Emmanuel Adebayor

yayoboy

Seems as if this is becoming more likely, so thought its own topic was worthy.

If we can sort it so it's not financially a burden, and given how sherwood got him playing brilliantly again, I think he could be a good signing. UTV.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3167088/Aston-Villa-open-talks-Tottenham-Emmanuel-Adebayor.html

"Aston Villa have opened talks with Tottenham over the proposed transfer of Emmanuel Adebayor.
Manager Tim Sherwood has earmarked the 31-year-old as a replacement for Liverpool-bound Christian Benteke.
Tottenham want around £4million for Adebayor but the stumbling block is his wages of £100,000-a-week. Villa hope to arrange a deal where bonuses can supplement Adebayor's wages."

I say give him a chance as he clearly has an affinity with Sherwood and I think that is what counts here. He may not give a shit about this club, but if he gives a shit about Sherwood and not wanting to disappoint him then I welcome him. I don't expect every player to live and breathe Aston Villa, so provided he gives his all while he's here then I'll be satisfied. 

• Like 2

I'll reluctantly tolerate this if it is on loan and it is to share the load with a promising striker who will be Benteke's designated replacement.

I'd rather a loan than a purchase. Spurs are so keen to get shot of him I bet we could haggle them down to almost nothing.

He would no doubt be a good supplement to the squad as it currently stands (hopefully we would still get a younger guy to develop alongside him) but we just got rid of Bent's wages after all these years. I'd hate for us to be bogged down by another large wage outlay for an aging Striker for the coming years.

Only if he's coming in alongside a raw 'project' player who may need time settling in. I'd be worried about him actually putting any effort in the short term, and being saddled with his wages and off-field problems in the long term. I can't help feel Spurs will rip us off on this.

£4 million on a player that Spurs seem desperate to get rid of seems like an absolutely terrible deal from our point of view. If he was bought in as our first choice striker I think it's a step in the wrong direction for the club. As a back-up, ok. But he doesn't seem the sought of player to be happy here as a back-up.

Could Sherwood be signing this guy to try and raise the prestige of the club a bit? I mean Adebayor love him or hate him has played for some of the best teams in the world and is unquestionably a quality player on his day. Could this just be more to try and bring that allure the club has missed for a while.

Edited by Daweii

Loan would be ideal, split his wages down the middle with Spurs. Hopefully the added incentive of playing for a contract would also be a positive.

Edited by yayoboy