Fantasy Football 2015/6

Junxs

The last time I played this (2 seasons ago) I got over 2200 points by the end.

I feel like that's **** loads considering I've literally always given up by this point!

Have they changed the scoring?

Edited by Stevo985

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The last time I played this (2 seasons ago) I got over 2200 points by the end.

I feel like that's **** loads considering I've literally always given up by this point!

Have they changed the scoring?

Off the top of my head the scoring has not changed to any great degree over the past 2 years and any changes that have happened will have resulted in more points this season than 2 years ago.  The main change has been the bonus points, where 2 years ago there was a strict "3, 2, 1" to the 3 best players in a game whereas now you can have several players receiving bonus points and several players receiving 3 points each.  The added tokens this year are another example that the points are going up and not down.

5 hours ago, BOF said:

Off the top of my head the scoring has not changed to any great degree over the past 2 years and any changes that have happened will have resulted in more points this season than 2 years ago.  The main change has been the bonus points, where 2 years ago there was a strict "3, 2, 1" to the 3 best players in a game whereas now you can have several players receiving bonus points and several players receiving 3 points each.  The added tokens this year are another example that the points are going up and not down.

On the contrary, I think Stevo is right and the scoring is slightly lower than in recent years, especially 2 seasons ago which was the season when everybody captained Suarez every single week because he always scored at least a brace. This season there has been a lack of reliable captaincy picks. For reference, 2 seasons ago I scored 2,109 points and finished in 610,297th place overall. This season I've currently scored 1,627 points so far, which is on track for 2,060 points total, yet I'm (just) inside the top 100k overall. 

Stevo asked if they've changed the scoring (to make it lower). They haven't. The league does lack a superstar this season which would account for lower scores but that's not the same thing. Like back when Henry was an automatic captain.

Yes, I meant have they actually changed the system, as opposed to it being lower overall. So you're both right :)

It's just weird that, despite my terrible start this season, I feel like it's going to be one of my best ever. Which isn't saying much because like I said, I almost always give up with about half the season to go. So it's surprising that the last time I played, when I am certain I'd given up around christmas, I ended up with that many points! :)

Cristiano Ronaldo was the one for me. When he was at his (English Football) peak, pretty much everybody had him as a permanent captain, which meant whatever he did was completely irrelevant.

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Cristiano Ronaldo was the one for me. When he was at his (English Football) peak, pretty much everybody had him as a permanent captain, which meant whatever he did was completely irrelevant.

This and the Suarez example above is the main reason I prefer the Togga game. No carbon copy teams and having to have certain players just to stay in touch.

Plus match ups area an interesting element and add a nice competitive edge and bragging rights.

I'm going through the motions on my normal game and barely making changes.

• Like 1

Togga bores me. Basically it's whatever game you're competitive in. I'm competitve in this one because of my work league.

In Togga I'm miles behind so I've lost interest. It's too much effort to keep up with it.

Edited by Stevo985

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

This and the Suarez example above is the main reason I prefer the Togga game. No carbon copy teams and having to have certain players just to stay in touch.

Plus match ups area an interesting element and add a nice competitive edge and bragging rights.

I'm going through the motions on my normal game and barely making changes.

Yes, agreed.

That Suarez season was so dull. I was late getting him in, by about 2 weeks, and no matter what I did after that I couldn't even catch up to the top 500k. It was just 10 men, every week, and even then it wasn't really because Toure and Ramsey were both essential for pretty much the entire season without getting injured.

In some ways this season has been the worst in terms of diversity.  Not only is it the same players doing the business, but they're all very affordable.  So everyone can have an identikit team.  The only diversity is in which three from Kane-Vardy-Lukaku-Aguero-Ighalo you went with up front and whether your choice of fullback managed to nick the odd goal.  My biggest gains came from bringing in Butland at just the right time.  He went 10-6-2-7-11 after that.  A few others had similar impacts.

12 minutes ago, BOF said:

In some ways this season has been the worst in terms of diversity.  Not only is it the same players doing the business, but they're all very affordable.  So everyone can have an identikit team.  The only diversity is in which three from Kane-Vardy-Lukaku-Aguero-Ighalo you went with up front and whether your choice of fullback managed to nick the odd goal.  My biggest gains came from bringing in Butland at just the right time.  He went 10-6-2-7-11 after that.  A few others had similar impacts.

Picking the right captain and starting lineup certainly carries a lot more weight because of that. I made Kane (who else?) my captain last week and it paid off.

Somehow, I'm leading the VillaTalk league, and I'm not entirely sure what differentiates me from the others, aside from the fact that I'm sticking with it.

Edited by JamieZ

1 minute ago, JamieZ said:

Picking the right captain and starting lineups certain carries a lot more weight because of that. I made Kane (who else?) my captain last week and it paid off.

Somehow, I'm leading the VillaTalk league, and I'm not entirely sure what differentiates me from the others, aside from the fact that I'm sticking with it.

Whoops, nope. Just dropped into second. Balls.

Well yeah, picking the right captain is important.  But I'm just working on the basis that over the course of a season, most people's luck with captains will even itself out.  Leaving you with things like getting players in at the right time, before everyone else piles on top.  Or how many times you sacrifice 4pts for a double transfer.  One thing I've definitely consciously improved this season is sacrificing fewer points through transfers.  I'm still prone to making early transfers in order to beat price rises and price drops, which make me vulnerable to late injury news.  But I've been lucky so far.  Yaya burned me last week costing me 4pts which Sterling only made back 1 of, but that's a rarity.

Yeah the affordability this season is crazy. There have been several occasions where I've gone to make a transfer, had money in the bank, and genuinely not wanted to add anybody to my team.

I have managed to move in my leagues. I was rock bottom of my work league for quarter 1, 5th for Quarter 2 and 1st for Quarter 3. And I'm sitting in first for Quarter 4 too (although that may just be one week old).

So I've gone from Last to 5th overall in 2 quarters. 

VT I was 245th after Quarter 1 and I'm now 128th, mainly due to being 22nd for Quarter 3, so not as dramatic an improvement.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

That one who picked a random team and got off to a flyer. How's she doing? I take it she was caught by now.

Yeah she is sinking like a stone. But honestly it wasn't until about 6 weeks ago that she really fell away. She still hasn't touched her team since day 1, but it's finally caught up with her. She was heading the pack well past the halfway stage.