Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

He arrived in the car crash of Tim Sherwood, he suffered a very bad injury, missed most of his first season, also missed pre-season. I am not surprised that he struggled last season after suffering all of that. He was always playing catch up last season. I don't know if he will go on to be a great player or not, he showed early promise but sometimes a serious injury like he suffered can put a big dent in your career. It is good that we have recouped a good fee for him, I wish him well and bear no bad feelings. Good luck Jordan.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I would say, well done to Aston Villa's present management for getting their money back.

taking all things in to consideration....I still saw things that made me cringe defensively.....never rated him like some fans did.

best of luck to him.....and we all move on.

Absolutely, he had severe defensive frailties. Then again the potential was there, and in time he'd probably have developed. His ability with the ball was top notch.

I don't think he was suited for the way we play though. He'll most likely flourish in a possession based team, where he's allowed to mature with ease.

10 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Absolutely, he had severe defensive frailties. Then again the potential was there, and in time he'd probably have developed. His ability with the ball was top notch.

I don't think he was suited for the way we play though. He'll most likely flourish in a possession based team, where he's allowed to mature with ease.

10 minutes ago, vreitti said:

For a team desperate for promotion that would be a very worrying format for us.

I cut my teeth watching Ron Saunders teams.....That was certainly not an option in those days......Ron wanted the last drops out of his players......110% workrate and all that.:)

Jordan never struck me as that sort.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, poitier said:

I wish him the best and glad we got our money back. But I think he was overhyped right from the start and has shown exactly what he is - a failed winger who has been converted to left back despite having no natural defensive ability. That probably sounds harsh, but I don't think he is ever going to excel in either position.

You say that but I remember seeing a stat which said he had the highest tackles in all the top European leagues. Think its more a case of getting a career threatening injury then calming down on his tackles. I honestly think had he not got injured he'd been a great player. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Junxs said:

You say that but I remember seeing a stat which said he had the highest tackles in all the top European leagues. Think its more a case of getting a career threatening injury then calming down on his tackles. I honestly think had he not got injured he'd been a great player. 

Nah, I'm pretty sure that stat was most interceptions, which isn't particularly meaningful.

31 minutes ago, TRO said:

For a team desperate for promotion that would be a very worrying format for us.

I cut my teeth watching Ron Saunders teams.....That was certainly not an option in those days......Ron wanted the last drops out of his players......110% workrate and all that.:)

Jordan never struck me as that sort.

This and this alone... imagine where we'd be, sigh!

He'll probably become a good player somewhere else, as is the way things are with us.

14 hours ago, vreitti said:

Yeah he's clearly not good enough for the championship, that's why one of the biggest clubs in France has loaned/bought him.

We should rather ask ourselves why he didn't want to stick around.

You didn't watch him last season then?

I like the guy but he was utterly dreadful. On that evidence, no, he's definitely not good enough for the Championship.

Maybe he'll drastically improve in future and it'll be an astute signing by Marseille. If not then we've pulled their pants down.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vreitti said:

I couldn't disagree more. 

One of his biggest weaknesses is a lack of composure, so I really don't think possession based football would suit him.

If anything, I'd say quick, counter attacking football would suit him much better. Although that usually requires sitting back and defending for a bit which he is terrible at.

59 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You didn't watch him last season then?

I like the guy but he was utterly dreadful. On that evidence, no, he's definitely not good enough for the Championship.

Maybe he'll drastically improve in future and it'll be an astute signing by Marseille. If not then we've pulled their pants down.

Well we haven't because if he turns out crap for them they just won't buy him.

58 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Well we haven't because if he turns out crap for them they just won't buy him.

They are obligated to buy him. Like we were with Sinclair.

Amavi will go on to bigger and better things. Pretty sure of that.

• Like 1

So according to Xia he IS gone.  The loan before buy is only for payment scheduling reasons.  Probably relating to FFP.  They will be buying. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, poitier said:

I wish him the best and glad we got our money back. But I think he was overhyped right from the start and has shown exactly what he is - a failed winger who has been converted to left back despite having no natural defensive ability. That probably sounds harsh, but I don't think he is ever going to excel in either position.

tumblr_o0eg9ogsAd1rgkg8to1_500.gif

20 hours ago, vreitti said:

Absolutely, he had severe defensive frailties. Then again the potential was there, and in time he'd probably have developed. 

This is the issue I have. There's an assumption out there that if you're a full back and you are decent going forward you can learn to defend. A full backs primary job is to defend. Get one who can do that first and then teach him how to go forward not the other way around. Give me a Dennis irwin over a dani Alves any day of the week. 

As for amavi, delighted to get rid of him. He was vastly over rated on here because he looked flashy going forward. Amazed we got so much for him given that it doesn't look like his career is on an upward trajectory. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 2

Think he'll flourish. That injury rocked him and maybe the English style was too much for him. 

But I think back in France he'll do well. 

Unlike some others I do wish him well. He never bad mouthed us and always tried his bet even if he best at times his best wasn't good enough.

Just hope we've added a good sell on clause, but I trust the doctor to have done so.

• Like 1

Â