Uber

Stevo985

Uber, where should I start without using words not allowed on this forum. I could test all your patience with the biggest tl:dr post ever

Anyone who drives for them is a word removed and anyone who uses them deserves to have their bank account emptied like many previously

Seriously its the emperors new clothes

Possibly the biggest Ponzi scheme ever

1) If the people picking you up in Brum aren't licensed Private Hire drivers, you need to a) get the hell out of the car straight away and B) report them to the council or @Brumtaxicop on twitter

2) Ever tried to book in advance on Uber? you can't, what kind of a shit service is that

3) the more you are prepared to pay surge pricing, the more you will pay consistently

4)those drivers that cancel on you? they are attempting to fool the algorithm into creating a surge so their next fare is bigger

5) have you actually seen how many instances of peoples Uber accounts being hacked there are? Its almost a daily occurrence. Peoples Uber accounts are for sale on the dark web for a dollar, when you wake up one morning and find you took a cab from LA to SF but you were in Digbeth the whole time and as a consequence your account is empty, your cards have been stopped and you're penniless until payday, don't say you weren't warned. Delete your app and contact Uber and demand that they remove all traces from their end, otherwise you seriously could be next

there more but Im half asleep

• Like 2

2) Ever tried to book in advance on Uber? you can't, what kind of a shit service is that

I reckon I've taken hundreds, if not thousands, of taxis in my life. I don't think a single one of them has been booked in advance.

And service in general? The service I've had with Uber is better than the vast majority of taxis I've ever had. Friendlier, quicker, better cars, they actually turn up (or you're told straight away if they cancel), cheaper, ease of payment.

Maybe other taxi firms will up their game now. There are so many shit taxi firms around, with black cabs being the worst.

• Like 4

1) If the people picking you up in Brum aren't licensed Private Hire drivers, you need to a) get the hell out of the car straight away and B) report them to the council or @Brumtaxicop on twitter

3) the more you are prepared to pay surge pricing, the more you will pay consistently

4)those drivers that cancel on you? they are attempting to fool the algorithm into creating a surge so their next fare is bigger

5) have you actually seen how many instances of peoples Uber accounts being hacked there are? Its almost a daily occurrence. Peoples Uber accounts are for sale on the dark web for a dollar, when you wake up one morning and find you took a cab from LA to SF but you were in Digbeth the whole time and as a consequence your account is empty, your cards have been stopped and you're penniless until payday, don't say you weren't warned. Delete your app and contact Uber and demand that they remove all traces from their end, otherwise you seriously could be next

Thats useful to know, as i've not heard or seen the negatives before.

1) This is an issue, though partly offset by the ratings system

2) Very good point, though partly offset as the Uber taxi will arrive within a couple of minutes of you booking it, which means less likely to need to book it in advance

3) A big worry. The hope is other taxi companies will start offering a similar system and so Uber won't be able to raise overall prices without losing custom

4) Possibly. Though now i know how it works, maybe i'll try and fool it back by cancelling when it shows a surge and then re-booking when the surge goes down

5) Haven't heard of this. I assume your credit card would cover this as they would any fraud?  Very annoying obviously, but isn't it the same with any online account?

As soon as my local firm A2B launch a similar app (which i'm sure they will soon), i'll be back with them.

For me the 3 biggest things are:  

1) Being able to see your taxi coming to you, so you know exactly when it'll be outside my front door. Even if A2B sent an automated text saying " your taxi will be with you in 7 mins", that would be good enough.  Its the not knowing whether it will be 3 minutes or 13 minutes that is annoying.

2) The speed with which they arrive - Uber has never taken longer than 5 mins to arrive.   Twice i have rang A2B first and been advised 25 mins and 45 mins on those occassions.

3) Not having to carry cash, as payment is automated.

I don't think its cheaper with the surge pricing at the times i've used it, and price is not why i use it.

Edited by ender4

A2B have a similar app. Not quite as good though.

They're my preferred taxi provider too (pre-uber)

But their customer service is shit. They pretty much lost me after an incident earlier this year.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

A2B have a similar app. Not quite as good though.

They're my preferred taxi provider too (pre-uber)

But their customer service is shit. They pretty much lost me after an incident earlier this year.

ahh, i didn't know they have a similar app. I will download it and start using that.

Istanbul pre **** Uber by setting up their own service BiTaxi. Mind you there are over 2 million taxis here and pirate taxis. No bacon though, or Jesus.

Pirate taxi?   Do they have Johnny Depp singing sea shanties?

Cancelling an Uber? You get charged more than the minimum fare for that. Here in Liverpool the minimum Uber fare is £3, the cancelation charge is £4. Just for deciding you don't want the cab any more. Any other taxi firms do that to you? Its actually cheaper not to cancel, get in the car drive 10 yards and get out again

• Like 1

A MAN was left penniless after hackers broke into his Uber account and emptied his bank account twice in one week. 

Neil, who doesn’t want to be fully identified, was billed £2,700 for four journeys he never made during the course of one Friday night.

Musician Neil noticed payments for £5, £756.03, £1395.89 and £551.97 left his account overnight when he woke up the next morning.

Uber apologised to the 35-year-old and issued a full refund, but just days later Neil claims the taxi firm again tried to take £551.97 from his account.

He received a text from Nationwide asking if he was attempting to make the hefty transaction, and was astounded to realise Uber was again to blame.

The mess-up came to light after Neil, from Ladbroke Grove in London, tried to book a taxi using the company but was unable to as they had not cleared his account from the bogus transactions.

He said: “I’m a struggling musician with very little money at the best of times and it crippled me.”

