Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

I always thought Bouma looked a little like a left sided CB played as a full back. Very good defensive player but the rest was a bit of a struggle for him. That said he was a very good player, and the last very good player we have had in that position.

• Like 1

I always thought Bouma looked a little like a left sided CB played as a full back. Very good defensive player but the rest was a bit of a struggle for him. That said he was a very good player, and the last very good player we have had in that position.

Pretty sure he was a centre half for both PSV and Holland when we signed him and DO'L moved him to LB.

Pretty sure he was a centre half for both PSV and Holland when we signed him and DO'L moved him to LB.

I guess that's why he looked like a CB then hahaha

No, he wasn't. Delaney has also been overly romanticised, despite being a very average player. Not good going forward/technically and a rash tackler.

Delaney was rubbish! His entire game was based on last ditch tackles that he had to make based on his earlier mistakes.
  • Like 3

he actually started out as a left winger

No, he wasn't. Delaney has also been overly romanticised, despite being a very average player. Not good going forward/technically and a rash tackler.

Delaney was rubbish! His entire game was based on last ditch tackles that he had to make based on his earlier mistakes.

He was ok he was nothing special but decent. Always have a lot of time for Delaney as I remember he led a defence of Samuel, Ridgewell and think Aaron Hughes to beat Everton 4-0 when Laursen and Mellberg were injured. Showed leadership and all he got from DOL in the media was scorn :P

He was ok he was nothing special but decent. Always have a lot of time for Delaney as I remember he led a defence of Samuel, Ridgewell and think Aaron Hughes to beat Everton 4-0 when Laursen and Mellberg were injured. Showed leadership and all he got from DOL in the media was scorn [emoji14]

His attitude was never in question, he was just terrible as a player
  • Like 1

He was ok he was nothing special but decent. Always have a lot of time for Delaney as I remember he led a defence of Samuel, Ridgewell and think Aaron Hughes to beat Everton 4-0 when Laursen and Mellberg were injured. Showed leadership and all he got from DOL in the media was scorn [emoji14]

maybe I thought he was OK but if you compare him to Beye, Lowton, Cuellar etc. he definitely wasnt that bad 

Interesting that Bouma has now been elevated 'class act' status. He certainly wasn't thought of THAT highly when he played for us - not a bad player by any stretch but not a 'class act'. 

Amavi, IMO, will be a lot better. 

Yes for the money we have spent on him i am hoping he's a lot better than Bouma

maybe I thought he was OK but if you compare him to Beye, Lowton, Cuellar etc. he definitely wasnt that bad

I'd happily put all three of those on par if not better than Delaney, Delaney was 75% 'theatre' and 25% ability

I think at the time the Bouma-Young partnership down the left flank was one of the best in the league that season. It was so defensively solid and Young could have the confidence of taking on 2,3 men to whip in a ball and have the confidence that if he'd fail Bouma was there behind him to take care of it. 

• Like 2

Interesting that Bouma has now been elevated 'class act' status. He certainly wasn't thought of THAT highly when he played for us - not a bad player by any stretch but not a 'class act'. 

Amavi, IMO, will be a lot better. 

Yes for the money we have spent on him i am hoping he's a lot better than Bouma

I think he is.

He really wasn't.

• Like 2

Bouma was poor for a fair while, turned it round in a home game to Chelsea when he marked a then dangerous Shaun Wright-Phillips out of the game.

Delaney was quality.

Amavi will be up and down, but have a couple of stormers. He'll struggle to be great all season because we're going to take some real tonkings.

I think at the time the Bouma-Young partnership down the left flank was one of the best in the league that season. It was so defensively solid and Young could have the confidence of taking on 2,3 men to whip in a ball and have the confidence that if he'd fail Bouma was there behind him to take care of it. 

it was a good combination but it was short lived, back end of 06-07 and 07-08, we played great football in 07-08, great memories

Â