Uber

Stevo985

They're a big bad corporation. Just like all the other big bad corporations I use every day.

I'm over it.

If the taxis in Birmingham were good, then I'd be tempted to use them over Uber. In fact, a lot of the time I probably still will if there's one available.

But on the most part, taxis are shite.

I use Ambassador Cars, I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a taxi.

But then, they are based 12 seconds from my house. 

does that help if you are out in town at midnight and want a cab?   :P

What make of cars do you get from Uber in the UK?

Over here it (and rival company Careem) have been going for a while and now give you a selection of vehicle type but by far and away the most common is a Lexus ES350.

I don't think they're all officially taxi drivers. But they have to register with Uber just as they'd have to register with a taxi company. They get vetted the same way. So it's not just some bloke chancing his arm. I'm not sure what the official difference is to be honest. I assume they still need to be licensed in some way.

As for cars, ours was just a basic car, same thing you'd expect from any taxi I guess. But you can request XL ones and I would guess the options of luxury cars will get here soon enough (probably is in london?) as they have that in other countries/cities.

I was quizzing my driver about it when I got mine. He used to be a normal taxi driver but said he gets a bigger cut from Uber and it was way more flexible. I assume that depends on what company you work for though.

Dunno if it's cheaper than a normal taxi. Kind of hard to say when you've only had one journey. Certainly cheaper than a black cab in birmingham though. Black cabs here are a **** rip off.

They're a big bad corporation. Just like all the other big bad corporations I use every day.

I'm over it.

If the taxis in Birmingham were good, then I'd be tempted to use them over Uber. In fact, a lot of the time I probably still will if there's one available.

But on the most part, taxis are shite.

Exactly. 

I used Uber tonne in NY, the ease of use and cost makes it a no brainer. Even more so here where taxis are a nightmare.

• 3 months later...

Saturday night, Broad street.

Usual Uber cost £13, usual minicab cost £16.

but because it was saturday night, x2 surcharge... Uber ended up costing £26.50.

But at least i got a Uber cab straight away, no minicab would get to me for around 45 mins.

but because it was saturday night, x2 surcharge... Uber ended up costing £26.50.

But at least i got a Uber cab straight away, no minicab would get to me for around 45 mins.

That's odd.

Only time I've seen a surcharge is when I got one from VillaPark after the blues game, which I figured was fair enough.

FWIW I got one from the airport the other day. £7 to my house. Last time I got a black cab it was £14.50. It's under 5 miles.

Edited by Stevo985

That's odd.

Only time I've seen a surcharge is when I got one from VillaPark after the blues game, which I figured was fair enough.

FWIW I got one from the airport the other day. £7 to my house. Last time I got a black cab it was £14.50. It's under 5 miles.

Interesting.

I've used Uber 6 times now and a surcharge has been added 4 times.  Twice from Bham Central and twice from Moseley.  All between 10pm and midnight.

Maybe it's just peak times, as it's not very popular in Birmingham yet there's not many cars so they can charge a surcharge? (I'm not sure how it works entirely)

I've used it from Birmingham and solihull after nights out and not been charged double, including nights out when no other taxis were available (see the opening post). I've also used it in Dublin and London and not had it.

By the way, the rating system works both ways.  The Uber drivers have to rate you as a passenger.

If you want to know what your rating is, there is an option in the app under profile.  

It sends a request to Uber headquarters, and 2 minutes later you get an email with your rating.

I knew I got rated, but I wasn't sure how you checked. Might do that now. 

I've been nothing but charming to all my drivers so i'll be pissed off if my rating is low!

That being said, I had two cancellations over the weekend...

Â