Signing French players at Villa

Juju

In Tim signing quality players from Ligue 1 we trust! 

"I'd rather sign a player like Delph". Really Juju?

I would rather we signed someone who was nothing at all like that liar, cad and bounder. I fart in his general direction!  

• Like 1

The French league isn't as high a standard as some people seem to think. So signing players purely because they have been amazing in the French is a risk, and I hope a huge amount of scouting has gone in so we're not just basing on reputation.

However it's unfair to rule out any French players. And even if you were basing it on French players of yesteryear, I'd say the current Aston Villa is hugely different to the one of several seasons ago. The entire top level of management has changed, along with manager, coaches and footballing philosophy.

We've never really been successful signing French players, but we've also been shit for 15 years.

We're not going to improve massively overpaying for English players or signing from the lower leagues. Ligue 1 is closer to the big leagues than it has been in the past.

Edited by ThunderPower_14

Ridiculous. What bearing does the failure of French/players from French leagues at Villa from the past have on the signings we're making now?

Exactly look at all the flops from this side of the channel.

French or not, most of our signings tend to be a bit shit.

Shall we just close the club down and not even try?

Huh?

No. It's just a statement based on reality really.

Most of the players we have signed over the last few seasons have tended to be a bit shit.

Yes it won't go on forever though. It's been a bad period for us recently, I'm certainly not disputing that but eventually we will slowly rise again like other clubs who've had awful periods.

I'd say signing players who are on the verge of breaking into the senior French team might be a decent start and a step up to signing league one players.

I was merely pointing out (like many), the fact that they are french is neither here nor there - because we sign them from all over the world and they rarely turn out to be any good.

I mean, after benteke, who else has come in and had a really good impact? Vlaar arguably? Even delph was shit for the majority of his time here.

Tbh, to spend 10m on a u21 left back is a bit risky but I'd rather that than just random players from lower leagues and across Europe.

French or not, most of our signings tend to be a bit shit.

Shall we just close the club down and not even try?

Huh?

No. It's just a statement based on reality really.

Most of the players we have signed over the last few seasons have tended to be a bit shit.

The problem being with your statement is that you look at the past few seasons.  It's a different ball game now.