Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

53 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Definitely not 100% Tim's fault, but it was very well known that Tim did not want Veretout. Veretout even admitted that Tim barely said more than a sentence to Veretout for months. Veretout also barely played under Tim, and when he did, it was at left mid. It would be like Bruce putting Hourihane at right mid. Obviously that wouldn't work. 

Our midfielders that season were Gana, Veretout, Westwood, and Sanchez. It wasn't a bad midfield actually, but we regularly were fielding Richardson and westwood as the CMs. 

Not saying its right, to not speak to players, but its not unique.

Ron Saunders had a reputation for doing that to players, who he felt never did it for him.....ask Bobby MCDonald?

Edited by TRO

10 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I still truly cannot believe Tim Sherwood managed our club. For me it is the footballing equivalent of President Trump. Just how did people not see the awfulness coming?

Or Graham Turne or Billy McNeill or Dr Jo Venglos, or David O'Leary.

its seems it could have been a habit.

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Veretout said that Sherwood made no effort to integrate him into the squad, and didn't even make the effort to speak to him.

if Sherwood had held a competent pre-season and tried to actually integrate the signings we might have not been the total embarrassment we ended up as.

I can only say what i read.....but fair do's.

"it also maybe hints at the absence of any detailed tactical instruction at Villa, particularly in those early months. Veretout never felt tactics were “central” to the game in England. It contrasts a lot with what he has found in Italy."

So Tactics Tim didn't do tactics. What a surprise.

• Like 3

Just now, NoelVilla said:

"it also maybe hints at the absence of any detailed tactical instruction at Villa, particularly in those early months. Veretout never felt tactics were “central” to the game in England. It contrasts a lot with what he has found in Italy."

This is one of my stereotypes against English managers.

For sure it isn't true in many cases, but in a fair few it is.

Hate it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Quelle surprise. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Not saying its right, to not speak to players, but its not unique.

Ron Saunders had a reputation for doing that to players, who he felt never did it for him.....ask Bobby MCDonald?

Nowadays I don't think it works, Fergie for example has mentioned how he had to change his management method over the years due to more foreign players coming over.  To ignore a player coming in from another country, who can hardly speak English and living in a hotel with a new born child was criminal.  The only person worse than Sherwood for us was that idiot Eric Black who bombed Veretout out again for little reason just as he was getting a bit better.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Nowadays I don't think it works, Fergie for example has mentioned how he had to change his management method over the years due to more foreign players coming over.  To ignore a player coming in from another country, who can hardly speak English and living in a hotel with a new born child was criminal.  The only person worse than Sherwood for us was that idiot Eric Black who bombed Veretout out again for little reason just as he was getting a bit better.

I was only making an example not saying it is right......yes it was poor management to leave him isolated, but we have to know all the details to pass judgments.

In life you usually get out what you put in.

I am all for working with people and empowering them to do better,we should have done better with Jordan, ...but, there are many types of managers in football.

I like Pepe's style where he seems to value the sheer existence of his players......He invests his time in them, which is valuable.

check out Simon Sinek ( motivational speaker)" leaders eat last"......just a general thing not necessarily football, but enlightening, about leadership.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

The story was that in pre-season Tim's coaching staff showed up with nothing planned out. He thought someone at the club would take care of fitness. They had absolutely zero fitness plan prepared. They were in Portugal literally going: 

"Er, now why don't you run a few laps lads, then we'll have lunch, a few beers and laughs then then we'll figure something else to do next."

8 hours ago, Czechlad said:

If only we had even somewhat of a decent defense that season.

Ayew is doing decently for Swansea.

Veretout is doing very well.

Sanchez was limited as a footballer, but he could defend.

Gana had a Kante like year last year. 

Except we had Tim who preferred Richardson to Veretout.

Still wouldn't have stayed up with Gestede leading the line.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Or Graham Turne or Billy McNeill or Dr Jo Venglos, or David O'Leary.

its seems it could have been a habit.

O'Leary was a major coup when we got him. I was very excited and he did deliver first season (or at least after xmas that year). Next two years the limitations started showing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He didn't play that much better under Garde.

Well firstly, he did play better under Garde.

And secondly, he'd have probably played much better under Garde if he hadn't been practically exiled for the first few months of his time here.

• Like 2

He had a few decent games over the xmas period but he still didn't stand out a huge amount. He played when we were demolished by Liverpool.

He also started at Bournemouth and against Man. United. From memory he really struggled in the Man. United game to even get on the ball so I really don't think it was the worst decision to take him out of the firing line for a  bit. He then started v SHA in the cup a few weeks later.

Not sure he was ever going to adapt tbh as his english was still non existant at the end of the season so get the feeling he gave up as soon as we were relegated.

Gana and Amavi were the two good ones from that summer, shame we didn't sign both 12 months earlier. Ayew was good aswell but he hasn't gone on to do much at Swansea.

Veretout himself has said that he failed as he arrived late in pre-season, maybe he could have done well here if he stayed longer but a lot of games past him by when he was here. He also didnt seem like he wanted to stay in Championship to see if he could adapt to English game

• Like 1

I don't think everything should be labelled as Sherwoods fault anymore than it was Garde's.

Sherwood admitted in his final interview that there was massive underlining problems at Villa that went beyond the first team and he wasn't wrong.

He was forced to play with a squad of shit that he didn't even want or ask for.

18 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I don't think everything should be labelled as Sherwoods fault anymore than it was Garde's.

Sherwood admitted in his final interview that there was massive underlining problems at Villa that went beyond the first team and he wasn't wrong.

I don't think he wanted all. 

Richards, lescott and Gestede were 100% sherwood signings though. 

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Oh yes, Tim 'I watched all these players and wanted them' Sherwood, who then changed his tune when he couldn't manage anything more exciting than tears against Leicester.

• Like 2

Tim 'revisionist' Sherwood.

“If they are a success they are down to me. If they are a failure it’s also down to me. I’ve got no excuse. I won’t be blaming anyone else. You can do that if they’re not your players and if you have to work with what you are dealt. But that’s not what happens here.”

http://metro.co.uk/2015/10/16/tim-sherwoods-excuses-over-transfers-are-not-fooling-aston-villa-fans-5441700/

• Like 2

Â