Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

29 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think we'll try to balance the books by letting go of likes of Veretout, Gil, Sanchez and McCormack this summer. Those 4 are probably on close to 200k a week which is completely ridiculous.

Add in Gabby & Micah and it's over 300k a week.

56 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Can't remember where the interview is now, but I do remember him saying something along the lines of not wanting to be in another relegation battle this season (if you could call last seasons a battle instead of a surrender... Well...) being the reason why he wasn't keen on being here. Coming back into a team full of confidence and getting into the habit of winning games might be appealing to him. Bit of silverware perhaps... 

He can get **** if that's the case. I want players to fight for villa not turn up when it suits them as they might win a trophy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

so if we are on a sell to buy I imagine Veretout is the player we are hoping to bring in most cash. Monaco, PSG, Lyon and Marseille have money and I wonder would any of latter 2 be interested in him.

If not I think we should keep him here instead of loaning him out again as doesnt benefit us at all

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I really wish we could keep him, but I think he wouldn't work at all under Bruce. 

Um - how many players brought in during the January transfer window would you say would be absolutely nailed on to work in a typical Steve Bruce team?

Yet they were still bought. Why?

Still think he'll be gone, but I wouldn't rule out Veretout returning 100%.

On 3/22/2017 at 02:47, TB said:

Young family moving to a new country, about to have their firstborn, not speaking the language, so depending on (apparently close to non-existent) support from the club.  Manager won't give him the time of day, not speaking to him for a month and then when things went belly-up publicly washing his hands of him and the other foreign players, saying they were not his choices, despite claiming he'd been scouting them for a long time at the time of their signing.

UK-based overpaid and underperforming players doing their anti-French Secret Santa video, showcasing an obvious dressing room split.

New French-speaking manager not given any support at all during the next transfer window, but instead left to struggle with a badly malfunctioning squad (I believe Garde was the wrong choice at the time - a Frenchman brought in when there were an obvious English-based vs. French newcomers split in the squad just swapped the us/them stances, but I still believe he might have been a good choice given a pre-season and some money to bring in the players he wanted.).

At the time of relegation, there were Villa fans on this and other forums worrying that Villa might indeed face a second relegation due to the abysmal state (and team performances) of the club. If he actually have said what DeadlyDirk claimed he did, I don't blame him at all.

Doesn't a lot of that first paragraph remind anyone of what happened with Matieu Berson??

Edited by DJ_Villain

On 22/03/2017 at 00:47, TB said:

Young family moving to a new country, about to have their firstborn, not speaking the language, so depending on (apparently close to non-existent) support from the club.  Manager won't give him the time of day, not speaking to him for a month and then when things went belly-up publicly washing his hands of him and the other foreign players, saying they were not his choices, despite claiming he'd been scouting them for a long time at the time of their signing.

UK-based overpaid and underperforming players doing their anti-French Secret Santa video, showcasing an obvious dressing room split.

New French-speaking manager not given any support at all during the next transfer window, but instead left to struggle with a badly malfunctioning squad (I believe Garde was the wrong choice at the time - a Frenchman brought in when there were an obvious English-based vs. French newcomers split in the squad just swapped the us/them stances, but I still believe he might have been a good choice given a pre-season and some money to bring in the players he wanted.).

At the time of relegation, there were Villa fans on this and other forums worrying that Villa might indeed face a second relegation due to the abysmal state (and team performances) of the club. If he actually have said what DeadlyDirk claimed he did, I don't blame him at all.

Throw in the fact he couldn't play and you have recipe for disaster.

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

Throw in the fact he couldn't play and you have recipe for disaster.

cart-b4-horse.jpg

I'm just saying that he wasn't given the chance to show whether he could play well at Villa or not. Do you need to add yet another ingredient in order for it to be a recipe for disaster?

He might be totally unsuited to English football anyway.

1 hour ago, Jimzk5 said:

veretout however was very highly regarded and came here with ambitions only to be let down by a shambles of a football club run by clowns lining there own pockets

Was he that regarded though? Most people had never heard of him.

He also let himself down by being out of shape, showing a lack of effort and generally not wanting to be here.

So yes the club made mistakes, but so did the player.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Was he that regarded though? Most people had never heard of him.

He also let himself down by being out of shape, showing a lack of effort and generally not wanting to be here.

So yes the club made mistakes, but so did the player.

Getting quite close to nit-picking here, I know, but nevertheless:

I'd assume many in the game actually had heard of a French U-21 international. Whether they actually rated him is anybody's guess. Obviously, someone at Villa at the time did. Enough to buy him. I think it's quite obviuos that wasn't nice but Tim that made the decision, though, despite all his public boasting at the time.