Neil spoke to consumer action site A Spokesman Said, who contacted Uber and got the response: “Someone would have got access to his password and logged into his account.

“Our advice to Uber customers would be - don’t use the same username and password on all your online accounts.”

Not satisfied with this response Neil said: “I want to know how somebody can go into your account and take your money. I’m disappointed Uber doesn’t have any safeguards against this.

“It’s obvious a fare of £1,395 is suspicious. Offering me £12.95 was just insulting.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/6712131/Man-left-penniless-after-hackers-steal-thousands-of-pounds-through-Uber-app.html

Thats just one from this week.

1) Ubers response to this is typical, they blame anyone but themselves. They offered him a £13 uber credit for that. Poor bloke has had his account emptied and cards cancelled and they offer him less than £13

2) Anybody noticed masses of stories about other apps getting hacked with such great regularity

You'd be mad to use them

No Ubers available? Try again… same… try again… same…. try again…. same. Here you are increasing demand with their algorithm. You want 1 cab, their algorithm thinks you want as many times as you've tried. Meanwhile that surge is going up as a consequence

You get an Uber but you've been surged? Why is that. The surge is meant to be because demand is high… yet you got a cab straight away so clearly supply isn't outstripping demand is it?

You also may note they don't charge VAT.. because they charged you in Holland. That can't be right can it? They paid almost zero corporation tax last year. Up there with Starbucks et al on that one

Just have a think about surge pricing, effectively those willing to pay more will get a cab quicker. Those less able to pay higher prices? well you can f**king wait

Is that really a way to run part of a public transportation system? And yes taxis are an intrinsic part of a public transportation system and should that system be allowing operators to take the rich home first?

Thats useful to know, as i've not heard or seen the negatives before.

1) This is an issue, though partly offset by the ratings system

2) Very good point, though partly offset as the Uber taxi will arrive within a couple of minutes of you booking it, which means less likely to need to book it in advance

3) A big worry. The hope is other taxi companies will start offering a similar system and so Uber won't be able to raise overall prices without losing custom

4) Possibly. Though now i know how it works, maybe i'll try and fool it back by cancelling when it shows a surge and then re-booking when the surge goes down

5) Haven't heard of this. I assume your credit card would cover this as they would any fraud?  Very annoying obviously, but isn't it the same with any online account?

As soon as my local firm A2B launch a similar app (which i'm sure they will soon), i'll be back with them.

For me the 3 biggest things are:  

1) Being able to see your taxi coming to you, so you know exactly when it'll be outside my front door. Even if A2B sent an automated text saying " your taxi will be with you in 7 mins", that would be good enough.  Its the not knowing whether it will be 3 minutes or 13 minutes that is annoying.

2) The speed with which they arrive - Uber has never taken longer than 5 mins to arrive.   Twice i have rang A2B first and been advised 25 mins and 45 mins on those occassions.

3) Not having to carry cash, as payment is automated.

I don't think its cheaper with the surge pricing at the times i've used it, and price is not why i use it.

1) How does the ratings system determine that the driver is legit? His photo on an app? or the actual badge he is compelled to wear. Ratings system has no bearing on the legitimacy as a licensed driver.

2) So you have to catch the first train to London or you fly at 5:30am so need to be at the airport at 3am….. No Uber X available. Your a bit buggered then aren't you. One becomes available but the surge is x3 but your desperate at this point so you pay. This is no different to a Hackney Carriage sitting off with his light off trying to negotiate  the highest fare he can, cash up front. The Hackney Carriage doing that is acting illegally and the law exists for a reason

3)Other taxis already do this. Uber won't give a shit. You've been able to track your cab on an app for 4 years with our company, not only that it lets you join a queue so you don't have to keep trying.

4) See previous post re cancelling an Uber and cost

5) Not that simple, see other posts

1) see above tracking your cab on an app is nothing new

2)You get the closest Uber to you, this may be some distance away or round the corner. When its further away its of no use to driver or customer, when its close it isn't that much use to the driver. Why? because the closest car to the job gets the job, jobs are therefore not distributed fairly amongst the fleet. Closest to the job will eventually over time lead to dangerous behaviour by Uber drivers as they all try to congregate around hotspots such as stations. This is already happening in London, they even park up on Taxi ranks, which is again illegal and dangerous

3) read the other posts, still happy about this?

• Like 1

Bicks...you don't like Uber do you?

I don't like neoliberalism no

Sharing economy my arse, there is nothing sharing about Uber. As time goes on Drivers will earn less and less, Uber will increase their%. They will also reduce prices not increase with time. Drivers work for them now for the big bucks but all they are doing is effectively killing their own trade. 

There is no sharing go on here

• Like 1

I've used Uber and Lyft probably 20+ times now. Loved it every time. I've been in multiple countries and used Uber, and never had an issue. There was always a car available. I used it at 5:30 in the morning this past weekend in Las Vegas and only had to pay 15 american dollars for a trip to the airport. I never use Uber/Lyft unless I have some type of discount code though. The prices at peak hours are just as bad as taxis, but the only difference is Uber/Lyft cars tend to be nicer and the employees tend to also be friendlier because they know they have to maintain a certain star rating or they will be let go from Uber. 

I've had terrible experiences in taxis and am never going back. I have also never heard of someone's account being hacked, but like with every app, I am sure it's possible, but with a quick google search, this seems rare. There are numerous stories about it, but it seems to be the same story over and over. Also Uber won't take you such long distances like LA fro San Francisco. No driver is willing to do that. I've also never had to book an Uber in advance because they've always been available when I needed them no matter what time. 

Â