

His stats were great in France; they've gone on to be really good in Italy. He was a good purchase at a bad time. However I also think you have to point the finger at the manager who utterly failed to integrate these new players, especially Veretout. 

• Like 1

Â