Coutinho

Benteke

Kane

Subs:
Butland

Gestede

Wanyama

Mariappa

Everyone has a different approach and rationale.  My take on the maths is that you have to judge the different positions separately from one another rather than as direct competition because of how they compare within their own area.  For example, even though the defenders are priced very reasonably (dearest being 7.0), the spread in points from most top defenders to the next tier is proportionately low and rarely worth the extra investment (save for maybe 1 indulgence if you must), unless someone has an unbelievable season (and there's always one or two).  Whereas the gap from the top midfielders and forwards down to their next level is larger and therefore more damaging to miss out on.

In other words you've got to have the big hitters up top or you're going to struggle.  As an extreme example, there's no point filling your backline with Ivanovic, Terry, Baines & Coleman and then not being able to bring in the glamour forwards.  I find it's better to bring in 3 quality defenders for something less than top dollah and fill it out with defensive bargains who will at least play (no point having non-playing players if you can possibly help it) and then splurge on the front 8 as best I can.  Then rotate 3-5-2 with 3-4-3 but still have a bench that can get me out of a tight spot.  If you can get your standard clean sheet 6pts across the board from the defenders then for me that's basically their job done.

The other thing about having the vast majority of your money in the front 8 is that it's easier to manipulate your squad in order to bring in the form player(s) of that week/month.  There are times in a season when 1 player is simply on fire.  If you can get him in with one transaction then that's how to do it.  It's far more likely that the form player will be someone who plays in an attacking role (i.e. not a defender).  And even if he isn't, the price of defenders means they'll be relatively easy to get the funds for anyway.

Changed mine already.

Courtois

Koscielny

Clyne

Alderweireld

Ivanovic

Mane

Hazard

Bolasie

Coutinho

Benteke

Kane

Subs:

Butland

Gestede

Wanyama

Mariappa

Can't stop tweaking my team!

Courtois

Monreal
Clyne
Ivanovic

Mane
Hazard
Bolasie
Coutinho

Benteke
Kane
Gestede

Subs:
Butland

Alderweireld
Morrison
Mariappa

think your burning points having gestede in so early. And having clyne with the start of the season liverpool have.

That's the reason I have Alderweireld and Morrison on the bench, in case Gestede doesn't play.

I just have a hunch he'll make his debut against Bournemouth and get a goal. But yeah he's definitely a gamble.

Good point about Clyne, I was thinking long term with him. I might swap him out before Saturday

Going through the usual pre-season tweaking phase.  I have no doubt this will change before Saturday

Cech (Schwarzer)

Bellerin Ivanovic Alderweild (Turner) (Baker)

Coutinho Silva Carzola Mane (Aarons)

Benteke Rooney Mitrovic

Edited by cudoz

yeah Benteke's in mine. Can't not at 8.5m

Always difficult this time of the year - but also the most exciting, as it's part of the August - October arc when I delude myself into thinking I have a chance before all interest dies by christmas

Cech, Ruddy

Chambers, Chester, Cahill, Amavi, Alderweild

Depay Fabregas Cazorla Sinclair, Sigurdsson, 

Benteke, Rooney, Bamford

so far. 

New team! - taken notes about Amavi under advisement :P

Courtois, Lloris

Cahill Alderweld, Chester Hangeland Simpson 

Fabregas, Depay, Cazorla, Sinclair, Walcott

Benteke, Rooney, Bojan

edit changed again - Bojan back fit at 5.5mil with Stoke's extra spanish support I've decided is worth a cheeky gamble. Bringing in Hangeland in who'll play more than Baker I think. 

Edited by Rodders

Good point about Clyne, I was thinking long term with him. I might swap him out before Saturday

One thing I read somewhere else (so I can't claim any credit for it) - he's in roughly 45% of squads already - so if he doesn't come racing out of the traps like a assist machine, you could well be stuck with him for some time as everyone else ditches him and his value falls, or you end up taking an early hit to your budget.

Schmeichel

Azpilicueta

Cedric

Huth

Hazard

Sterling

Ozil

Lens

Pelle

Rooney

Benteke

Pretty sure it's going to change about 10 times between now and Saturday.

Ive gone with the following which i think is pretty decent.

Cech, Courtios

Terry, Ivanovic, Fonte, Clyne, Mertesacker

Milner, Chadli, Bolasie, Schneiderlin, Ki Sung-yueng

Kane, Benteke, Pelle

i have no idea why you would have cech and courtios in the same side.

Your midfield isnt going to get enough points imo.

can anyone join this? Free to enter?

first draft hmm. dont know if i like. Walcott is annoying one with him probably being pushed out the side when sanchez returns. I should probably be leaving 2mil spare for sanchez
ca358ab24a068022d9adb600c143fc94.png

Edited by gharperr