Ultra HD

Kingman

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Think my Sky bill alone (without Broadband and Phone) is nearly £120 a month! (With 2 multiroom cards too). I imagine these new boxes are going to knock that up to about £150 a month. Sky can shove it to be honest. Once they start broadcasting/streaming football in 4k I will consider it. But no way before then. 

As others have said give them a call and try and get a retention deal. I haven't paid full price for years.

7 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Think my Sky bill alone (without Broadband and Phone) is nearly £120 a month! (With 2 multiroom cards too). I imagine these new boxes are going to knock that up to about £150 a month. Sky can shove it to be honest. Once they start broadcasting/streaming football in 4k I will consider it. But no way before then. 

Phone them right now.

It angers me when I hear people paying that much! They will give you 60% off within 5 minutes.

Dudes if you're paying more than 40 notes a month for the full package then follow the simple steps below. 

You have to actually Phone up and request a cancelation on 03332 022135 so the 30 day cancelation notice is on you're account showing your deactivation date,

They will prob keep faffing with tit-tat 30-50% offers lasting 3-6 months but get nowhere near to the retentions department on live chat, if they do great take it up, however your prob best tell them your in a rush and just cancel it to save wasting time on tit-tat offers.

Once done go onto live chat on retentions Coming back to sky and tell them you have received a flyer about coming back to sky that includes 60% off full sky tv movies/sports + 50% off the HD pack, 50% off multi room all for 12 months + £100 credit.

For half price line rental with free 12 months broadband use the link below, however you can still get free broadband on the above link but not phone line discounts (they will have to transfer you and put you in another que) 

Ive done mine, old mans, her old mans and neighbours +3

Sky - Sign in

Show Me The Money!..  

PS…  If they ask you to copy and paste email off Sky then paste this to the MOFOS.

Hello **CHANGE NAME**,

We'd love you to stay with us and keep all the TV you enjoy. That's why we're offering you 60% off Sky TV for a whole year plus a £100 credit towards your bill. Enjoy great entertainment from £10 a month.

Don't miss the latest and greatest shows

Plus with the Emmy Award-winning drama The Walking Dead returning in October for the 6th series, you won't want to miss the shows everyone's talking about.

The Walking Dead: Series 6
Starts 12 October

50 ways to kill your Mammy: Series 2
Coming soon

Watch your favourite shows on Sky Go

Remember, all our TV Bundles include Sky Go, so no more battles over the remote. You can watch what you want on up to two devices.

All sounding too good to miss? Then talk to us today. Offer ends Nov 23 <<<<CHANGE DATE TO SUIT

The Sky Team

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, villarule123 said:

Phone them right now.

It angers me when I hear people paying that much! They will give you 60% off within 5 minutes.

It annoys me that the whole thing works like that to be honest.

Just have proper **** tariffs so everybody knows what they can and can't get.

It's ludicrous that one person can pay £40 a month for what somebody else is paying £100 for

• Like 1

PS for anybody worrying about phoning Sky and "Accidentally" cancelling if they try it, it won't happen.

I rang them two months ago and wanted to leave. As in genuinely wanted to cancel sky for good and never go back.

They still ended up keeping me!

Just go in with the mind set that you're leaving. You have to give them 30 days notice so you won't lose your channels etc until then. If by some miracle they don't offer you 60% off you can phone the next day and cancel your cancellation. 

Make sure you say you will be moving to virgin a few times as well, once they stick that note on your account its job done. I had to wait at least a week after confirming I wanted to cancel but sure enough the phone call came.

Altice confirms 380 - 4K English Premier League Games

Further to advanced-television.com’s revelation that multinational cable, fibre, telecommunications, contents and media company Altice had snatched the rights from holder Canal Plus, Altice has confirmed it has acquired the exclusive football broadcasting rights for France and Monaco for the Barclays English Premier League.

Fixed and Mobile customers of Altice and affiliates in France and Monaco will be able to watch live, anywhere, on any device and in 4K, all the 380 games between England’s top tier teams. The contract runs for the next three seasons, starting in August 2016.

Richard Scudamore, Premier League Executive Chairman said: “We are very pleased that Altice has chosen to invest in our broadcasting rights in for seasons 2016/17 to 2018/19. Altice has an established track record as a global telecommunications company and we look forward to working with them to deliver high-quality coverage of the Premier League to our many fans in France, and the other territories for which Altice has acquired our rights.”

“We are extremely pleased and excited to have entered into this new and long-term partnership with the Premier League, the world’s most admired football championship,” commented Nicolas Rotkoff, Altice Entertainment and Sports CEO. “This is another big step for Altice’s investment strategy to provide the best in class TV content and broadband packages to its customers across the world,” he added.

Michel Combes, Altice COO and Chairman of SFR, said the exclusive partnership with England’s Premier League represents a new major step in the telco’s industrial plan. “The convergence of our telecom assets with exclusive content is core to our long term strategy. We will continue to strive in each of our markets to offer our customers the best services, the best quality, the best networks, the best content, the best football player in the world – Cristiano Ronaldo – and now the best football championship.” 

http://advanced-television.com/2015/11/27/altice-confirms-4k-english-premier-league/

Edited by Kingman

Virgin Media have sent round a survey tonight to customers that very, very obviously tells you what they're thinking of with the future of their services, notably 4k and streaming. The survey asks a little about your services before basically asking you to gauge interest in a series of features before asking how much you would be prepared to pay for a theoretical set top box with this feature set.

