August Optimism Gauge

limpid

Optimism Gauge  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What position do you think we will finish in?

2. 2. How do you feel about this season?

• Optimistic
    • Slightly Optimistic
    • Average
    • Slightly Pessimistic
    • Pessimistic

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't felt this optimistic since Ashley Young scored that last minute winner at Everton. Truly feels like new era for the club, even with Lerner still at the helm.

I fully expect plenty of growing pains, but I think we've finally turned a corner. Should be a fascinating season.

I predict 9th or 10th

• Like 2

I feel hopeful too. There are a lot of unknowns, and I don't just mean people, but variables which we cannot predict, but I think that all this change has given me hope that we've turned a corner. A lot of people say 'it's the hope that kills you' but I don't agree at this point in time, the hope feels healthy and not misplaced (but I suppose that's the danger!). Obviously I don't expect miracles, but I think we've certainly got the potential to make our own success this year. I don't think we'll be in a relegation battle come April/May, and I think mid-table is more than achievable.

I would say I'm optimistic for the new season, for the first time since we appointed Lambert in 2012. Ok, it didn't work out, but I was hopeful at the start when we sacked McLeish and Lambert started signing young players with potential who I hadn't heard of.

Come on Villa.

Overall I'm optimistic.

Pundits are erring on the side of caution, and I'm looking through Claret tinted specs. Fundamentally, regardless of what anyone says, no one knows what's going to happen. This is almost a completely new squad with a manager who's never started a season. We don't know if they'll gel and hit the ground running, or if we'll be in a relegation battle for another year.

I, however, have a feeling. A feeling I never had the last few seasons. This is the first season with such a large overhaul in both management and squad. Some people will call it dangerous venturing into the unknown, but for me it's exciting. I think we will hit the ground running and have a season where we can just enjoy the football, rather than worry where the next point or three will come from.

So, tomorrow we go in. I think we'll come out in May in a much better position than we expect.

• Like 1

I voted 'Average'

We are a CM, CB and possibly a RB short as a minimum, not to mention being potentially weak up front

I agree with the philosophy that seems mainly centred on spreading the goals around and I'm intrigued by Gestede, I actually think he could be a dark horse this season, but I'm not sure on Ayew and am unwilling to place too much on Veretout turning into a mini Frank Lampard.  Gabby hasn't got more than 5 in him and Kozak, Sinclair remain unknown over 90 minutes let alone a full season. but could be good for 15 - 20 between them.  

Can Grealish score, can Gil chip in, Gueye, Amavi, the centre backs at corners?  If we can get 40 - 45 goals as a minimum we'll stay up so long as we don't concede 15 - 20 more than that

I just hope it's a season that is over before the end of April, the end of March would be impressive

Edited by Tubby

I think we will lose the opener by 2 or 3 goals and then follow that with another customary defeat at the hands of Manure.

The key thing if the above scenarios occur is for the fans to remain calm. We all need to realise that the players are mostly new to each other and the league so they won't click straight away. I'm resigning myself to the thought of the first 10-12 games being terrible with us being in the bottom three at the end of them. But, if it does play out like that, we have to remember what Leicester did last season. The season lasts 38 games and we should judge the team after that. Doing so after 2, 5, 10 games etc may lead to unnecessary pressure on the players and the management and we could be our own worst enemies.

Give the lads time guys and support them rather than putting pressure on them, no matter how worrying it gets. The club has added varying degrees of quality and they will come good if we give them time and support.

• Like 1

Â