Riccardo Calder

sexbelowsound

I actually thought he looked pretty good in the preseason. Saw an article a few days ago mentioning that he wasn't playing much though. If he can't get into the lineup at Dundee, it doesn't reflect very well really. Might be worth a shot though.

• 1 month later...

Understand Calder is back at the club following the end of his loan with Dundee.

Having looked at a fan forum, it appears he did ok but got benched for 11-12 matches in a row and never quite got back into the team.

Seems he spouted off on social meeja about it too :( but on the whole, the fans seemed positive about his ability.

I thought he was a central midfielder but it appears that Dundee utilised him on the wing.

Wonder if he'll get a look in in our midfield?

I think that loans often don't give a fair reflection of a player's ability, especially short term ones. He's a good talent, he's versatile but I think that often works against him and in order to progress, he needs to hold down a set position 

13 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think that loans often don't give a fair reflection of a player's ability, especially short term ones. He's a good talent, he's versatile but I think that often works against him and in order to progress, he needs to hold down a set position 

This - he doesn't want to be in Bacuna's position in a few years' time. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Aston Villa youngster joins League One club on loan for first team football

Aston Villa youngster joins League One club on loan for first team football

Riccardo Calder has joined Doncaster Rovers on loan until the end of the season.

Riccardo Calder in action for Aston Villa under-21s
Riccardo Calder

Aston Villa youngster Riccardo Calder has gone back out on loan.

The versatile 20-year-old Bodymoor Heath academy graduate has joined Doncaster Rovers on loan until the end of the season.

Calder also had a spell on loan at Scottish Premier League club Dundee earlier this season.

Doncaster, managed by Darren Ferguson, are 18th in League One.

Calder, who has been at Villa since the age of nine, can play in midfield or defence, and his yet to make his senior debut for the claret and blues.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

He's forced his way back into the side, along with Mason at RB, and it looks like neither of them are giving up their starting spots anytime soon as the team have got back to winning ways recently with them in the side.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/doncaster-rovers-riccardo-calder-determined-to-take-his-chance-1-8224203

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

It seems he returned from loan earlier in the month where he got some decent 1st team experience. Would it be worth training him up as a left back to provide cover for Amavi with Cissokho leaving or is he good enough?

He is very good, he's improved quite a bit over the past few years and he might have a chance of making it here now 

8 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He is very good, he's improved quite a bit over the past few years and he might have a chance of making it here now 

You describe most of our young players as outstanding, so by my reckoning  "very good" on the SGC scale is league 2 standard ;)

11 hours ago, av1 said:

You describe most of our young players as outstanding, so by my reckoning  "very good" on the SGC scale is league 2 standard ;)

Maybe it's an inverted scale?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

So is he now our new Left Back cover then after Cissokho left?

I assume so. I know people say 'Baker can play left back' but only if you give up any hope whatsoever of using your fullback as an attacking outlet. He's not going to power down the flank and whip in a cross is he. If Cissokho goes on loan, I would expect Calder to have played a game or three by season's end. 

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I assume so. I know people say 'Baker can play left back' but only if you give up any hope whatsoever of using your fullback as an attacking outlet. He's not going to power down the flank and whip in a cross is he. If Cissokho goes on loan, I would expect Calder to have played a game or three by season's end. 

Cissokho's gone to Olympiakos

I only saw him once or twice a few years and to me he looked like he could potentially make it.. i know i dont have the SGC seal of approval.. when it comes to our youngsters.. but he did appear to have right ingredients. Would like to see him or Lyden get a run in our midfield this week rather than the piss we have seen so far. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KSV said:

I only saw him once or twice a few years and to me he looked like he could potentially make it.. i know i dont have the SGC seal of approval.. when it comes to our youngsters.. but he did appear to have right ingredients. Would like to see him or Lyden get a run in our midfield this week rather than the piss we have seen so far. 

Oh you do KSV :) I think Calder could be an option at left back in the first team now, Lyden shouldn't be discounted either

Â