maqroll

I think we'll go with these two fake no 10's... that's what Sherwood called them I believe, he had Jack & Zog in those role vs Liverpool at Wembley. Haven't heard much on the Chery link (saw QPR mentioned somewhere looking at him now) in a while but he plays in the no 10 role.

Two high energy mids in Delp/Gueye & a holding player. Width from full backs.

Edited by mightysasquatch

Delph                                          Gueye

Westwood                                  Sanchez

Praet

Gardner?

Grealish                                New signing

Gil                                          Sinclair/N'zogbia

How I see it really. We will need depth playing 3 in there plus attacking options.

What is this showing?

i hope N'Zogbia doesnt even get near the first team, not even to attend the stadium on match day, hes a fraud.

as for the lying judas, now that he has gone, i hope Westwood can fill that role seeing as we have Gueye and Sanchez as our 2 defensive midfielders

hopefully Gardner comes good as well but we still need another attacking mid, Praet, Chery, Embolo or Sako, one of them will sign surely?

Starting formation for next season? Introduction of the controversial 2-2-1-1-2-2 by Tim?

Not sure about Delph and Gueye as full backs tho

I just put it as starters with back ups underneath so a 4-3-2-1 which served us well in the run in.

Obviously now we need a Delph replacement, if people think Idrissa Gueye is that then we need a Tom Cleverley replacement and we still need an attacking one as Delph maybe would've scored some goals next season.

So two more needed again.

said it before and this is probably the thread but our current midfield including Delph is possibly the worst midfield I have seen for Villa with the exception of the 2002/03 season

• Like 1

So potentially we could have a three man midfield (with a no.10 playing behind the strikers) of

Dardar.westwood.gueye (not too bad)

Gardner.sanchez.calder/mason (we're in the crap!)

Fibian has left us in the lurch and we need another cm in as well as darder (who isn't guaranteed on joining yet!)

not sure if anything in Darder interest but at moment we have Sanchez, Gueye, Westwood and Gardner which is ok and steady but we need a box to box runner and a player with some creativity I think we are in a better position midfield wise than last season

Sanchez and Westwood should really just be squad players this season.

I don't mind either but you wouldn't expect good form from either for over 30 games, I like Ash but he just tends to play well in spurts of 4-5 games and then dips in form. He's also one of the regular first 11 you'd be looking to upgrade anyway with better signings.

So for me Sanchez and Westwood on the bench as back up and Gueye with two new midfielders alongside him.

Darder and Praet in - CM sorted. 

Depends if they can adapt to the league or not but yes in pure numbers terms that would be those two, Gueye, Sanchez, Westwood and Gardner so 7 options for 3 places is more than enough.

So as per the Gueye interview, we're looking at a 4-3-3, with a 3 man central midfield, with Gueye slated in to play on the right. 

I think we should be looking to invest in a couple more CMs then. 

So as per the Gueye interview, we're looking at a 4-3-3, with a 3 man central midfield, with Gueye slated in to play on the right. 

I think we should be looking to invest in a couple more CMs then. 

One who is a natural ball winner, someone stronger in the tackle who cleans the man out too. 

Those sorts of players are tougher to find but it's a position we've lacked for quite some time, perhaps Sanchez can play it, especially with Gueye wanting to support but we need to break up plays, it's sad when players like Mccann are actually players who would improve our current tactics. (not doing him a disservice but we should aim higher...)

I also think midfield needs a natural crosser on the wing, I can see Bacuna being pushed a little higher. He certainly isn't a natural central player though.

We have an interesting mix of midfielders, ones which I suspect many clubs would take in their squads. Yet we lack that real bite and I don't think we're technically talented enough as a team to use possession as a means of forcing the opposition into mistakes.

I am interested to see what sort of defensive player Gueye is, whether he's a true engine who can pressure/tackle chasing backward or a box to box body, something Delph was more like. If he can defend and attack properly we might be able to get away with a holding midfielder who closes and an engine pressuring. 

What about the Bakke/McCann Midfield

Was that 2002/03?

I see your Bakke/McCann and raise you a Kinsella/Leonhardsen. 

(Bakke/McCann was the last season of DO'L IIRC so would have been 2005/06?)

Edit sorry just read the post above yours.

Edited by El-Reacho