Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He's a young man, it was his first year in the country, he had a new-born child. These aren't excuses, exactly, but he wouldn't be the first player to take until their second season to show their potential. He showed glimpses of what he can do, at times, and we know from his time in France that he has plenty of skill. Hopefully RDM can a] make him settle in and b] get the best out of him. 

sure look at Petrov for example and he only moved from Scotland

• Like 2

He's not a class player at all, he's just decent, with decent potential. He's not great at anything but does have solid technique and solid passing ability. Physically he's not that great, lacking pace and lacking stamina, hence he'd often get subbed off around the 60 minute mark. He needs to significantly improve his strength and conditioning. On ball he also needs to be a bit more efficient as for my mind he tends to take too many touches. 

He's not a bad player, but did have a very bad season, and was a waste of money. But under the right conditions I think he could become a decent player, I'm certainly not going to overhype him and call him 'class' though. Come on, he has not done a single 'class' thing in his career to date let alone for us. 

I do agree that he could be a standout player in the Championship but that doesn't really make you a class act, he has a very long way to go before he could be considered a quality player in a top flight league.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 4

Needs, along with many, to be worked like a dog in pre season. Has genuine quality IMO but his ability to deliver them has been severely hampered by his complete lack of engine. 

If we can get him right the moments of quality he does possess will be delivered all the more. 

I rate him.

• Like 3

I think a lot of players here already will be transformed with Max Marchesi over seeing fitness training this coming season. We're likely compensating Inter Milan a pretty penny to get his services so players like Veretout will have no excuse come the start of the season if their engine isn't there. 

9 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Needs, along with many, to be worked like a dog in pre season. Has genuine quality IMO but his ability to deliver them has been severely hampered by his complete lack of engine. 

If we can get him right the moments of quality he does possess will be delivered all the more. 

I rate him.

I wouldnt disagree with this, he is good technically but from watching him I think he believes he could coast through games

Aston Villa midfielder wants showdown talks with new boss

Aston Villa midfielder wants showdown talks with new boss
11:01, 10 JUN 2016 UPDATED 11:01, 10 JUN 2016
BY GREGG EVANS
Jordan Veretout is attracting interest from abroad but he's yet to rule out a prolonged stay

Jordan Veretout will seek assurances from new boss Roberto Di Matteo before deciding whether to stay at Aston Villa .

The 23-year-old is wanted by a number of clubs on the continent and also has options in France as he mulls over his future.

Veretout was cast aside towards the back end of last season and departed for his summer break feeling unwanted and downbeat.

Relegation to the Championship topped off a disappointing debut season in England and he’s only likely to stick around next term if Di Matteo makes him part of his plans.

The former FC Nantes midfielder was signed for £10m last summer but failed to live up to his price tag.

He didn’t score a single goal in 29 appearances, and like many of his team-mates he struggled to make an impact as Villa finished rock-bottom of the Premier League and were subsequently relegated.

Frenchman Remi Garde used him more often than Tim Sherwood and Eric Black, the men who took control of Villa either side of his disastrous four-month spell.

But since Garde’s departure, Veretout hasn’t played a single minute of first-team football. leaving his long-term future up in the air.

Although other clubs in England have shown an interest, Veretout is unlikely to stick around on these shores if he decides on a move away from Villa.

Discussions with Di Matteo are yet to take place and are expected later in the month.

The former France U21 man has four years left remaining on his contract.

Didn't realise he played no football since Garde left. I suppose with a lot of the "potential" players signed last summer, they will want assurances of first team football. Still think he would be a good shout as a first team player given the number of games next season and the need for more rotation but if he doesn't want to stay let him go. 

Should hold on to him. Showed some signs of potential. Thought it was always harsh for us to judge him last season being a new dad and moving to a completely new country and culture. Think he could be a big player in championship. Hope RDM can work with him and sees potential in him. 

He was the signing I was most excited about last summer (and, I guess, most disappointed by in that respect) - he's definitely a good footballer.  Would love him to stick around and develop at Villa.

• Like 1

Veretout needs to be retained at all costs for next season. Feel sorry for him in general. No help in settling in the area, just had a baby, lived out of a hotel, and then once the French manager who integrated him into the squad left he was outcast again.

• Like 3

I hope Di Matteo will encourage him to stay as I think he will come good. He's not had an excellent season for us this year, but then again who did really? I think we'll start winning a lot more in the championship assuming we invest well (please, for once..) and regain some confidence. This should be a great environment for him to show everybody what he is capable off. If he still flops then we'll know for sure, but many players have had poor first seasons and then bloomed.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

I take that article positively

Me too. It sounds like he is looking for assurances he will play, rather than looking to leave. 

Happy with that, still think he could be a big player for us. 

Â