Basically, they photocopied the Sky Q feature list and added on a couple of bits nobody will care about. It also looks like they want to charge a fortune for it. They also seem to gave either a second, lower spec box in mind, or want to see if people really care about the showy features of the premium product and could get away with a new non-4k product with some modern bells and whistles (streaming, mostly)... The whole thing is so specific I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement in q1 2016...

Edited by Chindie

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

Virgin Media have sent round a survey tonight to customers that very, very obviously tells you what they're thinking of with the future of their services, notably 4k and streaming. The survey asks a little about your services before basically asking you to gauge interest in a series of features before asking how much you would be prepared to pay for a theoretical set top box with this feature set.

Basically, they photocopied the Sky Q feature list and added on a couple of bits nobody will care about. It also looks like they want to charge a fortune for it. They also seem to gave either a second, lower spec box in mind, or want to see if people really care about the showy features of the premium product and could get away with a new non-4k product with some modern bells and whistles (streaming, mostly)... The whole thing is so specific I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement in q1 2016...

The name Sky Q silver makes me think there will future upgraded Gold/Platinum boxes coming to market.

If Sky and Virgin think people are going to pay over 100 quid a month for their tv services I think they are very much mistaken. There's just not that much disposable income within a lot of families these days (never mind the benefits crowd).

Sooner or later we will surely adopt the American model of all the broadcasters delivering their content through their own business model and people can pick and choose that way.

I would think the full on sky package, for HD and movies, sport, entertainment, fast internet and phone is already more than a ton, isn't it? And there must be people paying that. Maybe they pay for BT sports on top. and I guess other providers will have similar expensive all-in packages that will be at or close to the ton.

I think you're right - it's a bonkers amount of money for watching telly - but there will be people who will do it.

What's the American model, exactly? and how does it work? - I'm curious (would like to find out more)

There will be some who probably are close to the ton mark but anyone who is smart would have threatened to leave to get a better deal. I have phone/broadband/full tv with movies and sports and HD for just under 50 a month at the moment.

The American model is based on the success of Netflix over there. The big broadcasters such as HBO are basically saying we're not giving our content to Netflix when it is so valuable to us so they have their own model called HBO Go. A lot of the other broadcasters will be following suit I think. Basically cable is on the decline because TV shows are such hot property at the moment these big companies don't want to let go of their cash cows.

Some are for it (for the reasons I mentioned above, you can do a pick a mix of what suits you best) but others are against it for various reasons.

• Like 1

Sacked off movies and sports from my sky package when they put the prices up to pay for the new PL TV deal. I would have have cancelled it all together if it wasn't for the nipper wanting the kids channels and the missus wanting to sky plus her soaps and all these benefits shows.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Mate as soon as my sky bill goes over £100 im leaving and just having freeview, its just day light robbery

With the Ultra HD, I think it's one of those things where they'll charge more for it, where people have to buy a fancy telly to watch it, but there's probably not much noticeable difference for most programmes. You're right, I think Dem. they gradually up and up the costs and it's daylight robbery. I get by with just the free to air telly, and if there's something on Sky that I really want to watch, then there are options of the pub for sport, or you can get NowTV on the internet on a payg basis if you want to watch something at home. At the moment it's in SD/HD but it might go UHD in time, maybe. But I'm unconvinced it'll be worth it. It's more likely to be like that 3D telly they had that went away.

Sky are on record saying they believe they can make more money from subscriptions. Your Sky service WILL become more expensive. Their UHD offering is being pegged as a premium top premium level service which will also have an appropriate price increase, which is also clearly the road Virgin will go down following their recent survey. 

UHD's future is interesting. It has the problem of becoming ubiquitous. It needs a lot of content, and it needs to be good value, and it needs to clear up standards and features in the shape of HDR. At the moment the cost for a good set is slightly too high, and there isn't enough content readily available. BT Sport, YouTube. some of Netflix and a bit of Amazon Prime don't sell sets to the man on the Clapham Omnibus. 

We have a lot of new tech just starting to become more widely available at the moment. OLED, UHD, HDR... Of those, I think you can only back OLED to become a significant player in the near future, simply because you can plug it in and its telly that does everything you want a telly to do. Hopefully 4K does take off though, as, in combination with HDR particularly, it brings great picture quality. It needs to be taken advantage of though, and that means more content from the places the average Joe uses, and for a reasonable cost.

I too renegotiated recently. The HDMI port on my sky box was knackered so was watching through scart! My contract was up so asked them for a new box, they said no so I asked to cancel.

Could of days later I contacted them on the live chat thingy through the mysky webpage. Helpful guy initially offere me 50% off for a year and a £50 credit on the account. I told him I needed a new box and he did me 50% off for the year, a new box and installation plus £20 credit. No fuss, no drama. Easy.

