Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

As someone who has had this injury twice, once in each knee, I can honestly say that no injury is the same and it depends on recovery. I also know alot of people who have done their ACL and everyone's recovery has been different. I used to play football to a decent level, although obviously not professionally.

My first ACL rupture was in my right knee (I'm right footed) when I was 22, and I had it repaired by using tendon from behind the knee cap, which is traditional the way the surgery used to be done. The recovery was tough but after a year I was back playing football again and I would say I got back to 95% of what I was before, in fact certain aspects of my game improved - I was much stronger on the ball because I had to adapt the way I played a bit. I also still retained my pace, and probably the only thing that was compromised was my ability to twist and turn, although even that improved with time and the impact of the injury was neglible.

The second time was my ACL in my left knee when I was 30. The reconstruction was done by keyhole surgery using hamstring from my left leg, which is the more common way the surgery is now done and it is much less invasive. The recovery was really brutal after this, partly because it takes a long time to rebuild the strength in the hamstring. I'm now 33 and I would say I'm probably only 70% of the player I was before the second injury, although part of that is probably age.

I guess what I'm saying is that we don't really know how far this injury will affect him - it may have no impact or it may have a massive impact. Plenty of players come back from an ACL injury and are totally fine and recover 100% (or very close to it), but it tends be players who are very reliant on their pace (think Michael Owen) that have this injury and never seem to get back to their best. I don't think this applies to Amavi as he is quick, but its not the main attribute to his game, so he should be to still hit the same speeds.

And obviously Jordan will have access to much better and much more intense treatment than I did! Fingers crossed as he looks the business.

Edited by GeordieVillan
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
What? How old is he really?

Me? What's wrong with what I've said?

Hi! It looks like you're trying to figure out what the hell AVTuco is on about..

It sounds like he was in it in the 1980's. You meant his position is in the 80's.

6469821e8cb7046d249188e11f3a6a36.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

Hi! It looks like you're trying to figure out what the hell AVTuco is on about..

It sounds like he was in it in the 1980's. You meant his position is in the 80's.

6469821e8cb7046d249188e11f3a6a36.jpg

Yes, just a bit of fun Tom13 ;).

• Like 1

I think he'll be here until next January at least.

How many teams spend big money on players who are crocked, I know we did with Downing but we knew what he could do in the premier league.

Teams won't be spending 10m + until he proves his fitness after injury. If he still has the speed he had pre ACL he'll do very well in the championship.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Really hope we keep hold of him and I think we will - nobody will be prepared to fork out the money for him after being injured for most of the season and he seems to genuinely care about the club.

Yeah I think out the current signings he will stay even if we go down for this very reason.

Â