Mark Bunn

villan_007

Decent backup.

Can't see him pushing Guzan though. Guzan is way better.

So another year of Guzan coasting as he knows he's No1.

I imagine Sherwood dropping Guzan last season is more than enough to reassure Guzan that his position isn't safe and if he's not on his game he'll be dropped.

Guzan wasn't dropped because Given was playing really well. He was dropped because he made a mistake. The quality of the backup keeper had little relevance to the situation

Guzan will coast it, knowing as you said Bunn is no where near him in terms of ability. With Shay as proven in the cup games was more than able to step up.

Genuinely, not winding up, is that definitely true? Because without knowing the figures I was under the impression Given was on about £50k, that we then had to pay a percentage of his wages for his final year, say 50%, to enable the move. Then even if Bunn is only on 10k, we're only saving £15k a week, minus any signing on fees.

I know I'm more negatively minded (I like to say realist!) but based on what we KNOW this doesn't make any sense. If he replaces Guzan then it makes more sense. But even then I don't think we should be wasting budget on replacing Guzan anyway, especially if we need to save £15-40k a week to reduce the overall quality of the squad.

If I had to guess at some figures, I would say that Bunn is on no more than £10k p/w and that we're paying no more than £10k p/w towards Given's wages for this season.

If Given was on roughly £50k p/w, then we'll be saving £30k p/w, for a backup keeper who, in normal circumstances, would only play a handful of cup games a season. That's money that can go towards a new signing, and that's good business, in my opinion.

Personally, I think we're paying Bunn and Given even less than £10k p/w, and are actually saving even more, but it's all guesswork.

Regarding Guzan, we still don't know whether he'll be kept as first choice or whether he'll be sold and replaced. After all, the transfer window is still open. I also don't think Guzan would be happy to settle as a back-up keeper if we bought in a new guy, and I'd rather pay Bunn roughly £10k p/w as a back-up, than Guzan £30k p/w to sit on the bench.

Many of us regarded Guzan as our best keeper, so literally, all we have done, is replaced a good backup with an 'ok' backup, with a hefty saving.

Where has this assumption that we will somehow pay part of Given's final year's wages come into things when assessing how much we have saved on bringing in Bunn?  Releasing a player in order to allow him to potentially get game time elsewhere (which at the time was going to be 'Boro) at the tail end of a career does not automatically include paying him for the privilege.  The favour towards Given was in not condemning him to a likely season on the sidelines.

For me unless it comes out as fact to the contrary, we've released a predominantly-backup player that was on at least £50k a week and brought in one who will be on significantly less.  And yes while that has made our squad a little weaker, we can't expect to have a Guzan/Given keeper line-up at our current level, nor does it make financial sense.  It's about balancing the wages whilst keeping us competitive and I think this has probably helped towards that.

Many of us regarded Guzan as our best keeper, so literally, all we have done, is replaced a good backup with an 'ok' backup, with a hefty saving.

But the manager didn't last season as within a few weeks of arriving at the club he had dropped him.

But the manager didn't last season as within a few weeks of arriving at the club he had dropped him.

Steady.  Sherwood arrived on February 14th.  Given played 3 league games, the final 3 of the season, the first of which was 2nd of May.  Hardly within a few weeks.

• Like 1

Steady. Sherwood arrived on February 14th. Given played 3 league games, the final 3 of the season, the first of which was 2nd of May. Hardly within a few weeks.
OK so 10 weeks. Doesn't change the point one bit.

Watched him a lot as at Northampton - second favourite team. He was always a class keeper and a real nice guy. Always thought that with a few extra inches he would have been one of the top goalkeepers this country had produced. Followed him at Blackburn & Norwich because he was a dude, and he always did the job there and let no-one down. Really happy to have him on board for personal and professional reasons - to be honest this slightly low key transfer has got me very excited. Welcome to the Villa Bunny

Steady. Sherwood arrived on February 14th. Given played 3 league games, the final 3 of the season, the first of which was 2nd of May. Hardly within a few weeks.

Your point was that the manager didn't regard Guzan as our best keeper.  Guzan played 9 of the last 12 league games under Sherwood's management until his form dipped and he was replaced for 3 games.  That does not mean Sherwood didn't see Guzan as our best keeper.

• Like 1

Your point was that the manager didn't regard Guzan as our best keeper. Guzan played 9 of the last 12 league games under Sherwood's management until his form dipped and he was replaced for 3 games. That does not mean Sherwood didn't see Guzan as our best keeper.
It certainly suggests it IMO. Also don't think most would drop a keeper straight away after coming in as manager. Guzans dip in form was well set in by the time Tim arrived I would say. Edited by limvillian

Equally, I'd say that by releasing Given from his contract and by keeping Guzan on-board, Sherwood is suggesting that he does regard Guzan as our best keeper.

Equally, I'd say that by releasing Given from his contract and by keeping Guzan on-board, Sherwood is suggesting that he does regard Guzan as our best keeper.

Sort of looks to me that he has not been able to bring in a replacement for Guzan, and that has decided the issue.

Actually as someone who has seen him play a lot I'll give a bit of a better write up. His main weakness is his height. As you can probably see from youtube clips he will often be stretching a little further - which I think always put bigger clubs off him where I guess the game becomes more about each and every minute detail. His distribution as I remember was a very strong point. Plus I was a lot younger when I used to watch and my critical analysis of games was in more formative stages. However - everyone in the town knew he was a few grades above the level he was playing at. In a not so terrible Northampton side he was the clear class or two above player. He was always a popular player and gave a lot to the fans. Everyone was unanimously under the impression that he was top level quality if it wasn't for his height. Most Northampton fans I know have followed his career onwards and kept tabs as he is so popular. He went to Blackburn to be replacement for Robinson when they were still prem if I remember correctly. I also think Robinson was involved with England at the time but I may have timings slightly wrong. And the next I really noticed was at Norwich where he impressed me. His strengths are shotstopping. He has a knack of making the sort of saves which may not be far from him but are nonetheless quite awkward. And I always remember him making quite a few penalty saves - although not sure whether this was my memory being tinted in pretty colours

• Like 2

Where has this assumption that we will somehow pay part of Given's final year's wages come into things when assessing how much we have saved on bringing in Bunn?  Releasing a player in order to allow him to potentially get game time elsewhere (which at the time was going to be 'Boro) at the tail end of a career does not automatically include paying him for the privilege.  The favour towards Given was in not condemning him to a likely season on the sidelines.

For me unless it comes out as fact to the contrary, we've released a predominantly-backup player that was on at least £50k a week and brought in one who will be on significantly less.  And yes while that has made our squad a little weaker, we can't expect to have a Guzan/Given keeper line-up at our current level, nor does it make financial sense.  It's about balancing the wages whilst keeping us competitive and I think this has probably helped towards that.

We are not paying Given anything

Take into account regarding Given he has one year left , we are letting him go without a fee where he can get a 2 year deal so he isn't really going to lose out

Bunn I expect will be there to be experienced cover , Steer perhaps will be sent out on loan again

Â