Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

On 30/07/2016 at 11:04, andym said:

but thats mainly due to the fact its the only way he will get the ball. He's definitely not going to get it off Gestede!

Seems to me it's the way he prefers to play, spends far too much time looking for the ball 40+ yards from goal, and then trying a Roy of the Rovers solo act.

• Like 1

I read some news this morning but can't remember the source that WHU put forth a bid for Andre Ayew. Probably another case of awful journalism hearing the name Ayew and automatically spamming the web with Jordan as the primary target.

On 30/07/2016 at 14:45, Dr_Pangloss said:

IF he stays then I think he's a good bet for Championship player of the season. He will really stand out in this league.

Not on yesterday's showing he's not....talented yes, but needs to improve. 

As we saw last year he's not an out and out striker although he'd do reasonably well if he played upfront due to the lower standard of defenders.#

We've seen he likes to drop deep and attempt to link up with what's masquerading as our midfield.

I've said a few times he'd have been a very good foil for Benteke. We're not going to get that standard of forward but we desperately need a more mobile out and out striker for him to link up with.

Edit: Ayew reminds me a lot of how Robbie Keane used to play. Not as good a finisher but Keane was always coming deep to link up with midfield and make those sort of runs.

Edited by VillaChris

40 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

As we saw last year he's not an out and out striker although he'd do reasonably well if he played upfront due to the lower standard of defenders.#

We've seen he likes to drop deep and attempt to link up with what's masquerading as our midfield.

I've said a few times he'd have been a very good foil for Benteke. We're not going to get that standard of forward but we desperately need a more mobile out and out striker for him to link up with.

Edit: Ayew reminds me a lot of how Robbie Keane used to play. Not as good a finisher but Keane was always coming deep to link up with midfield and make those sort of runs.

I think he could play as the main striker, but do get what you say about dropping a bit deeper. The problem yesterday was that he picking the ball up on the half way line which for me is too deep, once he's beaten a man he still has 40-50 yards to go.

Fairly confident he will blitz the Championship if he stays. Cloggers like Abel Hernandez, Cameron Jerome and our very own Rudy Gestede all hit 20 in the past couple of season and Ayew is leagues (literally) ahead of them. No doubt whatsoever imo.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Fairly confident he will blitz the Championship if he stays. Cloggers like Abel Hernandez, Cameron Jerome and our very own Rudy Gestede all hit 20 in the past couple of season and Ayew is leagues (literally) ahead of them. No doubt whatsoever imo.

In sides that created chances.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Granted, we won't know how we'll fare this season on that front but even so I imagine he'll be the Championship version of what Benteke was to our chance-barren side.

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

A lot of the goals Ayew scores, he has to create and finish himself.
We probably need to sign 3 attacking players before the window closes to help create chances for him. 

Or he could just do what he did up at Newcastle every game, both work. 

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Is he though? He had moments where he looked good last season but I'd say he had just as many games where he looked out of his depth and he never looked like he was going to score goals on a regular basis. 

I think we're expecting a lot from him. He's a skilful player and he will work hard but still has a lot of prove IMO. 

As things stand with our squad, I would expect his performance to be very similar to last season - no decent support to help him get consistent scoring opportunities, fitful hints of a bigger talent, and a lot of frustration.

If we get in a couple in midfield/forward line who can play off him effectively maybe it will be a different story.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think he could play as the main striker, but do get what you say about dropping a bit deeper. The problem yesterday was that he picking the ball up on the half way line which for me is too deep, once he's beaten a man he still has 40-50 yards to go.

Grealish should be picking up the ball in that position!

From looking at the team on Saturday I just assumed we played 4-3-1-2 but did Grealish play wide again and Ayew as the link man so we left Gestede upfront on his own against two CBs....

Really not sure what RDM is playing at in pre season with these formations.

• Like 1

Â