Edited by Genie

• 1 month later...

The Governing bodies are now finalising UHD TV standards agreed by the UHDA

UHD Alliance "Ultra HD Premium" Specs

UHD Alliance (UHDA)

– A global consortium comprising some of the biggest names in the consumer electronics industry (members) – has published the minimum specifications that define a premium Ultra High-Definition (UHD) experience for consumers in the home.

Products and services which meet the performance metrics will be eligible to license a logo from the UHDA for promotional and marketing purposes.

“ULTRA HD PREMIUM” Logo

“ULTRA HD PREMIUM” logo is trademark of the UHD Alliance, Inc.

Announced last night at the UHD Alliance’s press conference at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2016 in Las Vegas, here are the required specifications for a television to receive the “Ultra HD Premium” logo:

UHD Alliance Technical Specifications Overview

The UHD Alliance has developed three specifications to support the next-generation premium home entertainment experience.

The three specifications cover the entertainment ecosystem in the following categories:

• Devices (currently, television displays, with other devices under consideration)
  • Distribution
  • Content

A high level overview of each technical specification can be found below.

Please join the UHD Alliance for full access to all technical and test specifications.

Devices

The UHD Alliance supports various display technologies and consequently, have defined combinations of parameters to ensure a premium experience across a wide range of devices.

In order to receive the UHD Alliance Premium Logo, the device must meet or exceed the following specifications:

• Image Resolution: 3840x2160
  • Color Bit Depth: 10-bit signal
  • Color Palette (Wide Color Gamut)
    • Signal Input: BT.2020 color representation
    • Display Reproduction: More than 90% of P3 colors
  • High Dynamic Range
    • SMPTE ST2084 EOTF
    • A combination of peak brightness and black level either:
      • More than 1000 nits peak brightness and less than 0.05 nits black level  or
      • More than 540 nits peak brightness and less than 0.0005 nits black level

Distribution

Any distribution channel delivering the UHD Alliance content must support:

• Color Bit Depth: Minimum 10-bit signal
  • Color: BT.2020 color representation
  • High Dynamic Range: SMPTE ST2084 EOTF

Content Master

The UHD Alliance Content Master must meet the following requirements:

• Color Bit Depth: Minimum 10-bit signal
  • Color: BT.2020 color representation
  • High Dynamic Range: SMPTE ST2084 EOTF

The UHD Alliance recommends the following mastering display specifications:

• Display Reproduction: Minimum 100% of P3 colors
  • Peak Brightness: More than 1000 nits
  • Black Level: Less than 0.03 nitsThe UHD Alliance technical specifications prioritize image quality and recommend support for next-generation audio.

UHD Alliance.org

Edited by Kingman

Sky's first brand new set-top box in a decade released on Friday29th January with new Sky Q Pricing details  

Sky to reveal new set-top box for TV addicts 

Sky Q will be priced above the satellite operator’s current most expensive £90 per month packages

share-fb.svg    
  share-tw.svg    
  share-p.svg    
  share-in.svg    
  share-share.svg    
  share-email.svg
Email

Sky Q
Sky Q is Sky's first brand new set-top box in a decade Photo: Sky

Sky will this week unveil pricing for its new top-of-the-range set-top box, Sky Q, with investors hoping the costs of rolling out the technology will be outweighed by consumers stumping up the extra subscription fees. 

Monthly charges for Sky Q will be priced above the satellite operator’s current most expensive £90 per month packages. It will aim to tempt affluent households with new features such access to YouTube and the ability to beam programmes to multiple televisions and tablets around the home. Later in the year Sky will also begin broadcasting ultra-HD sport and films. 

The company closely guarded the details of pricing, prompting some analysts to suggest investors could face a big bill for subsidising the hardware. Sky will lift the lid alongside its half-year results on Friday. 

Nomura warned clients: “If it follows previous product launches, such as HD and connected boxes, then box costs could cause initial downgrades.” 

But it added that Sky’s record of convincing customers to pay more for new features should give confidence that any up front investment will produce quick returns. 

Deutsche Bank said: “Sky Q should be margin accretive. More importantly, selling more services into the base, not chasing subscriber growth means [customer] acquisition costs are falling.” 

Jeremy Darroch, chief executive, of BSkyBChief executive Jeremy Darroch is betting customers will pay even more for Sky  Photo: REUTERS

More concern is focused on Sky’s continental operations. The German unit is expected to register a loss of as much as £45m, compared with an operating loss of £13m last year. 

Subscriber growth is predicted to slow in part because a policy of two-year contracts introduced under Fox ownership has put off some cautious German consumers. Sky Deutschland also faces bigger bills for football rights and disounting amid increased competition on the country’s relatively underdeveloped pay-TV market. 

Deutsche Bank claimed the German concerns were “overdone” and that Italy, where Sky has suffered in line with the flatlining economy, should show some improvement. It said the operator will narrowly beat consensus forecasts of a 5pc increase in sales to £5.7bn and 3pc growth in earnings per share. 

Sky’s shares have lost almost 7pc of their value so far this year, slightly under-perfoming the FTSE 100

Â