Fulham

DoubtGin

So being devils advocate, why don't we just get fit in a gym.....the coaches know all the areas of the body that the player need to be tuned in to.

I do know what you mean and when there is nothing on the game you could say why bust a gut.

....but paradoxically winning is a state of mind and in football it is often said about the top team....."they just know how to win" chelsea & Man U under fergie was past masters.

Winning is always good it breeds confidence and an air of invincibility.....get used to it and you can win when you play below par, that's what champions do.

I,m not of the opinion that winning doesn't matter in preseason.....maybe doesn't matter versus competition.

My understanding from Tim was, he is trying to nurture a winning mentality.....that for me includes everything they play for.

Edited by TRO

Sherwood out then, I guess!

Absolutely not.....just saying that is the goal he will be working towards.

It is great that he has embraced the point himself......it will take much time to change and Instill a culture that he will develop in the fullness of time.

Positives: Kojak back and scoring, and Gil back in consideration. Two players like having decent new signings. Cool, who cares about losing.

Losing does matter even in a game of tiddlywinks .....winning becomes infectious as does losing.

If you don't care about winning friendlies, you're not competitive enough.

It's not that the players don't care, it's that pre season is used to experiment, to get fit and to give game time to people you might not be sure about.

So taking the results as any indication of the coming season is nonsense.

There are a million reasons why we lost to Fulham, but none of them are "Fulham are a better team than us"

Pre season, results wise, does not matter.

It's not that the players don't care, it's that pre season is used to experiment, to get fit and to give game time to people you might not be sure about.

There are a million reasons why we lost to Fulham, but none of them are "Fulham are a better team than us"

Steve......I cannot argue with all of that. .....but you tell Fulham the score didn't matter.

You are right, the results have no meaning, but winning is a good habit to get in to , is all I' m saying.

The mentality of winning is what my point is based on.

If what your saying is correct there is nothing to be gleaned from losing all our preseason games, I' m not sure that is good preparation.

If we lost all our pre season games then I wouldn't be worried in the slightest. 

What happened in the games might give me cause for concern. if we lost them all because our defence were playing like blind one legged dogs, then that would concern me. But the scoreline wouldn't.

We've had great seasons where we've lost to Walsall in pre season. We've had average seasons when we've beaten Inter Milan in pre season.

The mentality of winning is, of course, a good one to have. I just don't think that's built in pre-season.

• Like 1

Not to take as any indication of the coming season, but to instill a winning mentality means we have to start winning. The sooner it happens the better. It can happen in any of our games, at any time. Therefore, I do care if we win in the pre-season too. Not a whole lot, but still. Edited by AVTuco

I want us to win every game. I'm less bothered if we lose friendly games, but I'd still rather that we didn't.

Obviously.

All I'm saying is pre season results have no bearing on how our season will pan out.

If we lost all our pre season games then I wouldn't be worried in the slightest.

What happened in the games might give me cause for concern. if we lost them all because our defence were playing like blind one legged dogs, then that would concern me. But the scoreline wouldn't.

We've had great seasons where we've lost to Walsall in pre season. We've had average seasons when we've beaten Inter Milan in pre season.

The mentality of winning is, of course, a good one to have. I just don't think that's built in pre-season.

I understand your point and yes the content of the games is more important in those games for the manager to assess, but that is mentally as well as physically, so I don't agree it's not built in.....I think all those things are part of the overall appraisal the manager makes....he himself, has touched on having the chance to speak to them and find out if they are"men"

It's just that I cannot reconcile not winning as irrelevant particularly when the real business starts its a results business, no points or prizes for fancy footwork, when the competitive games come and surely that's what we are practising for?

I will agree to disagree.....but I do understand your view.

Edited by TRO

I agree with your view once we get to competitive games.

I'd much rather we were playing full strength teams and winning league cup games, for example, than playing a second string.

And if we play our first XI in a pre season game then I'd want to see them win, because that would be more representative of what to expect from the season.

I just think that games where we're playing a random lineup, full of fringe players and experimental tactics, there really is nothing to be gleaned from the scoreline.