Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

20 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's too good for the championship hence he didn't bother distinguishing himself at that level. 

I see your point but it is not in any way acceptable that he "didn't bother" although he would not be alone in doing that in football. If he wanted a move the way to do that was to look good last season in the Championship rather than not to bother to do so or sulk about being there.   

dont see the point in selling him if we dont recuperate atleast what we spent. Personally id wish he would stay though as i think he is capable of doing the job when we get back up to the PL. 

how much is left on his contract anyways?

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

:crylaugh:Thank god your not running our club if you value amavi at 2m. 

Just to give you some idea of how ridiculous this sounds. Wolves signed leagues ones Ben Marshall for 2m from Blackburn rovers this year but last season some of the deals

Keemar Roofe was signed by Leeds from Oxford United for 3m

Paddy McNair went to Sunderland for 4.5m

Vydra went to derby for 8m

These are justa  few examples. Amavi is a France U21 he is worth far more than 3m 

Ok, we'll see.

How many of those players you mentioned are left backs? They also went on to to have good seasons whereas Amavi has been piss poor.

12 minutes ago, jim said:

Ok, we'll see.

How many of those players you mentioned are left backs? They also went on to to have good seasons whereas Amavi has been piss poor.

position does not matter, ability and potential does 

I think we will look on at his career and ask why is he doing so much better for his new club than when he was with us. I understand he had some poor games, and I got as frustrated by him as the rest, but he is also, imo, a class player who is a step above what we have in the rest of the squad. Some of his crosses were some of the best I have seen at Villa. He is still only 23 and will develop into a very good player I feel and its a shame he doesn't feel he can achieve what he wants to with us, showing some signs that not all the current squad are confident of promotion this season. I like his honesty in his statement. Hopefully we can put the funds to good use and buy a decent CM or winger.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, jimcohen said:

I think we will look on at his career and ask why is he doing so much better for his new club than when he was with us. I understand he had some poor games, and I got as frustrated by him as the rest, but he is also, imo, a class player who is a step above what we have in the rest of the squad. Some of his crosses were some of the best I have seen at Villa. He is still only 23 and will develop into a very good player I feel and its a shame he doesn't feel he can achieve what he wants to with us, showing some signs that not all the current squad are confident of promotion this season. I like his honesty in his statement. Hopefully we can put the funds to good use and buy a decent CM or winger.  

I don't rate him that high,y to be honest but it's possible he could blossom with better players around him in a similar way to idrissa gueye .

Not suprised at this, seemed to have lost his way towards the end of the season and is at this point still a saleable asset.

No other bigger names have come out as being told they can go....

6 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I don't rate him that high,y to be honest but it's possible he could blossom with better players around him in a similar way to idrissa gueye .

Exactly, I wouldn't say blossomed though, that implies he didn't do it for us, more that he just got the credit for doing his job as others around him were doing theirs. Add a goal scorer , leader at the back and a GK who could cut it to our relegation team and I would say we would have been upper mid table 2 season back and Gueye would be loved by all. Add a GK and decent creative CM who coudl pass it last season and I would say we would have been playoffs. 

SO yeah, I agree, with better players around Amavi, he would look better, but I also think, he has done his job ok and we maybe rate him worse than he is as the rest of our team is exposing him. BUT, he hasn't performed to the level he could, but it must be hard when we dont have the right players around him. Amavi needs a Benteke to flourish. 

15 hours ago, Zatman said:

a. he had a bad injury

b. he was woeful in 2nd tier of English football

c. he has no track record in England to think he will improve or for teams to take a punt on him

He wasn't actually 'woeful'. Not very good, sure, but not 'woeful'. 

• Like 1

2nd choice left back and not good enough for a starting place in midfield - I'm wondering if maybe Hutton or bree will be able to cover left back if needed as we have de- Leat to come back to 3 right backs and one left back should amavi go.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Just to give you some idea of how ridiculous this sounds. Wolves signed leagues ones Ben Marshall for 2m from Blackburn rovers this year but last season some of the deals

These are justa  few examples. Amavi is a France U21 he is worth far more than 3m 

Who are these people?

what he is worth and what we get are different things.

you only get what some club is willing to pay.....his worth is based on that.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Would be very happy to see him go for the right money. 

I think that is the right approach. Amavi is versatile and seemed to be decent at the left mid spot. We could always use players like Amavi, but if the right offer comes in, we should sell especially if we really are being handicapped by Financial Fair Play. Amavi is well worth more than 10m. He is young, a u21 france international, and still has potential. 

position does not matter, ability and potential does 

Poppycock!

Forward players and midfielders command bigger premiums over defensive players. 

How much did we pay for Premier League champion Richie De Laet?

Edited by jim

8 hours ago, Eastie said:

2nd choice left back and not good enough for a starting place in midfield - I'm wondering if maybe Hutton or bree will be able to cover left back if needed as we have de- Leat to come back to 3 right backs and one left back should amavi go.

de Laet can play anywhere across the back 4, supposedly. 

Â