Out of shape or needing to adjust to a higher pace/intensity?

Showing a lack of effort... As if not being explained the team tactics in a language he can understand, or even getting to grips with a more physical game etc? I wouldn't be surprised if he after a while just gave up.

Generally not wanting to be here? Seriously, who could blame him? I think the biggest mistake Veretout made was to accept a move to Villa at the time he did.

@mikeyp102 (and others): I'm aware that I may come across as a knight in white, shining armour on Veretout's behalf, when in actuality I wouldn't be bothered at all if he moves and we replace him with someone better.

All I'm saying is that especially after that clusterf*ck of a season we had last year, players failing to impress might be given the benefit of the doubt with hindsight, and just might have done better in different circumstances - like having an actual manager with an actual plan. Do anyone seriously believe Sherwood did his best to welcome and integrate his new players? Building a team?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TB said:

cart-b4-horse.jpg

I'm just saying that he wasn't given the chance to show whether he could play well at Villa or not. Do you need to add yet another ingredient in order for it to be a recipe for disaster?

He might be totally unsuited to English football anyway.

I remember watching him in his very first game. My first impression was 'he doesn't really want to be here' nothing he did or said since that changed my mind. Hes almost said as much himself. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TB said:

Getting quite close to nit-picking here, I know, but nevertheless:

I'd assume many in the game actually had heard of a French U-21 international. Whether they actually rated him is anybody's guess. Obviously, someone at Villa at the time did. Enough to buy him. I think it's quite obviuos that wasn't nice but Tim that made the decision, though, despite all his public boasting at the time.

Out of shape or needing to adjust to a higher pace/intensity?

Showing a lack of effort... As if not being explained the team tactics in a language he can understand, or even getting to grips with a more physical game etc? I wouldn't be surprised if he after a while just gave up.

Generally not wanting to be here? Seriously, who could blame him? I think the biggest mistake Veretout made was to accept a move to Villa at the time he did.

@mikeyp102 (and others): I'm aware that I may come across as a knight in white, shining armour on Veretout's behalf, when in actuality I wouldn't be bothered at all if he moves and we replace him with someone better.

All I'm saying is that especially after that clusterf*ck of a season we had last year, players failing to impress might be given the benefit of the doubt with hindsight, and just might have done better in different circumstances - like having an actual manager with an actual plan. Do anyone seriously believe Sherwood did his best to welcome and integrate his new players? Building a team?

Garde didn't select him much either after the initial few games. 

Yup he gave up - I thought the 'new broom' was to instil a mental toughness at villa ?  - not jack it when things don't go your way. 

6 hours ago, hippo said:

I remember watching him in his very first game. My first impression was 'he doesn't really want to be here' nothing he did or said since that changed my mind. Hes almost said as much himself. 

Young player playing his first game in an unfamiliar league, with little language skills and a manager that apparently didn't speak to him at all during his first month at the club.

But sure, it's all down to the player.

6 hours ago, hippo said:

Garde didn't select him much either after the initial few games. 

Yup he gave up - I thought the 'new broom' was to instil a mental toughness at villa ?  - not jack it when things don't go your way. 

So struggling under two managers that proved unable to perform - one in utterly failing in the most basic terms of pre-season training, team spirit and tactical awareness, the other unable to turn the results sufficiently around to be allowed to bring in some of his own players - is additional proof in your case against Veretout?

For me, this isn't about whether Veretout was good enough/didn't want to be here/etc. It's about Villa not giving new players what they need to perform to the best of their ability.

I'd think anyone struggling to impress during last season might be given a little leeway, especially with the benefit of hindsight.

A club of Villa's stature really should have someone at the club helping new players, especially from abroad, to settle quickly.

Oh...

4 hours ago, BOF said:

Well he won't be getting Europe.  Nantes are neither in a good enough league position nor are they winning a cup.  So I guess he's back here after Saturday's finale in Lille.  I'd love if Bruce could convince him to give us a season.  That sounds silly given that he is our player.  A committed Veretout would be a class addition to this league and given our newfound and necessary frugality, it would be "like a new signing" without any further expense.  We need to start 'boxing smart' and this would be in that category.

Nantes will be pissed off that like most weeks he is starting for St.Etienne tonight  ;) 

• Like 1

On 15/05/2017 at 21:15, Czechlad said:

I really wish we could keep him, but I think he wouldn't work at all under Bruce. 

well if he likes to get past the half way line and pass forward then probably not

#saucerofmilkplease

Â