Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

VillaTalk always want to move players when they're playing well.

Amavi is a very good left back. We've been crying out for a very good left back for years.

I'd rather keep him there as opposed to moving him somewhere else and once again being on the lookout for a left back!

Normally I agree 100% with you on this. Like the crazy idea of moving Richards to right back, which blows my mind. However I also said the same about Bacuna and now I'm not so sure.

Amavi might be another exception, on the basis that he really is THAT good going forward but not *so* great defensively, though better than many think I would say.

Hmmm. I may do a useless here and change my own mind within my own post! I think what he really needs is a grafter in front of him. Perhaps if we can find a decent striker other than Ayew, Ayew can play that role.

I think he's fine defensively.

He was exposed on Sunday a few times, but he was up against one of the fastest players in the league.

On a normal day he's plenty good enough, certainly better than Richardson or Cissokho if he returned.

I agree with Garde's apparent approach of building from the back (although I'm only judging that on one game) so I'm happy for him to keep Amavi at left back where he's playing well to keep that back four solid. If we end up with another left back who is good enough to play there then by all means try pushing Amavi on. But for now it would be a needless tinker, imo.

I don't think he would be a good left midfielder. He beats players with ease from left back because he is generally taking the ball past attacking players and is running into space and overloading the opposition - which he did a few times in the first half against City. Playing from deeper also gives him more time to get his crosses in. At left midfield, I think he would get marked out of the game and wouldn't have as much of an impact. Someone like Grealish or Sinclair is ideal at left wing in front of Amavi, as they occupy the full back and sometimes the left midfielder, and also they have the inclination to cut inside, which then leaves more space on the wing for Amavi when he comes forward.

• Like 1

I don't think he would be a good left midfielder. He beats players with ease from left back because he is generally taking the ball past attacking players and is running into space and overloading the opposition - which he did a few times in the first half against City. Playing from deeper also gives him more time to get his crosses in. At left midfield, I think he would get marked out of the game and wouldn't have as much of an impact. Someone like Grealish or Sinclair is ideal at left wing in front of Amavi, as they occupy the full back and sometimes the left midfielder, and also they have the inclination to cut inside, which then leaves more space on the wing for Amavi when he comes forward.

I read once that Roberto Carlos struggled hugely when moved to Left Midfield at Real Madrid for the exact reason above. He was closed down much quicker and by better defenders than when we was a Left Back and merely attacking open spaces. Amavi is a very good Left Back, i'd like to leave him there.

• Like 3

I read once that Roberto Carlos struggled hugely when moved to Left Midfield at Real Madrid for the exact reason above. He was closed down much quicker and by better defenders than when we was a Left Back and merely attacking open spaces. Amavi is a very good Left Back, i'd like to leave him there.

Roberto Carlos' interview with FourFourTwo stated this precise reason for leaving Inter. Saying Hodgson moved him forward and he only had 20 metres to work in when he wanted 80.

• Like 1

Agreed, wouldn't push Amavi forward to the left midfield position either. Don't know if Grealish is a good idea there either unless he works on his defensive duties because it would leave Amavi's position too exposed as we've seen before. Hope Garde works with Grealish on this then it'd be a great pairing on the left.

Â